News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 26, 2024, 05:12:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: strut rod bushings  (Read 3659 times)

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
strut rod bushings
« on: June 01, 2012, 06:49:37 PM »
Got my new strut rod bushings today from Rockauto. Moog part number K3090 and they look very nice Except! The one washer appears at least to me to be backward! There are two heavier washers that are facing the right way but the two smaller washers look backward. Having a hard time trying to figure how they are supposed to work like that. Looked at the instructions and they also show the two smaller washers at least to me as backward. Was wondering if any of you have used these and if so were yours the same way. I may be nuts but they sure look backwards to me!
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 87
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: strut rod bushings
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 08:27:08 PM »
The one that looks like an umbrella covering the rubber goes toward the front of the car (toward the control arm).   The one that looks like an umbrella that's been blown inside-out in the wind goes toward the rear.   Also, the washer on the front one should have "this side towards front" (or something like that) stamped into it.   

Also be careful when you tighten up the big nuts.   Its very easy to NOT get the steps on the bushing into the bracket holes!!   I just replaced a set on my gremmie due to the PO doing just that.

And be sure whoever aligns it does not loosen the big nuts too far; as the steps on the bushings can pop out.  I do my own alignments (yes, I have an alignment setup on my 4-post lift), and when adjusting the caster you should tighten one big nut as you loosen the opposite nut.  That way the bushing can't pop out of its little step in the strut rod bracket.   Make sense??
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 09:07:45 PM »
Yeah it all makes sense and thanks! Just don't understand why the rear washer is backwards. At least to me anyway.Like you said a umbrella turned inside out describes it well. Seem like it should be like the front one.

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 87
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 09:51:57 PM »
Yeah; don't know why they did it that way either.   Maybe so the washer doesn't "pinch" the rubber when it pivots as the suspension moves -- who knows.   The front one gets all the force put on it, so that washer is probably shaped like it is to try to keep the rubber from splitting as it gets beaten and squashed when hitting bumps and braking.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 07:25:49 PM »
Yes, the bushings are supposed to be like that. Some other guys established in my project thread that these are a "problem solver" part, which Moog does with a lot of their products.

This is the driver side, and it should be the OPPOSITE of what is pictured. I put them on backwards, and still need to switch them. Also, I would suggest slathering the insides with anti-seize lubricant. It prevents squeaks, and the sleeves won't rust tight to the bar (like my old ones did).

You should also check the brackets they are attached to. If the holes are worn out and egg shaped, it would be best to replace the bracket to prevent further wear.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 08:51:09 PM »
Hey thanks guys.I believe tomorrow the ole girl is gonna get her new strut rod bushings and her new steering stabilizer.Wanted to do it today but the honey do list got in the way.Now that,thats done I got time to play with my other love and this one never complains but she sure likes my money, what little I have or did have. Oh well I love them both anyway. Thanks again!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk