News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 15, 2024, 07:01:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: new exhaust and intake gastkets  (Read 6743 times)

Offline papacarn

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
new exhaust and intake gastkets
« on: March 06, 2012, 12:45:38 AM »
Well the old SX4 may never run again. Started tearing her down tonight to get ready for new gaskets tomorrow. If I were to get rid of all the hoses and wires that go to that carb and intake the car would be 100 lbs lighter. I wonder what engineer was laughing when he decided to make a half an overhaul to change an exhaust gasket? Even the power steering brackets have more bolts then the one on my 10 yard dump truck. I guess the didn't want it to fall off. I'm letting the exhaust manifold to head pipe bolts soak in liquid wrench overnight. I don't think she's had any exhaust work for quite a few years. Things are a little tight underneath; I may be wishing I had gone with an Eagle wagon before this little project is complete

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
Re: new exhaust and intake gastkets
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 09:58:57 PM »
Good luck with this "simple" project lol
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 12:39:26 AM »
I've been in there a few times. If the exhaust pipe nuts aren't rusted badly I can comfortably do the whole thing in an afternoon. Good luck.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline papacarn

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 01:21:13 AM »
  I'm going to be into it more then one afternoon. I've got the manifolds back in place and tight. The exhaust is hooked up, but I gotta tell you, I couldn't figure out how to torque the bottom row of manifold bolts. I used a 1/4" drive to get them back in, but my torque wrench's are 1/2" and I have an inch scale in 3/8". Neither would fit. Can't get a good reading with a swivel. The ones in the back were a real bugger. I may have even said things I can't post (ha ha). Valve cover is leaking, and cross at front differential needs to be replaced. Tomorrow will be busy if local parts store doesn't have to order. They don't keep many AMC parts in stock.

Prafeston

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 08:43:54 AM »
What is written on the inside of the engine bay on the shock mount thing?

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 09:02:46 AM »
Looks like New Eng & mileage...

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 09:57:31 AM »
Just replace the exhaust manifold on a friends 258 and YES, it's a bugger.  Getting off was simple.  Getting back on was a challenge.  Had to enlarge a few of the mounting holes on the exhaust because it was slightly warped.  After a few hours of fighting, I asked my wife for help and her hands were small enough that she sat on the valve cover and got ALL of the friggin' lower bolts in by hand.  Once they were in it was simple to tighten everything back up.  I felt stupid for working on them so long before asking for help.....
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 01:37:43 PM by GRONK »
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 11:02:30 AM »
Sounds like the beginning of one of those commercials:  Eagle, $400, New Gasket, $35, Time $$$, Having a wife that isn't afraid to break a nail OR get a little grease under one... PRICELESS!!!  :)

Offline papacarn

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 03:30:37 PM »
  The writing on the firewall is indeed the last time the engine got rings, bearings, and valve job. It was done 12-24-94, and had 100,948 miles. I bought the car in 2005, and it only had 118,404. Now has 143,176.
  Napa had my u joint, but had to order the valve cover gasket. No big deal, it will be here in the morning. Should have her back on the road this weekend for sure.
  If the engineers had made provisions to cast indentations in the bottom of the intake where each of those 4 bottom bolts are located, to allow for a socket on a 6" extension to contact the bolt straight, this would be an easy project. Of course if I hadn't dropped one of those bolts, that didn't hit the shop floor, and had to crawl under the car looking for it, I wouldn't have noticed the bad u-joint. Things have a way of working out.

Offline papacarn

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 09:41:43 PM »
  Well, I just thought I would be done this weekend. That is not going to happen. When I replaced the leaking valve cover gasket, I found my real problem. Seems my leaking exhaust gasket was in fact the head gasket right behind it. The front head bolt on the exhaust side is broken. I'm going to use a piece of 3/8 tubing as shin stock to center a 1/4 inch bit while I try to drill out the broken piece deep enough to get a easy out in. If I can get the broken piece out of the block, I will put in a new head bolt and try it. As of now it is not leaking water yet, just making a weird sound under compression. If that doesn't stop the compression leak, I will have to pull the head.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 10:25:26 PM »
My Spirit has the same problem. I cleaned the hole out with brake clean and rag pieces on a drill bit then put the broken bolt back in with "The Right Stuff" on it. Hasn't lost a drop since (3 years ago) I figure I'll fix it when I pull the head to put a 4.0L head on.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 10:31:19 PM »
I just pulled the head off of a 258 that bolt came out with a bunch of rust dust. none of the others were rusted

Manitowoc WI

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 11:43:31 PM »
at least on all the 4.0s I've rebuilt that, was I believe the only bolt that actually went thru into the water jacket, I always put that,one in with sealant(RiteStuff)

Offline papacarn

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 02:59:28 PM »
    Need some advice from you veteran Eagle mechanics. What is the latest version of the 258 that will have the same double decker head bolt as my 81. The parts house in my small town says it's no longer listed for the 81 eagle SX/4, but I know that engine was used long after that. I would rather not go searching in wrecking yards just yet. We still have snow on the ground. Thanks in advance...Papa!

Offline papacarn

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 06:08:40 PM »
  So far, I've been able to determine that the head bolts in my 258 are 7/16 long and short flange on the manifold side, and 7/16 no flange on the passenger side. I have located a complete set on eBay for 15.00. I will probably go that way, even though I only need one short flange bolt. The way my luck has been running, it can't hurt to have a few extras laying around.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk