News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 23, 2024, 05:17:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dies in gear  (Read 2674 times)

Offline jtvette

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Dies in gear
« on: September 02, 2012, 03:06:46 PM »
I don't know if I have the right section or not so bear with me.
I am new to the forum and I try to use the search function to answer any of my questions.
However I am stumped on this problem. The car is a 1986 Base model Eagle with the ECM Test bypass.
The car was working fine until a few days ago it was staring hard and it sounded like it was only running on a few cylinders. It only lasted a minute or two and then the car drove fine.
I had planned to do the carb upgrade and thought this was a carb or ignition issue.
So i thought I would do it all at once over the weekend.
I just installed the mc2100 carb from Gronk and did the poor mans hei upgrade. I used a good Wells module.
The car now idles fine and I have the timing set very close. I checked with a vacuum gauge and the timing light.
My problem starts when I put the car in gear. Then it will just die. It is just like someone shut off the key.
I just installed a new set of manifold gaskets and the bolts are tight. Was surprised to find that there was no exhaust gasket on the car when I went to replace them.
The car has a new fuel filter and just put new spark plugs in a little while ago.
I can't find any vacuum leaks and all that is hooked up right now is the brakes, distributor and pcv.
All other ports have been capped off.
I am not sure what i messed up but any suggestions would be helpful.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.
                  Joe
I will try to check this often to answer any other questions

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Dies in gear
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 07:23:46 PM »
Sounds like the idle is too low or your torque converter is acting up. Lift one rear wheel (in 2wd) and start it in neutral (block the rest of the wheels so it doesn't roll away) then without your foot on the brake, pop it into drive and see if it stalls. If not, then try stopping with the brakes. If it stalls, the torque converter has probably jammed inside or the pressure line on the valve body is getting fluid when it shouldn't. (or there is stioll an adjustment problem)
   You did the n utter bypass ?
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline jtvette

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 09:31:06 PM »
Yes I have done the bypass.
I will try jacking the car up in the morning and see what happens.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Joe

Offline jtvette

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 02:07:42 PM »
I tried jacking the car up and putting it in gear. The wheels spun and it worked fine, in both forward and reverse.
If i but my foot on the brakes the car would stall.
I checked the spark and it is firing fine. I also did a compression check on three cylinders and they all checked around 160. I also checked the pickup coil with a test light and it seemed fine.
My Father and I are at a loss on what is going on.
The fuel pump seems to be ok also.
Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
                  Joe

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 05:34:42 PM »
If it dies when you hit teh brakes the converter is probably toast. Does it die in reverse too? If not, you may be able to salvage it by dropping the trans pan and plugging off the tube for the lockup (on top of the valve body) I was able to do that with my '83 wagon I had before.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline jtvette

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 07:54:04 PM »
thanks for the help guys.
I will look into the convertor more tomorrow.
Hopefully I can figure it out.

Thanks,
           Joe

Offline jtvette

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 10:30:09 AM »
Well I checked a few more things over this morning.
The bad news is that my trans fluid was very black and nasty looking.
I guess it is not an electrical problem.
Thanks again for all the help guys. Now I will have to see how bad the damage is.

Thanks,
                  Joe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk