News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 11:30:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Looking for enging swap donor advice  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Inraged

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
Looking for enging swap donor advice
« on: September 16, 2011, 03:27:33 PM »
I'm looking to do an engine/driveline swap into an Sx/4. I was wondering what the best options are in terms of the ideal donor car. What is the perfect year for a 4.0L Hight Output with a 5-speed for the swap?

Also this might be a kind of off the wall question, but is there any way I could take the engine from a 1969 Boss mustang 302 and mount it to something else for a tranny/transfer case. I'd love to eventually have this thing sitting on locked dana 40s. Is this even a possible option?? I know the eagles are basically a jeep!

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
Re: Looking for enging swap donor advice
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 03:48:10 PM »

Also this might be a kind of off the wall question, but is there any way I could take the engine from a 1969 Boss mustang 302

An original Boss 302 engine is worth several times what a good shape Eagle is. It would be a complete waste.

Unless you are just referring to a normal 302 motor.
Also, that would be a terrible fit, as the Boss 302 motor's suffered from the same problem as the early Z/28 302's. They were built for the SCCA Trans-Am series. They suffered greatly in low end power, but once you wound them up, they made a lot of power. They had massive valves, and you could easily rev them to 8.5K [and higher on the race prepped motors] when most of the other V8's redlined at 5-5.5K.

With an eagle you want the exact opposite, you want something you don't have to rev like crazy to get it moving. Built something with low end torque, especially if you want to offroad with it.

Offline Inraged

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
Re: Looking for enging swap donor advice
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 12:07:00 AM »
Right on, I didn't know if that might still be fun. I have like 500 bucks for this project, and already had the 302 engine, so I'd be able to pick up a tranny/transfer case, even though that would definitely be ridiculous... That eagle WOULD shread. Otherwise I'm on craigslist every day looking for 4.0HO with a 5 speed with a good/new clutch and fair mileage, just maybe rotted out. (Maine) Still exploring any and all, even ridiculous, engine/driveline swaps. Then again why not swap frame too at that point. Are there any good frames Eagles can mount onto with little modification?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk