News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 17, 2024, 01:43:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Clutch Installation  (Read 2863 times)

Offline mccoy4131

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
New Clutch Installation
« on: December 09, 2011, 10:52:19 AM »

VIN 1ACCN5300DK106724
1983 AMC EAGLE 50 S/X4
4.2L 258 2BBL
2D Hatchback

Hello everyone, I am finally going to start the process of replacing my entire clutch system to eliminate all old parts and start out fresh and new to last the duration. Currently, with the engine running, there is no movement period; you can shift through the gears with the clutch in or out with no effect either way--no grind no catching no nothing.
When I look up the parts kit (at the link below) I find 2 kits available with different sizes: 

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?Ne=25000&Ntt=&Nty=1&N=599001+101983+50002+2002008+28109&Ntk=Keyword

1.Without complete disassembly, is there a way to find out which size applies to my car using the VIN maybe or another source?
2. Is there any particular do's and don'ts I need to be aware of?

I am mechanically inclined and have worked on cars but not my full time gig or forte in life so any and all information for this endeavor from start to finish would be greatly appreciated.

Rex

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
Re: New Clutch Installation
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 11:34:21 AM »
Part Number: NCF 1101007
Product Line: NAPA Clutch and Flywheel

comes up for the 4.2L

The other one, I assume is for the 4 cylinder.

Offline mccoy4131

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 12:05:39 PM »
Thanks tons Sunny. That gets me started with the right parts then.

Rex

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 03:03:40 PM »
Couple things, when I did the one in the 81 sx4, I was able to leave the car on the ground. I removed trans and transfer case as one unit, bit of juggling, yes, but if you have a tranny jack it makes life easier (I don't, but using a number of idealy located jacks made it go smooth). Remove the shifter before trying to drop the tranny out, I had a brain :censored:, and risked breaking the shifted because I failed to do so, lol. Idealy you shold support the rear of the engine so it doesn't put extra stress on the cv's (I didn't  :-[ , but had no ill effects from neglecting to do so, just figured I'd throw that out there). It's pretty straight forward and actually an easy job.

*Edit*
One more thing, the speedo cable, unless they changed to a thread on cable, you remove the adapter and cable as one. Remove the retaining bolt and clamp, take note of clocking, rotate back and forth slightly, and pull straight out.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 03:14:45 PM by shaggimo »
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline mccoy4131

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 08:29:17 AM »
Awesome Shaggimo, these are all great insights and will help tremendously.
I have another question involving towing the car: I have read and heard that towing the car is strictly taboo and should never be done, however, I am at a loss for a trailer and may have to tow it...towing distance will only be about 1 mile on our dirt/gravel road at most likely less than 10-15 miles per hour... What are the detrimental affects of towing that I need to be aware of If I can not get a trailer?

Rex

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 12:01:33 PM »
Are you taiking flat tow? or dolly, If you're really concerned, just remove the drive shafts from the axles and tie them up out of harms way (disconnect only the rear if using a dolly), you will have no worries then.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline mccoy4131

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 03:38:23 PM »
Sorry for the confusion I was talking more along the lines of just a tow strap rolling it over to the garage about one mile... Any harm there?

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 09:48:04 PM »
Nah, that won't hurt anything.  The concern with towing is having the front and rear wheels moving at different speeds.

However, I don't think it's as big of a deal as some people make it, as long as the TC is in 2wd.  Before knowing that it was supposedly bad to tow them, I towed my parts car back on a dolly, pulling the car on the front wheels.  2 hour drive, and I stopped a few times to check if anything was dragging or getting hot, nothing.  That transfer case still works perfect.
87 Eagle Woody Wagon "Virginia" 4.2 Auto 174k

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 10:24:47 PM »
The problem with towing is chancing a lockup of the transfer case. Neutral makes no differance. I locked up a 242 case that was in neutral years back by towing on a dolly. it locked up tight enough to cause the jeep to be dragged. I since learned better. Otherwise a few miles doesn't hurt

Manitowoc WI

Offline mccoy4131

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 09:03:16 AM »
Thanks tons everyone for your responses. I feel confident that a short and very slow tow for one mile will be OK and since it is mostly hills up and down for that mile I will be going especially slow.
I will re-post an update after I get the clutch replaced and let you know how it went and if it works finally. Hopefully no snags along the way.

Rex

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk