News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 26, 2024, 03:05:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Anyone ever had a bad harmonic balancer?  (Read 4155 times)

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
Anyone ever had a bad harmonic balancer?
« on: January 08, 2012, 12:31:57 AM »
Ive been in the process of tracking down a vibration in my sx4. Someone suggested it could be the harmonic balancer, Has anyone ever had one go bad on their Eagle...or any car for that matter? I am just curious what the syptoms were.

Thanks
Shane
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
Re: Anyone ever had a bad harmonic balancer?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 08:49:36 AM »
Yes they do go bad, regardless of brand/make of the engine.  The rubber part between the two steel parts gets weak or is damaged during an improper R & R session.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 12:28:20 PM »
On a 351w it spun apart and shook lik h e l l.

Manitowoc WI

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 01:32:38 PM »
Yes, I've had one go bad on my 4.o in the MJ. It didn't vibrate much, but it would squeak. The rubber had failed between the hub and the pulley part, and the two could move a bit independently, caused the serpentine belt to be out of alignment with the rest of the system, so it would chirp. New balacer solved the problem.

Also replaced the balancer on my FSJ's 360, and it smoothed it out a bit. The rubber was swelled due to engine oil leaking on it. Replaced crankshaft seal at same time with balancer on both the FSJ and the MJ. No more leaks at the front of the engine.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 06:36:50 PM »
My dad's Olds V8 had it actually wear the keyway so it was shaking like crazy. We pulled it off and threw a new one on. Vibration stopped, and it ran a lot better.
It was the original one though, so I can't say too much about it.. hah.

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 09:51:05 PM »
would the harmonic balancer cause a vibration when the car is reved in neutral too, or does the engine need to be under load to get the full effects?
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 10:14:26 PM »
Any time the motor was revved, but worse in gear. Every AMC I've had with auto trans (9xx series) that vibrated suddenly or progressively worse that wasn't the harmonic balancer, it turned out to be the neck of the torque converter starting to crack or the lockup clutch inside falling apart and throwing the balance off. Especially if the motor had even compression (one pushrod bent would make a vibe too)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk