News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 22, 2024, 11:42:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A904 flexplate cover  (Read 2061 times)

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
A904 flexplate cover
« on: March 04, 2012, 07:54:22 PM »
You know that rusted cover plate that covers the torque converter bolts? It's been a while since I've checked these bolts for anything wrong and I need to know if I have to pull the whole transmission to get to it. I have unbolted the starter and 3 other 9/16 bolts but it's still on there pretty good. Do I have to undo the 5/8" bolts on the far ends of the bell housing? I really need to get this done now and it's a total pain.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 50
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
Re: A904 flexplate cover
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 08:46:55 PM »
if you mean the dust cover that wraps around behind the fly wheel than yes you will have to pull the transmission back about an inch as there are two hollow studs that are used to guide it in to place.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: A904 flexplate cover
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 09:46:27 PM »
I got it with vice grips. I forgot that it's one PART of the cover that comes free and it covers the driver side. I undid the starter wire, two starter bolts, and the other four bolts that somehow secure the cover. The crappy torque converter I reused from the rebuild had a stripped hole and one of the bolts were rattling the bell housing for the past 3 weeks. I'm rid of it now but I need to replace this converter soon. I notice when something gives me trouble on this car and I fix it, that part completely destroys itself less than a month later. I'll watch out for it.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk