News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 15, 2024, 05:28:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Crankcase pan  (Read 3366 times)

Offline EagleJoe93

• "You'll know it's me when I roll through your town. I'm gonna ride around in style. I'm gonna drive everybody wild, cause I'll have the only one there is around."
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
Crankcase pan
« on: June 26, 2012, 06:11:36 AM »
I am in need of a crankcase pan for the 258 in my 86. Either someone jacked it up in the wrong place or went off roading a little too hard because there is a nice size dent in it. I was curious as to if all model years would work on my car or if there are differences in certain model years.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited. Work in progress. Most likely have the only one in town. :)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Crankcase pan
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 08:17:42 AM »
That pan is not made anymore and is eagle specific. can it be straightened? Might be easir to fix than acquire.

Manitowoc WI

Offline EagleJoe93

• "You'll know it's me when I roll through your town. I'm gonna ride around in style. I'm gonna drive everybody wild, cause I'll have the only one there is around."
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 08:25:13 AM »
We could possibly bend it back out but we are worried about the risk of possibly cracking it. If i need to get a replacement I want to know if all 258's in all model years had the same pan or if there were certain model years where they were different.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited. Work in progress. Most likely have the only one in town. :)

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 08:57:06 AM »
I believe all the Eagle 258 pans were the same, but the Jeep and other AMC pans are different.  As mudkicker said, you may want to try to fix it, otherwise you'll need to find one off another Eagle.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 09:04:31 AM »
I guess we could try and bend it back out and see how it goes. If I have to replace it, then there are some members with parts cars that I'll see if I could get it from them.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 11:42:44 AM »
Put an ad in the wanted section for an oil pan. I'm sure there are a few laying around in some garages.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 03:17:15 PM »
No need to worry about cracking your oil pan when you try bending it back, it is easily weldable.  The best way to hammer them back I found was to use a hammer handle on the inside of the dent with the outside of the pan resting on a sturdy piece of wood such as a 2x6.  If it cracks? Just continue to form the metal how you need it and take it to a local automotive or exhaust shop and they'll likely weld it up for you for a decent price, then just grind it down with an angle grinder or on a bench grinder, paint, and wolah.  Good part about welding is you'll never have to worry about that area cracking again, haha.

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 09:08:13 PM »
Okay, I guess we'll try bending it back then. I know someone who is a professional welder so that won't be a problem.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk