News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 29, 2024, 07:17:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sometimes completely gutless at highway speeds, minor surging occasionally....  (Read 3190 times)

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
Note: This does not happen ALL the time, but often enough for me to raise concern.  Also, I am not sure if this is actually transmission related.

Second Preface: My kickdown linkage is basically incomplete. If I do not want my car to shift WAY early, I manually upshift it.  (It will also not downshift by itself obviously without coming to a stop)

Sometimes when driving at highway speeds, I will notice that the car does not want to accelerate (it will maintain about 55).  I can floor the pedal and feels like literally nothing. I know our cars are slow, but highway passing is fine when it is not doing this.  Then, when I come to a stop, first and second feel sluggish too...and my temp will raise slightly (not dangerously though).  Here is the real weird part: if I put the car in park, the car WILL stall if it has been doing this.  Restart--no more problem.

What could this possibly be?  If I replace/repair my kickdown linkage...could that help?  I am MUCH more concerned about keeping my tranny in tip-top shape now that I just replaced my rear end...I cannot afford to replace two out of three of the most expensive parts on the car at this time.

Thanks in advance Nest!
My list of my cars/toys (or toys at my disposal!)

1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic
1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville
 1962 Cruisers Inc Mahogany Outboard

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
Got it. Understood.

1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
So that has everything to do with the lack of power, stalling when putting into park, etc?  Also, fluid still looks great and it NEVER does this except at highway speed, so maybe I'll park it until I can get it into a shop to take a peek at what is going on to prevent more issues from occuring

1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
Sounds like a broken torque converter to me.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Sounds like the lockup is staying engaged or teh knock sensor is retarding timing seriously. When passing, try manually going to second gear. I dropped the valve body on mine and plugged off the lockup tube with a ball bearing.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline TheWraith

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
Sounds like the lockup is staying engaged...

I am what Willis was talking about.

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
I was wondering that too....didn't '85's not have lockup converters though?

Also, it does not do this all the time. I am actually wondering about the timing thing, because off the highway, there is sharp turn with a serious bump in it I go over sometimes by my house. One day it did the same type of thing, and this is 30-35 mph. Again, turn off the car, restart, fine (my local gas station is right there). Huh. Either way, I need to find a linkage kit. Any ideas here? I have not had great luck.

1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk