News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 30, 2024, 04:16:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A hello from a prosepctive SX4 owner  (Read 13884 times)

Offline lapoltba

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 14
Re: A hello from a prosepctive SX4 owner
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2012, 04:50:17 PM »
Well, after doing a little research, it's likely NOT the sport model.  From the dealer ordering guide, there wasn't a blue option available for it.  It does have the spoiler, center console, and rear window louvers though.  The side louvers weren't there so i'm assuming the rear was added after the fact.

Will post pictures as soon as it comes home to me!   :blob1:

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2012, 05:31:06 PM »
The last two sets of rear louvers I've seen sold were $400 and $450. By the sound of it you hit the jackpot!

We'll know if its a sport as soon as you post pictures. Even if it isn't you have a well optioned, valuable car.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

rohnk

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2012, 06:50:57 PM »
Congratulations! Welcome to the SX/4 club!

Offline lapoltba

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 01:41:38 PM »
Dropped off a deposit today and got a receipt.  Apparently he had someone that wanted to come look at the car and a ton of emails.  I guess i was quickest on the draw and managed to get it.  

Sad to say that it is definitely not the Sport version.  Got the VIN and looked it up in addition to checking the mirrors and steering wheel as suggested.  No biggie, I can't wait to get it home to take some pictures.

*edit
It is apparently a Canadian car,  first 4 of the vin are "2CCC"
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 06:17:06 PM by lapoltba »

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 12:27:03 PM »
Congratulations lapoltba.  If the body is in decent shape you got a great buy for $1500.

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 12:53:52 PM »
It is apparently a Canadian car,  first 4 of the vin are "2CCC"
Most Eagles after the 1980 model year were Canadian-built...in Brampton, Ontario. By this time Renault had bought into AMC and the Kenosha plant was re-tooling to produce Renault designs. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline lapoltba

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 09:12:45 PM »
Had a bit of difficulty since one of the back wheels was frozen.  Brake was hung up, but it broke free without too much fuss.  Here are some pictures, i'll post some more of the underside and interior when I get a chance.  It was overcast and there wasn't much light for the camera phone to take a decent pic.

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 50
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 09:15:48 PM »
congrats on finding one nice looking sx4.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline EagleJoe93

• "You'll know it's me when I roll through your town. I'm gonna ride around in style. I'm gonna drive everybody wild, cause I'll have the only one there is around."
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 09:27:46 PM »
Very nice find! Looks like it is in really good shape. Best of luck with it.  :) Is it Auto or Manual?
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited. Work in progress. Most likely have the only one in town. :)

Offline lapoltba

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 09:33:55 PM »
Thanks!  Can't wait to get a battery and change the fluids to see if I can get her started.  It's a I6 4speed.  It looks shift console was put in afterwards and not the factory but I didn't have time to really dig around inside. 

It's in really good shape, and alot of what I thought was surface rust on the underside was not that at all.  It is grey undercoating type stuff that looked and felt like rust in the dark Sunday when I crawled under it. 

There's a few minor things that need attention like the door handle springs, door hinge bushings, front grille (guy gave me a replacement), rear louver hardware, minor surface rust on some parts of the body/trim and the collapsed drivers seat.  No real cancer to speak of though and overall in excellent condition for the age.  The guy was even nice enough to clean the engine compartment for me since it was absolutely covered with dust and crud.

I am very happy with the purchase and look forward to getting it back on the road.

rohnk

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2012, 09:35:55 PM »
Looks just like my first one. Great find. I know you will love the car.

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2012, 10:33:10 PM »
Not a sport and not a DL, looks to be a base model with some options.
Looks to be in good condition... Congrats  :hello2:
Welcome to the Eagle club.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 10:34:46 PM by MudPuppy »
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

rohnk

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2012, 11:33:02 PM »
What is the name on the louvers? I see a tag but can't read it.

Prafeston

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2012, 02:00:55 AM »
Yeah, the center gauge console appears to be black, but the rest of the inside looks blue.

I'm a fan of the ventshades...never have seen them on an SX/4.

Rohn, check out the bigger photo here...you can even zoom in. It appears to me to say Hammond...which I did look up and there is a company called Astra Hammond that makes rear window louvers.

http://i.minus.com/ibgmv7PIGKaCZg.jpg

Offline lapoltba

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2012, 07:36:22 AM »
Indeed it does say Hammond, they are not AMC for sure.  I like the look though, the seem well built but I think one of the fasteners is broken on the lower mount, hopefully I can either fix it or make it work.  Looks like they are still in business, and sell hardware kits.   I may give them a call and see if they have replacements.  Chances are they haven't changed the design on their hardware in a very long time.

I haven't decided what I want to do with the car down the road.  I've never had a jeep or truck with 4wd, not that I do any off-roading.  I sort of wanted to do a 2" lift all around and put the biggest tires I could fit (without cutting anything) on it.   Another part of me (the guy that helped build 3 Formula SAE cars at school) really wants to lower it just a little and put some street tires on it and improve the suspension with an anti-roll bar and better shocks.  I'm a little torn there.  

My daily driver is currently a 2011 Impreza hatchback 5 speed which is a very fun ride and excellent in the snow also.  I think because of that I will probably go tall and mean with the SX4.  Anti-roll is still on the table for that since it will help drive-ability all around.

Going to get a battery, oil and filter today after work and at least see if she turns over.  I've gotta check the gas tank and put some fuel filters on.  Not sure if there's gas in it or not.  

I'm probably going to start a new thread here soon to keep track of what i'm doing and not clog up the new members area.  

Giddy like a school girl for my new toy....  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk