News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 03, 2024, 08:39:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dos attack??  (Read 4559 times)

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
Dos attack??
« on: August 29, 2011, 06:53:51 PM »
Does anyone have any idea what this means?
-------------------------------------------------------------
"Sorry Guest, you are banned from using this forum!
DOS Attack!"
-------------------------------------------------------------
I signed off from the nest the other day and received an error message when I tried to get back on.
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline autumnglen

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 22
Re: Dos attack??
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 07:12:10 PM »
I have been getting that message about once a month this summer. I email IowaEagle and it takes about 24 hours to get back on. Don't know why.

Rita

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 09:10:32 PM »
I believe it is a result of visiting the site too many times within a certain time period.  DOS stands for denial of service, which refers to an attack of spamming a site with too many requests.  From my experience, it appears that the ban is only a temporary 24 hour ban.  It is also based on your IP, not account, so getting banned while visiting from your work computer will not affect your ability to access the site from your home computer.

Offline autumnglen

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 09:28:15 PM »
does it do it because I stay logged in all the time?

Rita

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 11:47:03 PM »
I was wondering if I was alone on this, thanks for clearing that up for me.
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 11:51:25 PM »
It is most likely cause of the large amount of spamer trying to get in the forum, there some days we have to reject about 70 spamer.
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline Gil-SX4

• Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 11:53:33 PM »
It all so hapens when the server is overwhelm by internet traffic.
Wants You.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 12:02:50 AM »
I got that same message from my work computer back in June or July.  I could access the site just fine from home during that time.  Next day, everything was back to normal again.
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 01:10:15 AM »
I get it all the time.. it's kind of annoying.. lol

Offline Gil-SX4

• Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 02:00:47 AM »
OK. From what I've being able to figure its a integrated security system to stop what the system calls a Rapid Responder or F5 attack. I think it doesn't let a spamer post the same masage by just pressing F5 and repting it as many times as he wants. So the problem we are most like getting is in the server system.
If you do get the massage it takes 24 hr to automatic clear you again. Sorry.
Wants You.

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 10:19:47 AM »
Just gpt the dos attack message. From my normal ip. This one works fine.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 01:32:51 PM »
Note the request/attempt counts that page provides...
Count of 8 to 13 on the times I've been labelled a DOS attempt.
Refresh the page and the count changes.
As I'm asking for a single refresh, something else is going on.

This seems to be connected with slower response from the server, which may have your browser (or any link in the internet chain from you to the Nest server) reask for the page. Although I've been labelled a DOS attempt even when there appears to be fast server response. Add in browser pre-fetch and I suspect that the server's threshold for a DOS is a little too demanding, resulting in false positives detection of DOS.

Only happens when I'm trying to log in, with or without having already successfully viewed the forum as a guest.
Clears up on it's own, good to go the next day.

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 01:56:01 AM »
I thought I had said or done somthing wrong the first time I saw that last month....I was racking my brain all day after that trying to think of anything I may have said that would have gotten me banned.....Now if I had gotten this message 4 years ago before I gave up the bottle, there would have been a very good chance i may have stuck my foot in my mouth during a drunken rant  :occasion14:  :cussing:  :drunk: .....I sure am glad to hear that its just a technicality. I figured it wasnt cuz of my own doing when it happened again last night....thanks for clearing that up.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 02:05:12 AM »
DOS attack? Really? There are just over 30K posts here and we somehow have more members than topics. I'd say this site is pretty much off the radar even considering how rare an AMC Eagle is to see let alone talk about these days. Or is it the same hammering scheme that I suffer every morning with my FTP?

Solution: Ban China.

:3
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???