News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 20, 2024, 11:20:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Coil spring removal tool  (Read 11534 times)

rohnk

Coil spring removal tool
« on: April 09, 2012, 04:39:39 PM »
I was looking around on the auction site and searched for "AMC coil Spring" and found a guy out of Texas that is making a coil spring removal tool for AMX, Javelin, Gremlin, etc. I emailed him asking if it would work on Eagles. I am tempted to buy one so I can work on the springs myself and not have to pay someone. I'm toying with the idea of putting Javelin springs in to get a little bump up in height and a bit stiffer ride.

I am taking some weight off the front end by removing the air pump and AC components. However I would like to make bumpers like EagleFreek has so that will put the weight back on it.  ;D

rohnk

Re: Coil spring removal tool
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 07:54:38 PM »
The fella emailed back and said that as long as it has a lower spring perch that bolts to the upper control arm and a shock tower, that his tool should work. I think I'll take a picture or two and send him just to be sure.

Prafeston

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 08:05:56 PM »
I saw in another thread that a lot of the coil spring tools don't work on our springs, but considering that the Jav coils fit in the Eagle I would think that tool would work on our cars. You could always be the guinea pig Rohn! :)

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 216
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 10:57:01 PM »
Most auto parts stores will loan you a coil spring compressor.  I haven't done that on my eagle but went that route on my 60s Mustang.  It worked fine as long as you took your time and were careful.  Good luck, and let us know what that fella from Texas says!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

rohnk

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 11:14:29 PM »
I wouldn't mind being the guinea pig but I need to get the money together first to buy the new springs. While I am in there, ball joints and tie rods will be done too. The more I get into it, the more I find wrong with her. Before I can put any real miles on it, all this stuff has to be done. The rear springs are bad too so I need to get a set of those.

I take donations though in case anyone wants to give to the cause!  ;D

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 216
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 11:48:13 PM »
The more I get into it, the more I find wrong with her. Before I can put any real miles on it, all this stuff has to be done.

Sounds like most of us Eagle owners.  Remember (as some wise man once said) its the journey and not the destination.  And my advice, not necessarily as a wise man, is to take it one step at a time and keep it so you can drive it as much as possible.  I've done those projects where one thing leads to another (if i'm replacing this, I might as well do that, and if i'm doing that, i should replace the other thing) and its real easy to lose interest that way.  I always enjoy working on my old cars, but I like driving them better!  Good luck!
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

rohnk

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 11:49:50 PM »
Sure thing Casper. I'm not sure when I'll get started on removing it but when I do it's yours for the price of shipping and whatever you think it is worth to you. Is there something I can do with it before I take it off to test it? I know it isn't charged, but there is no noise from it while the engine is running.

rohnk

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 11:53:22 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Van. My plan is to tackle one item and do the "why not's" that go with it and then drive it a little and see how the project progresses. Right now I want to get all the trim off the exterior to find rusted areas and get all that patched up. Then a light buffing, paint touch-up and decisions on what trim goes back on.

Then some engine work to remove the air pump and possibly AC delete.

All in good time!

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 216
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 11:59:11 PM »
Yep, a little bit at a time is the way to go.  Nothing sadder than somebody tearing their car apart to fix everything, then not having the time or $$ to put it back together.
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

rohnk

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 09:47:04 AM »
Ok Casper. Give me a couple of days to get to it. I have the car on ramps right now so I can clean, inspect the undercarriage and fix a fuel leak. I should have that done by tonight and be ready to bring it back down tomorrow.

Offline amkfken

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 10:35:46 PM »
I asked the same question on the spring compressor from the guy in Texas, he replied NO, I don't think he even knows what an Eagle is or was confused with the Mitsubishi eagles!
I got my compressor from someone back east that was referred to on this forum, a little less $$, I haven't used it yet.
There are three kinds of men;
1.) The ones that learn by reading
2.) The few who learn by observation
3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

'51 Henry J--'58 Jeep FC 170--'63 Comet Conv.--'67 Marlin
'06 Liberty(Mom's)--'96 Grand Cherokee
'83 SX/4 Sport-- 84 Dodge Rampage

Offline mr.mindless

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Rochester NY
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 09:52:04 AM »
I'm wondering the same, Casper.
Michael Maskalans
Codriver, Game Day Racing - Ultra4 #571
'98 Dakota - tons & 42s
'97 Ram 3500 - 13sp RoadRanger

'87 Eagle Wagon 258/auto "Saint Michael" - Daily driver status.
'84 Eagle Wagon 258/auto "Swamp Thing" - project in need of a bath
'84 Eagle Wagon 258/4sp - parts car

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 11:03:26 AM »
I'm wondering the same, Casper.

regular sping compressors work fine. i have no idea why it would not work. i have removed springs on eagles more times than i can remember. either putting in new springs or spring spacers or some off the wall lift idea.

Manitowoc WI

Offline HappyPappy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 06:18:37 AM »
  It's called ROOM. You'll see when you try to use a strut spring compressor. I tried the samething when I had mine, finally made my own out of truck spring u-bolts, the long ones, heavy duty trucks

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Never thought i'd have one but know i always will!
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 08:52:55 AM »
i bought the 50 dollar set from the local parts store. had to cut one down for room on the back side but other then that they work perfect

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk