News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 29, 2024, 05:22:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: transmission pan replacement gaskets  (Read 5309 times)

Offline kenrunner

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
transmission pan replacement gaskets
« on: September 03, 2012, 08:59:02 PM »
I am losing a lot of t- fluid from around the transmission pan, I have not been able to detect any from farther up. A year or two a go I was talking to a guy who had owned several eagles and had a similar problem and said he found most standard replacement gaskets to be junk but had found one ( I believe he said with metal reinforcement ) that worked well. Since my gasket was replaced fairly recently and the leaking has not slowed down ( except maybe for the first few weeks ) I am hoping someone knows what he was talking about or has found a reliable solution.

Thanks, Ken

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
Re: transmission pan replacement gaskets
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 10:17:03 PM »
I would like to hear more about this gasket your referring to myself and am quite interested. I have the same problem with one of my eagles and on my second eagle  I changed the trans filter three months ago and I installed a double gasket and I noticed today it now has the dreaded drip as well. Car has not even left my garage yet and its dripping. I retightened the bolts just a little and will check again tomorrow but am not holding my breath.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 12:05:10 AM »
I have always found Auto trans gaskets to be tricky.  The reason being they have some elements going against them.  They seal a lot of light fluid and are in a vulnerable spot on a car.  They use small bolts which can only be torqued a small amount usually like 30 in/lbs max.  I have also found transmission pan bolt holes to sort of buldge out over time.  Here are the steps I use to ensure a good seal. 

Once pan is removed clean, check for flatness, straighten if necessary
Check bolt holes on the trans.  I take a counter sink bit and use my cordless drill to make sure there is no buldge
Clean bolt holes on trans
Clean transmission bolts
Use a quality pan gasket- I like cork, but the rubber ones work well too
Install gasket, I dont really like silicone but if the pan is sketchy I will use a light amount
Use a drop of blue thread locker on all the trans bolts.  This keeps them locked in under the light torque
Torque all bolts

This takes time but it works.  The key is the thread locker.  If the bolts get torques too much they blow out the gasket and that causes a leak.

Just my $.02
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 12:09:41 AM »
The gasket for a '94ish Grand Cherokee with 42RE is what you're talking about. Reusable. Pan is better too.

I use the Napa filter kit on a card (I have a spare one or two around since I used to build Mopar trans for police duty years ago)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 87
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 12:16:43 AM »
The gasket we're talking about is Crown/MOPAR # 4295875AC.   Fits 904/998 models.   Find them on-line for anywhere from $12 to $20 each.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 12:27:00 AM »
It was originally designed for the 42RE, which is the 4 speed O/D version of the 9xx trans.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 08:22:02 AM »
mach1mustang351, I have done every step you have recommended except using the blue lock tight. Guess I will knock them both down and try this one more time. To be honest this is getting quite old and creases to be fun but thanks for the advise.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 08:37:12 AM »
I guess this seems to be a common issue; I thought that everybody who touched the thing (including myself) was completely incompetent. First a buddy and I replaced it, then I had my mechanic do it again (who obviously knows what he is doing since he did a beautiful job on my rear end replacement). I may have to try this.....
My list of my cars/toys (or toys at my disposal!)

1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic
1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville
 1962 Cruisers Inc Mahogany Outboard

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline mechanic80

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • 87 Limited Wagon
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 08:51:52 AM »
I found that my biggest error was over tightening the bolts which distorted he gasket. 
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everyone's  NOT out to get you! :amc:

Offline kenrunner

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 11:43:21 AM »
Thanks for the replies, this is helpful. I had a feeling this must be something that others were encountering also and indeed, from the responses, it appears to be an issue that that is not uncommon.
Ken

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 11:52:50 AM »
I found that my biggest error was over tightening the bolts which distorted he gasket.  
and the pan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk