News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 15, 2024, 10:42:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: im ditching the smog pump and a/c  (Read 2904 times)

Offline jspeez13

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
im ditching the smog pump and a/c
« on: June 18, 2012, 06:15:34 PM »
ha, now how would i hook up the serpentine belt? i guess i have to switch to a V belt set up.  anybody have any insight? or pulley set up for v belt?

Offline TheWraith

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: im ditching the smog pump and a/c
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 09:19:51 PM »
You don't want to keep the A/C??
I am what Willis was talking about.

Offline jspeez13

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 10:20:17 PM »
well, it doesnt work.  i dont ever use ac very much anyway.  im kicking around the idea of doing an on board air mod with the ac compressor. i will be using the eagle for surf trips to the beach and will have to air the tires down every time so onboard air will be very useful.  im still just trying to figure out what direction im going to go with things. 

Offline TheWraith

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 07:10:31 AM »
A/C is like black magic.  I lot of people I've met claimed they knew how to repair them but when I asked for help nobody knew how.  Two years ago I got tired of having a bunch of vehicles with broken A/C (wife didn't enjoy it either).  I decided to figure this top secret stuff out.  After a lot of reading I dropped the cash for some good quality tools and tackled the my first A/C repair job.  Since then I've repaired two more.  It's time consuming, the parts aren't cheap, and since I'm not a repair shop with a leak detector I'm still doing some guessing but the rewards have been worth it thus far.  It's not a quick easy job by no means, but it was nice when I had to turn the A/C up in the car yesterday on the ride home because it was getting to cold. ;D

There is a serpentine clutch available for the York compressor, but I can't remember the details.  I do know the York compressors came with at least two different cranks.  The end of the crank where clutch attaches is different so the clutches are not interchangable.  I'm thinking a serpentine clutch was used on the biggest York but it's been a good while since I researched it (my memory isn't very good).  I do know there is aftermarket support in the form of a serpentine clutch for the biggest York, but it isn't cheap.

Onboard air rules.   There are countless articles on the internet on how to go about it, so I won't  bore anybody with what few details I do know.  I'm collecting parts to build my own.  Thus far I have a good working large York compressor and all the fittings, pressure regulator, safety pressure release valve, and an air tank.  Still need a coalescing filter, pressure switch, air line, and of course a way to mount the compressor.  Thinking of dropping the coin on serpentine clutch when the time comes.

Of course a 20 pound CO2 tank is a lot cheaper and easier.  If you haven't, you might consider going that route just because it can be had now with min effort.  I know some guys use them to power their air lockers in addition to airing up their tires after wheeling.
I am what Willis was talking about.

Offline jspeez13

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 07:28:37 AM »
haha black magic.  you are right i considered trying to work onn it myself but had this image of me releasing some terrible gas into my face.  ive seen some people just use the factory ac pump for a compresor.  i could go that route, get a new smog pump and keep the belt set up that i have.  thanks for bouncing ideas back an forth.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 01:30:36 PM »
You can get a bypass for the AC pump. It's just a pulley. The AIR pump is a different story and needs rerouting of the belt to get rid of.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 01:45:17 PM »
You can get a bypass for the AC pump. It's just a pulley. The AIR pump is a different story and needs rerouting of the belt to get rid of.

You can get creative as i did on my 2 strokers. one has another alt which is used as a welder. the other i just moved the alt to where the pump was. just takes creativity with brackets. and a different sized belt

Manitowoc WI

Offline jspeez13

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 10:42:35 PM »
im gonna rig up blender for margaritas :o

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk