News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 30, 2024, 04:31:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A hello from a prosepctive SX4 owner  (Read 13887 times)

Offline lapoltba

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 14
A hello from a prosepctive SX4 owner
« on: May 17, 2012, 03:06:49 PM »
Well, i've come here for some guidance after looking for my next project/toy.  I've never owned or even driven an AMG but i've always loved them.  My parents had one in the 80s and I've always wanted one of my own.

I'll preface the rest with a bit about myself.  I'm a recent college graduate with a BS in Electrical/mechanical engineering technology.  I'm a somewhat skilled machinist, and currently a manufacturing engineer.  I love to tinker and fix things. I'm always up for a project.  I have a Honda 1982 cb900f Supersport that I bought not running out of storage for 7 years and got it back on the road.  I have since modified it with parts from a 2000 GSXR 600 (wheels, brakes, front forks, swingarm). 

I've been looking for another toy and I stumbled on an SX4 on craigslist.  I got ahold of the guy 20 min after it was posted.   It's a blue 83 SX4 with the 6cyl and a 4sp manual.  It has been sitting for 15 years in the driveway (paved) up on stands and covered very well by a tarp. 

I was skeptical, to say the least, of the condition as described, but the thing is amazingly clean.  There is NO, and i mean NO, rot on the body.   The paint is obviously faded and has one or two spots of surface rust here and there, but nothing that can't be sanded with some 1000 grit paper and touched up.  Since it was up on stands already i got a good look underneath it.   As far as i can see it's sold, a-arms have surface rust, but they are SOLID.  Interior looks great too except for the drivers seat, which is collapsed on the door side. 

The bad:  It doesn't currently run.... I was told it ran 15 years ago when it was parked but couldn't get any more info yet as to why or what exactly it does when the key is turned.  I am hoping to get a better look at it this weekend while the weather is nice and narrow down why it won't turn over before committing to buy it.

My question is:  What are these cars really worth?  I know the practical answer is "whatever someone will pay for them" but the seller is pretty set on the fact that it was the last year for this model and it is collectable.  I by no means want to screw the guy over, but knowing that it doesn't run, i could be getting into a lot of issues.

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
Re: A hello from a prosepctive SX4 owner
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 04:14:00 PM »
Cut and dry $500.

Here's why, plastic cladding can hide a lot, already having surface rust, would make me wonder what's lurking beneath, not to mention has it ever been painted and why. Car has been sitting for 15 years, you can bet on replacing the brake system, including hoses, calipers, master cylinder, wheel cylinders, pads & rotors, shoes and drums may be ok? Was it stored with gas? chances are the tank could be completely varnished and rusted on the inside, sender could be a rust ball as well. Clutch hydro system will likely need attention, maybe need to go as far as replacing the clutch itself. All your vacuum lines will likely need attention, as well as coolant hoses. I'd find out why it was parked in the first place, ie: what was wrong then. Carb will need to be rebuilt end of story, maybe a fuel pump. exhaust probably will need work before too long. Just because it ran then, doesn't mean it will come back to life and run perfect now (doesn't mean it won't either).

My point is not a negative one though, buying a car like this is a gamble, I took it, as others have too. The SX/4 I fixed up for my gf sat dormant for 15 years (parked due to a misdiagnosed clutch issue), everything I listed above is what I had to do to it, among other things I didn't mention (body, paint, cv's, axleshaft, bearings, water pump, valvecover, etc, etc, etc). My gamble paid off, the engine and trans (also 4 speed car) work beautifully now.  Many others have had just as good of luck, but others haven't. Go over it very closely is the main thing, it could be a gem that needs very little.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 04:24:18 PM »
Well said shag. i had no ambition to type that up. even to see if it would run might be impossible without spending for a cap and rotor. fuel pump mighta rotted. however you could gravity feed the carb if its not rusted tight.

Manitowoc WI

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 04:34:56 PM »
Very true mk, wouldn't hurt to bring a battery and a jerry can anlong to look at the car.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline lapoltba

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 04:41:27 PM »
Those are all the nightmares I anticipate.... I am sure the seller won't take any less than the $1500 he had it posted for though after talking to him.

I guess on the positive side, everything but the axles and bearings are basic repair work and parts seem to be readily available.  I did look at the car yesterday but didn't have time or access to do a full inspection.  Sad part is that I don't have a truck/trailer to haul it home with.

I'm not too sure how to bring up the huge cut in price, i may sour the whole deal completely and miss out on a possible gem.   :-\  I'm going to try to arrange an hour or two this weekend to get it uncovered with the owner and take a good look around.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 05:09:59 PM »
1500 ¿ ¿ really ¿ its not an sx4 but if i were to sell my 84 sedan stroker dd 4 speed i would be lucky to get that. it was rebuilt after sitting 5ish years painted blah blah. only has tree rash around it which effectively wiped out my stupid bondo work and dented a spot on the drivers side taillight. just giving an example.

Manitowoc WI

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 05:27:27 PM »
I would buy it sight unseen for 500 just because it likely has a T4 instead of the junk SR4, and an 83 will have the reclining seats that are light years better than the 81 seats. A rusted out chunk of junk is still a decent deal for 500.

If its truly rust free and solid then I would pay 800 to 1200 for it even if everything drivetrain and brakes was junk. If I didn't already own 5 of them and this was the first SX4 I've ever seen, I wouldn't blink an eye at 1500. If it was roadworthy a rust free Eagle is worth about 3K. Some of you guys spoiled from a salt free state wouldn't pay what I do here in PA, but those are fair prices.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 05:43:46 PM »
Should have said 2 small spots of bondo from dents on a previous owner

Manitowoc WI

rohnk

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 09:25:12 PM »
I gave 2500 for mine and it was "rust free" as well. It really is in good shape but has little rust spots all over the body and I recently found a spot that has bondo work that I had to redo.

I'l throw in on other comment on this deal though too. That is the rubber lines that are all over in the engine for vacuum, heater hoses, relays that can stick, rubber fuel lines, etc. All of that could be dry rotted and look ok but be dry and brittle. I found a number of hoses on mine that soon as I touched then, they fexed very little and cracked or broke. You could spent time pulling your hair out trying to fix all those lines.

Or just rip them out! Without pics, my best bet would be $800-$1000 sight unseen. The interior could be in great condition as long as no mice got in. Also, if the interior is all black, they are more rare than others and lots of folks like them a little better.

Just my $.02

Welcome by the way!

Offline lapoltba

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 09:41:26 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.  I'm going over again on Saturday for a couple hours to get a better look.  First visit yesterday was a bit rushed due to the seller having to go to work, and the car not really being uncovered and ready to show off.

The exterior is blue, not sure if it has ever been repainted, i'll try to snap some pictures.  The interior is a matching blue but I didn't get a good look at the condition or any other details.  Not sure about accessories/options either. 

I fully expect to replace every rubber hose under the hood.  My friend got a 96 Saab and i spent weeks chasing down vacuum leaks in that thing.  I'll get a feel for what may need to be done in addition to hoses, brake lines, fluid changes everywhere and may try to offer him $1000.

I'll be back with an update and hopefully a new-to-me SX4 soon.

Offline lapoltba

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 09:48:21 PM »
I'm in Connecticut but originally from upstate NY, near Lake George.  Went to school in Rochester, NY.  Rust is a big deal up here as i'm sure most of you already know, in VT especially.  Most cars rot away long before the drivetrain fails from all the road salt.

Offline lapoltba

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 10:46:48 AM »
Headed over in a little bit to look at the car again.  One last question....

How can i confirm that this is the "sport" version?  I've read all the literature i can find but it is a little vague.  I understand I should look for the following:

Shift console on the inside with accessory gauges.
4X4 wheel inserts
Black rocker panels
Color accented bumper inserts (??)

Assuming the paint is original, i don't remember it having the black rockers, nor the shift console.

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 11:53:21 AM »
IIRC, some things were options such as the shift console, spoiler, rims (some have the 4x4 inserts while others got the alloys) and that's assuming a PO hadn't changed rims in the past.

Also, not all shift consoles (whether in a Sport or not) didn't have accessory gauges. My '81 Sport had the shift console but no gauges.
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline lapoltba

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 12:38:10 PM »
Thanks guys.  The car hasn't been repainted, it's pretty obvious.  The front bumper is not original, it's chrome, not black.  He's got 5 other bumpers for the car, some aluminum.  A replacement front grill in the back seat, the one on the car is cracked.  It has the 4x4 and black stripe on the rockers as well as the wheel inserts.  The tires even hold air and look near new, except for the drivers rear which has a leak.  They will be replaced.

Crawled underneath to look at the clutch slave since that was the reason for it being parked 15 years ago.  Guy said the clutch got stiff and that was the last of it.  I pressed the clutch pedal and it stuck slightly and went to the floor.  I'm counting on having to replace the whole system from master down to slave. 

While under the car I got a better look at everything and i'm even more amazed at how little rust there is on it.  It's dirty, but in excellent shape. 

The interior is near mint.  It has the center console with the accessory gauges.  There's no tachometer on the dash though?  He added one on the steering column though.  Aftermarket Jensen speakers all around with a period style radio (two knobs).  Vinyl dash cover is mint, carpet is mint, seats are vinyl and a bit sticky and gross from age, no biggie.

Bottom line, it's a done deal.  He's got a flatbed and can drop it off at my place about a mile away no problem so I can dig into it and see if i can get it going.

I'll see everyone on here soon with lots of questions i'm sure.

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 12:49:19 PM »
I have several "Sport" Eagles. The only thing consistant with them is that they have a Spoiler, sport mirrors, three spoke steering wheel, and a little metal badge with the word "Sport" right underneath the "Eagle" found on the fender in front of either door. The sport mirrors look more like a tear drop than the normal chrome brick found on a normal Eagle. On Station Wagons they had 1980 style trim around the rear window until 1984.

The gauge console with or without gauges, sun roof, Leather wrapped steering wheel, rear roll-bar, and Marchal fog lights are seperate options commonly found on Sport Eagles, but not always.

All the Sport Eagles I have are either Grey or Red as the primary color and all the traditionally chrome pieces come painted black. The vast majority of Sport SX4s were Red and Black identical to the ones featured in the AMC commercials, easily found and viewed on Youtube.

A Sport SX4 is an object of lust for everyone, by far the most valuable and sought after Eagle. Kammbacks and 2dr Sedans enjoy alot of respect and desire just because of how rare they are, but still not quite as much as an SX4 with a spoiler. If you compare a 4 door sedan and a Sport SX4 of identical condition, I would expect the SX4 to command at least three times as much money. You're doing rather well if you find a solid sport SX4 for $1500.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 12:51:19 PM by captspillane »
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk