News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 17, 2024, 12:49:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: torque converter  (Read 4336 times)

Offline sammuel

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
torque converter
« on: October 12, 2011, 01:12:55 PM »
Does anyone know a good place to get a torque coverter for my 82 eagle? I cant find any on ebay or rockauto, Napa says they can get one in but it takes like a week and im not positive its gonna be the right one they dont seem to really know what they are talking about.
1982 Eagle wagon i6 the "almost drives" bad tranny
1982 Eagle wagon i6 no tranny/title parts car
1994 chevy 6.5 diesel 3/4ton
1981 Yamaha Maxim XJ550

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: torque converter
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 03:18:01 PM »
If they get you one for an '87 YJ with 4.2L, it should be correct. If you were close to Seattle, I would say get one from Sea Tac Transmission parts warehouse 253-839-4967
Their's are firebrazed necks and not just soldered in like some.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 03:25:04 PM »
If they get you one for an '87 YJ with 4.2L, it should be correct. If you were close to Seattle, I would say get one from Sea Tac Transmission parts warehouse 253-839-4967
Their's are firebrazed necks and not just soldered in like some.

An 87would be wrong per his signature. Looks like he has an 82. Differance is lockup versus non lockup

Manitowoc WI

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 03:35:59 PM »
Actually some came with or without lockup. I neglected to mention that
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline sammuel

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 03:12:15 PM »
k so got a torque converter, wondering do I need to fill it with trans. fluid before reinstalling it?
1982 Eagle wagon i6 the "almost drives" bad tranny
1982 Eagle wagon i6 no tranny/title parts car
1994 chevy 6.5 diesel 3/4ton
1981 Yamaha Maxim XJ550

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 03:22:07 PM »
I can say I never did with new or used. C6's have a drain plug (to clarify used).

Manitowoc WI

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 04:11:10 PM »
You don't need to, but you should put a little on the neck to lubricate the seals and put some in the torque converter to help on start.

You shouldn't add a lot, you don't want it all over the place. Torqueflite transmissions all drained back from the torque converter to the pan anyway so they don't need to be full on a cold start. That's one reason why Mopar guys will tell you to shift to neutral and let it run a moment on cold days to fill the torque converter before you start off.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 04:17:27 PM »
Only bad somthing or other drain back. I had a bad one that would drain back in a few days and would leak out the transfer case joint.

Manitowoc WI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk