News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 15, 2024, 08:17:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: carter bbd help  (Read 3158 times)

Offline max98059

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
carter bbd help
« on: August 13, 2012, 03:32:56 PM »
so my car runs great and idles good until i put it under a heavy load and push the gas peddle down to the floor and let back up.it then stalls and wont idle until i revers 2 and 4 plug wires then it idles great. need help getting this fixed. i also welcome anyone who wants to stop by i live in lynnwood wa

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
Re: carter bbd help
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 09:29:33 PM »
Hmmm, that's odd. Let's start here: Firing order on the 258 6-cylinder is 1-5-3-6-2-4. The distributor rotates clockwise.
Start with where the #1 wire fits into the distributor cap and go around clockwise. The next wire should lead to the #5 plug, and so on.

You say the engine idles OK, so I don't think there's an intake leak. It couldn't hurt, however, to put a vacuum gauge on the fitting in the intake manifold. You will have to temporarily disconnect something, most likely the brake booster.
At idle it should read around 12 inches and remain steady. An unsteady or unusually low vacuum gauge indicates a bad engine valve or a vacuum leak.

These two conditions are common. When you have gone through these ideas post up with what you've found and let's go from there.
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline max98059

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 01:28:28 AM »
i checked the vacuum i am getting -15psi and the firing order is right it prrrs nice right after i make it back fire to clean the carb out. but i am now soaking the carb with p.i. by amsoil. carnuck and me r thinking its gonk in the bowl of the carb. but i am not a 100% sure.

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 11:10:29 AM »
OK...that's excellent vacuum. Tell us what happens after you soak the carburetor. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline max98059

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 02:54:49 PM »
so after 30 mins of cranking and sputtering it fired up and ran good. so far so good went on a lil drive. i think the pi strait into the carb fixed it.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 12:40:02 PM »
That PI is great stuff. Apparently it's acting up again so I'm heded over to pop the top and fix it (crud in the idle portion of the carb usually does it)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 05:54:00 PM »
And don't forget the "drill the bottom of the idle bleed tubes out to 0.30" AMC Service Note -- usually keeps it from happening again.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 12:12:23 AM »
.030 not .3 ;)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 07:01:32 PM »
Yep; my bad.   Chalk me up with a typo!!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 07:28:56 PM »
Youre not the only one. I see it all over the net that way too. 1/3 of an inch (bigger than 1/4"!) is waaaay too much! Max98059 and I got the hand drill for torch tips and cleaned his out (flat spot was still there because the stepper motor needs reset and the computer is gone so we swapped carbs. )
 He got the Holy Grail non-computerized rebuilt BBD I had stashed away from my '77 Pacer (only the link rod pivot was reversed)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk