News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 26, 2024, 04:58:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Restoring Wheels  (Read 3705 times)

Prafeston

Restoring Wheels
« on: July 12, 2012, 09:29:49 AM »
Any tips on restoring some wheels? I've got a set of the Cherokee TurboCast wheels and they are in pretty rough shape...well at least two of them are. I purchased one wheel awhile ago and it wasn't too bad, but I took a wire brush to it with my cordless drill and it turned out pretty good. It's not perfect, but looks better. Started doing the same thing with one of the bad wheels I just purchased and it's taking a lot of elbow grease and battery power. One spoke and a bit of the rim ate up two batteries.

Was wondering if there is an easier way besides just taking them to a shop and having them refinished...

Here are some pics of what the wheels look like.

This is what the original wheel looked like...with one spot I had already wire wheeled.

And here is the finished product.

Now the new wheels have some deeper corrosion so it's taking a bit longer to get it cleaned up nicely. Not to mention a little more force down on the wire wheel.

Here's the whole wheel with the one spot I already did.

And a close up pic of the spot I cleaned up last night.

Offline philotomy

• Northeast Kingdom, VT.Eagle
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
  • AMC guy 'till the day I die
Re: Restoring Wheels
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 09:43:30 AM »
I'd take em to my fav mechanic friend and see if they could  blast em with something easier than sand,shouldn't cost much maybe $5 per rim?
Philotomy,(my old  D+D Hobbit character) noun,pronounced "fil oto mee",but you can call me Don
1987 Eagle station wagon 4.2 mpfi

Prafeston

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 09:53:21 AM »
I live in a pretty small town and I personally don't know anyone that does sand/media blasting. I was looking into purchasing my own last night...but it doesn't seem worth it to me...not sure how much use I'd get out of it and I don't have a compressor so that's two things I'd have to buy.

Gonna put a wanted ad out on the local classified. See if that yields anything.

Offline philotomy

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 10:00:26 AM »
I know how you feel ,my mech is 26 miles away,and have no way of towing down there for him to do his thing.it may be worth it though,I can't see trying to do it by hand and yeah the cost vs use of getting one...I think I'd start blasting everything . ::)
Philotomy,(my old  D+D Hobbit character) noun,pronounced "fil oto mee",but you can call me Don

Prafeston

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 01:52:17 PM »
What are those Turbine/TurboCast wheels made out of? Is it a steel or aluminum alloy or something?

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 02:33:12 PM »
I blasted mine with Glass.  Turned out nice, but I can't tell you how to re-do that Machined look on the outer of the spokes.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 03:26:49 PM »
Aluminum.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Prafeston

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 03:31:06 PM »
Thanks Eaglefreek.

I found this on another forum.

"Aircraft stripper (to remove factory grey paint) then #00 steel wool then clear coat makes these wheels looks perty."

There was a pic but it was attached so I can't link to it. The wheel did look pretty good.

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 04:36:17 PM »
Thanks Eaglefreek.

I found this on another forum.

"Aircraft stripper (to remove factory grey paint) then #00 steel wool then clear coat makes these wheels looks perty."

There was a pic but it was attached so I can't link to it. The wheel did look pretty good.

Prafeston

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 04:38:09 PM »
Nice! Good find. I couldn't figure out how to get the Image Location. It wasn't working when I tried.

Offline philotomy

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 05:08:55 PM »
sweet

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 08:11:40 PM »
I tried the aircraft stripper on 2 of the same exact wheels. It didn't work for me. I spent half a day and the wheels looked worse. It only took patches of the factory paint off. I took the wheels to a wheel refinishing place to get media blasted and luckily they check all wheels before performing any work. One was bent and the other was warped. I was lucky a scored 5 of them in decent shape when I was in CO. Good luck.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk