News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 17, 2024, 12:27:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: transmission help  (Read 3179 times)

Offline pigonawing

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
transmission help
« on: October 17, 2011, 02:33:34 PM »
I have pulled my transmission to replace the front seal but while i have it out i wondered if there is a gasket behind the plate the front seal goes in im afraid to take it out cause i do not know what will pop out at me i do not want to re install the tranny just to find another leak i can't fix with out pulling it all again any ideas

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
Re: transmission help
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 02:55:18 PM »
That  would be your front pump. Not sure about the tf's but I know the gm's require removal of the valve body prior to the pump. It would be a can of worms if you aren't ready to do that job, and could cause more harm than good, I'd recommend leaving it alone, for now anyways.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline pigonawing

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 03:00:36 PM »
how common would it be for that to leak just making sure there is no other leaks the front seal looked ugly

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 03:05:29 PM »
Thats not common to leak at all. I would concern myself with what is wrong with the seal. And what broke it.

Manitowoc WI

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 03:19:24 PM »
aren't these known for torque converter issues? I would take a close look at the converter for any signs of cracking or other carnage.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 03:26:01 PM »
The lock up convertors more so than non lockup.

Manitowoc WI

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 03:30:21 PM »
There is an O-ring in there, but you have to tear down the transmission and use the front band to retain the front clutch so it doesn't pop out, according to the TSM. There's a special note about it.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline pigonawing

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 09:07:26 PM »
the tranny was a used 1 i bought it sat for many many years in a shop and in a shed i installed it and did not change it the fist time so i gotta pull it all over again to change a 3 $ seal when we removed it the torque converter looks like brand new i think its just a dried up seal the rubber just fell apart when we were attempting to remove it still have to get a slide hammer to try and get it out. my first attempt was a fail.

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 10:54:16 PM »
Slide hammer for the win. When I overhauled mine I had a flathead screwdriver to gently guide the bottom of the front plate outward but on the front I used a bolt that threaded into a specific section and got the cover off with the slider hammer. Definitely easy. Oh and if you're going to take out the valve body, please check it for wear. It's one thing to overlook seals but if you have a bad pressure tube like I did, well...It's not going to be fun tearing the transmission back out.

I'm going to be rebuilding my spare Torqueflite pretty soon. I need more to do. :/
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 03:27:49 AM »
I have a seal tool that looks like a pick hammer with a curved head. Perfect to trans front seals. Careful not to gouge the front bushing and inspect the converter neck for groove or discoloration. First step before they snap!
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk