News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 26, 2024, 05:35:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brake question  (Read 3126 times)

Offline Pat

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 56
Brake question
« on: February 21, 2012, 02:43:39 PM »
What should I be looking at (whenever I eventually get my Eagle back)? The problem (never tried anything to fix) is the pedal goes way down before stopping. NOT soft, just a lot of travel. Did check fluid & was a LITTLE low in one side. Always stopped okay, again, just a lot of travel. Never puled a wheel to check lining or anything beyond topping off the master cylinder. This is one of those things for "in the future sometime" as I still don't have my Eagle back yet. Just wondering what to check first? No VISIBLE leaks & fluid was staying up after topping off.
1995 Jeep Cherokee "Bleep"

No pic here - BlackBird - My '86 AMC Eagle wagon

R.I.P Old Rusty - My '91 F150

Offline mr.mindless

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Rochester NY
Re: Brake question
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 02:59:27 PM »
Does it get higher if you pump the pedal? If so, adjust your drums, they're probably loose, or in need of shoes.  If your rotors are warped and/or slide pins are unhappy the front calipers could be backing off too far, too.
Michael Maskalans
Codriver, Game Day Racing - Ultra4 #571
'98 Dakota - tons & 42s
'97 Ram 3500 - 13sp RoadRanger

'87 Eagle Wagon 258/auto "Saint Michael" - Daily driver status.
'84 Eagle Wagon 258/auto "Swamp Thing" - project in need of a bath
'84 Eagle Wagon 258/4sp - parts car

Offline Pat

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 56
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 03:37:00 PM »
Thanks Mr. Mindless. Pumping didn't seem to help (according to my memory. Over 1½ years ago, going from memory here now.).

Offline hypereagle

• SX4! A car that's in a league of it's own.
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 06:30:19 PM »
What should I be looking at (whenever I eventually get my Eagle back)? The problem (never tried anything to fix) is the pedal goes way down before stopping. NOT soft, just a lot of travel. Did check fluid & was a LITTLE low in one side. Always stopped okay, again, just a lot of travel. Never puled a wheel to check lining or anything beyond topping off the master cylinder. This is one of those things for "in the future sometime" as I still don't have my Eagle back yet. Just wondering what to check first? No VISIBLE leaks & fluid was staying up after topping off.

Rear brake adjusters are seized and or adjuster cable either stretched or broke.
73 AMX/Javelin, 79 Spirit, 81 SX4, 87 Comanche, 02 Grand Cherokee Ltd, 86 2dr Cherokee, 70 AMX 390 4 Spd.

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 12:17:10 PM »
Yup, make sure that the rear brakes are clean and adjusted, the front calipers are sliding freely, and none of the flexible hoses are swollen.

I had a Jeep with a brake adjuster that had frozen completely retracted, it had a noticeable drive train windup on easy stops because the rear brakes didn't got enough fluid to extend. It's probably not so noticeable in AWD mode on an Eagle. A nice cheap fix, though.

Bad discs have given me a lot more travel in the past, check that they're wearing the whole width of the pads.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline Pat

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 56
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 06:55:16 PM »
Thanks for the advice everybody. Will TRY (with my memory or actually, lack of that may be difficult) to remember these whenever I get it back.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk