News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 04:18:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: More wires than needed.  (Read 8491 times)

Offline jspeez13

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Re: More wires than needed.
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2012, 10:31:44 AM »
i didnt think that removing it was a must.  i just wanted to remove any thing i didnt need to worry about.  wiring is my weakness as far as mechanic skills. i thought it would make it easier to find and diagnose any other problem i may be having and make it easier to trace and repair critical systems.  when you say i dont require any wiring modifactions are you saying i dont have to do the bypass?  my understanding was that doing the bypass was must do when installing the MC carb.

Offline jspeez13

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2012, 10:42:51 AM »
is this my situation as well? this one of your quotes from another topic.

"All 82 Eagles should have computer controlled carbs. However, the ignition timing control was set up differently on the 82s than it was on the 83 and later models. If your ignition module has 3 harnesses coming out of it, the 1 with the yellow and black wires is for the ECM to control timing. Its called dual mode external timing control. The ECM is not between the distributor and ignition module (like it is on the 83 and ups).  To bypass, all you should have to do is unplug the yellow/black harness and unplug the stepper motor. You might want to replace the ignition module with one from a non 82 Eagle."

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2012, 01:22:38 PM »
is this my situation as well? this one of your quotes from another topic.

"All 82 Eagles should have computer controlled carbs. However, the ignition timing control was set up differently on the 82s than it was on the 83 and later models. If your ignition module has 3 harnesses coming out of it, the 1 with the yellow and black wires is for the ECM to control timing. Its called dual mode external timing control. The ECM is not between the distributor and ignition module (like it is on the 83 and ups).  To bypass, all you should have to do is unplug the yellow/black harness and unplug the stepper motor. You might want to replace the ignition module with one from a non 82 Eagle."

Since you have a California 81, this situation does not apply to you. 81 Eagles with Computers use the computer to control fuel mixture, and the air injection system. 82 Eagles use the computer to control fuel mixture, air injection, and ignition timing. 83 Eagles do the same, however the ECM is located between the distributor and ignition module, so the ECM has to be taken out and bypassed. 

But since, yours is an 81 and there is no ignition timing control, the distributor is wired directly to the ignition module, and there are no wires to bypass. Also, unlike my quote above, your ignition module should only have 2 harnesses (unlike 3 on the 82). So there is no wiring modifications to make to put on the new MC carb.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline jspeez13

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2012, 05:16:28 PM »
i checked, i have the two harness ignition module that is wired directly to the dist.   It was fooling me because the orange and purple wires were tied up in the bundle in a way that made it look like they went to computer then to the dist. this is all making so much more sense.  as soon as i talk to the exhaust shop and get the final word that i will never need that stuff it will be in the mail to asap.

Offline bonedaddy

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2012, 01:30:35 AM »
HEY! Sorry I havent been on, to much crap going on to mess with the car. We had to move suddenly, and tomorrow will be the first time I drive the car since before I cut it up. Only about 3 miles, but I'll let you know how it goes. So far, I have removed everything that the computer was attached to. The car still starts and runs fine. I know the PO did the MSD upgrade, but I don know what else he did. There is still a lot of disconnected wires and what not. For instance, I have yet to find the diode pack, although I haven't thrown anything out...it's a rolling mystery! I'll keep you posted.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk