News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 03, 2024, 06:25:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Clutch chatter?  (Read 2101 times)

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
Clutch chatter?
« on: December 31, 2011, 09:47:30 PM »
Hey guys, when I accelerate from a dead stop the car shutters as I let out the clutch..especially if i give it alot of gas. If i lightly let out the clutch and dont give it much fuel until the clutch is engaged it doesnt really do it. Would this be clutch chatter due to a glazed or oily clutch plate or is it somthing else? anyone ever experience this
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
Re: Clutch chatter?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 09:52:52 PM »
It could be something contaminating the clutch disk surface.  I have also seen a worn out pressure plate or a broken clutch disk dampening spring. 
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 10:51:58 PM »
If the clutch is old, the brass rivets are probably starting to show through and they grab, causing shudder on takeoff till the heads let go and then the car doesn't.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 11:10:22 PM »
Does the valve cover leak in the back?  (or more ominous, the rear main).  Could be oil contamination.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 12:00:57 AM »
 It's still got the got the stock valve cover so she does leak down the back. I hope its not a rear main but it wouldnt be the first time I had to deal with one of those. It doesn't have much oil under the car only around the valve covers. I drove it several times today and some times it did it other times it was just fine. These transmissions are pretty small I may break it apart one of these days and take a look.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk