News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 21, 2024, 03:20:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Project lil' Eagle  (Read 12015 times)

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
Re: Project lil' Eagle
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 11:34:26 AM »
Holy crap on a cracker, I've never seen a hole like that in an engine, especially with a cast iron block! At least the hood paint looks nice lol.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline TheWraith

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 07:45:26 AM »
I witnessed a 258 in a Jeep drive all day with a hole like that in the side of the block.  I didn't think it would make it another five minutes but it just kept going and going.  We were deep in the woods and the owner figured he might as well get it as close to the trail head as possible.  We were all amazed when he made it out and put it on the trailer under its own power.  Needless to say that was the last time that engine ran.  If I didn't see it myself I wouldn't had believed it.  Pretty amazing engine the 258.

If you don't mind the suggestion, send that picture in to Car Craft for thier broken-engine-part page.
I am what Willis was talking about.

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 50
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 10:19:31 PM »
well if i remember right the 258 is based off the jeep engine used during world war two which was designed to be able to go a good distance without oil just in case when soldiers were fired upon and say a stray bullet put a whole in the block they could easily drive it to safety.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2012, 02:43:52 AM »
There is another thread somewhere where I admit being on here a little too much.  Well I haven't posted in a few days. 

On Tuesday a hurricane hit anchorage.  We had strong winds pushing 100mph in some parts of town.  I lost my power until about 1 am this morning.  I did remember to bring my hood inside before it blew away.  Crazy storm.  I have a mountain climb tomorrow but if I dont gas out too bad I hope to tackle some of the metal removal and fix planning. 
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2012, 12:41:02 AM »
Well I was really hoping to put together a build thread but it seems like all I am able to do on this darn SX4 is to take things apart to assess the work needed. 

I was feeling a little beat down today because of a mountain climbing thing I did yesterday.  I decided to challenge myself and I did better than expected.  I am not in the shape I used to be but I found out I am still there mentally and my heart is there to push when tired.  That was exciting.  Anyway, I was tired and sore this morning so I didn't get out to the garage until about 5 and was able to put in a couple hours.  Here is the results from today.

I cut out the outer rocker on the drivers side.  It was rotten and I needed to assess the damage to the inner panel.  The above are some of the highlights.  There is a lot going on here. 

I then tore out the interior to see what is going on.  I managed to find $0.92 when I pulled out the carpet so I got a bonus there.  The rusty looking drivers side floor board is in fact solid and this rust is surface.  First break of the project!!!  The rust on the inner rocker goes all the way up to the door jam.  Oh Boy!!

Fleet:

1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2012, 12:47:46 AM »
Here is a couple other fun ones. 

I thought the bolt stripped... not exactly

Even the aluminum door sill cover couldn't escape the corrosion

Fleet:

1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 03:56:08 PM »
That's exactly what my aluminum sills look like. I gave them a quick spray of clear coat before reinstalling to prevent further corrosion until I get new ones.

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012, 04:40:44 PM »
 :o Dang, that's what the Black Mamba's aluminum door sills look like too. Wouldn't have thought that those things would corrode like that, until I seen the Mamba's.
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline jim

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2012, 07:52:04 PM »
Some time ago I offered for sale a pretty decent set of door sill plates but no one wanted them.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline max98059

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2012, 08:09:52 PM »
theres a web sit out there.where you can by repops of the door sill pans for the spirit and they are the say as the sx4

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 02:22:20 AM »
Worked on the SX4 a little today.  Worked on cutting out the bad metal on the drivers inner rocker.  Still deciding how to approach the metal repair.  Since moving to AK I have lost my metal working tool connection.  I may have to invest in a bending brake.  I can do the tack, heat and bend method but with the volume of work that needs done that may be impractical.  Still gotta think on it.
Fleet:

1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline TheWraith

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 09:05:20 AM »
If you have access to a shop/hydraulic press, you can put a 90 degree bend in a piece of steel by pressing it between two pieces of angle iron.  Of course it would be limited on length.  Just a thought.

Besure your angle iron jig is built right and secure in the press so as to avoid injury.  Easy/cheap to build, just be safe.
I am what Willis was talking about.

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2012, 12:31:14 AM »
The new puppy has turned out to be more work than the most busted of Eagles.  Hopefully picking up my donor car next week.  Then I will have my engine, and 5 speed trans, and some other goodies. 
Fleet:

1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2012, 01:55:24 AM »
Hey Max, do you have a link for those Spirit sills? I might be interested in new ones someday :P

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2012, 12:48:26 AM »
No pics today team but I did some work to the rig finally.  I finished cutting the last of the rusty metal out of the drivers side rockers.  The rust extended into the floor pan a little bit and into the kick panel some.  I also found the parking brake cable was broken so, that was easy to remove.  I started pulling the under coat off of the inside of the drivers front wheel well so I can POR15 and re coat to prevent future rust. 

Upon probing I found a small amount of rust around the upper control arm bolt.  This lead me to roll my eyes, say some choice language, and then pull the spring, shock and upper control arms on both sides to investigate.  There is a small pin hole portion only on the drivers side.  Should be an easy grind, and make a small reinforcement.  I also found a couple "about to be issues" that should be easily fixed with some grinding and sealing.  I also pulled the master cylinder for replacement and cleaned the garage.

I got another half a bucket of rust, dirt and leaves for the trash bin.

Tough day.  It still seems like I cant manage to get anything fixed just more taken apart. 

*sigh*   
Fleet:

1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk