News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 07:32:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Torque converter stalling motor?  (Read 6662 times)

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
Torque converter stalling motor?
« on: August 29, 2012, 10:19:13 AM »
Hey guys I am having trouble with the 85 wagon. The car starts up fine and runs mint but when it is fully warmed up ( say I go from my house to my job which is a 20 minute drive) I will put it in reverse to back into a spot and the car will stall. if I put it in neutral I can start it again but if I put it into drive she stalls again  I was thinking it could be a torque converter issue but I am not sure I am open for any suggestions please help
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 01:02:40 PM by 85AmCfreak »
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Torque converter stalling motor?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 09:32:59 PM »
Could be a loose intake/carb body gaskets too.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 12:26:25 AM »
Could be a loose intake/carb body gaskets too.
My vote is closer to this. Check your carb installation and idle settings and look for any vacuum leaks. What you described is pretty common with these cars when there's a serious intake problem. Usually vacuum related. x_x
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 12:39:17 PM »
I don't think its a carb intake problem, if I jiggle the shifter back and forth it will stall also I was thinking that it could be something weird with the neutral safety switch but I don't think so.
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 03:02:01 PM »
So it behaves perfectly fine in park but once it's in gear it stalls? Does it struggle trying to stay running or does it just immediately die?
1983 Limited
M35-273 {???}

Rebuild:
???

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 05:41:45 PM »
Yes Mernsy I checked the level and it is good, nice and red. Good suggestion though, It dies Immediately daemonforce I don't know, sounds like a converter issue to me

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 07:54:50 PM »
It dies Immediately
Converter.

:/

I just spent another day redoing vacuum lines and spraying a bunch of oil out of my engine compartment. I fixed the leak but my headers still catch fire. Yay. x_x

It's so hard to remember all the death crap even though I've gone through it too. These days the problem is more towards the engine running away instead of killing itself.
1983 Limited
M35-273 {???}

Rebuild:
???

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 09:21:44 PM »
Oh what a Fun job looks like I am gonna have to start sourcing a torque converter any suggestions on upgrades?

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 01:38:14 AM »
A manual transmission? :/
1983 Limited
M35-273 {???}

Rebuild:
???

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 04:31:57 PM »
What part of the country? I get upgraded ones from Sea-Tac trans with a brazed (not welded) billet neck.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 05:30:56 PM »
A manual transmission? :/
I actually have the conversion for my other eagle, Not this one though its my daily driver. I live in the city, I don't want my left leg pressing 700 pounds in the gym from that clutch LOL.

What part of the country? I get upgraded ones from Sea-Tac trans with a brazed (not welded) billet neck.

Staten island Ny

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 12:04:03 AM »
So I have been working a lot not really able to get on the computer that often. This problem seems to only happen when it rains or I bring the car to the car wash. Very unusual problem, I am leaning more towards an electrical issue. But again its only happening when I move the gear selector or jiggle it side to side.

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 09:46:01 PM »
An AW-4. You need the transmission computer from an early Cherokee, the TPS hooked up somehow, and the kickdown cable connected. You'd want to move to gears higher than 3.07 to take advantage of it, but they're good transmissions.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 10:16:51 PM »
I agree Benm but to be very honest I just rebuilt the trans less than 4 years ago and changing the gears at this point is just not in my budget. I really doubt it to be a transmission torque converter issue at this point.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 12:08:56 PM »
I agree. I would look at the plug wires and all underhood connectors. (take them apart and spray with electronic cleaner) and see if the carb body is loose. Moisture in the air can mess with the choke as well. It may be set too tight. Also, when it rains, it can drip onto the manifolds (where I have an oil puddle right now) which gets sucked into the motor through the gasket and causes running issues.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk