News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 11:27:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Like Lays potato chip, one is never enough..... #2 Eagle in SC  (Read 5123 times)

Offline craigp29690

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
Yeah I just couldn't resist, price was right and I caved.  So now I have a second Eagle, equally ugly as the first but instaed of Army olive drab, this one was spray bombed Darth Vader black.  It's a 1987, pretty rough in some areas.

1957 Nash Rambler
1964 Rambler Classic 770 2dr
1965 Rambler Classic Wagon              NON-AMC
1966 Rambler Classic Wagon              1981 MAZDA 626 (RWD)
1972 AMC Ambassador Wagon           1991 MAZDA MX5
1981 AMC Concord Wagon                1978 Dodge Magnum XE
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd        
1987 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd           Yes I have a few toys..........

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
Re: Like Lays potato chip, one is never enough..... #2 Eagle in SC
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 11:13:51 PM »
gratz on the new wagon.  Watch out if you place them side by side more just keep appearing ;D
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Smitch

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 11:22:59 PM »
I like it! Eagles seem to look good painted black.
I'm thinking quite strongly about painting my sedan olive drab. Do you have any pics you could share of yours?

Offline craigp29690

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 08:57:01 AM »
Smitch:  If you do a search here and look under my log-in, look for Operation War Eagle, there's a pic or two.  I haven't updated any pics of the project in quite a while.  Been working on mechanical stuff so cosmetics have taken a back seat.   The OD paint scheme is definately different.
1957 Nash Rambler
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd        

Offline craigp29690

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 09:06:51 AM »
A few more pics of Vader......  Yes I took off those horrible hub caps, what was the guy thinking?  There is something broke in the steering column, it just kind of hangs there, probably the u-joint where it tilts.  The driver's outside door handle doesn't work.  It doesn't need a key to start it, just turn the assembly without without the key, works just the same.  I actually did get it to start, has a Weber carb on it with a homemade air filter box, yes it's redneck for sure, several orphaned vacuum hoses, had to plug two that were sucking air.   Hood is bent at the hinges, seems like a common problem with this design.  Makes a horrible grinding sound when cranking it to start, not sure what's going on there yet.  I did drive it around the yard a few times, appears that 4wd is working so a plus there.  It has 163K miles on the odometer and it looks like it.  But the big plus is that it is rust free.

1957 Nash Rambler
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd        

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 02:01:03 AM »
Us Eagle guys are opportunistic buyers. While we may not be in the market for another Eagle if ones discovered at a good price we never miss a chance to add to our fleet.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 02:17:48 AM »
There is something broke in the steering column, it just kind of hangs there, probably the u-joint where it tilts.

If its loose and can wobble around without pulling the tilt lever, it's a common problem with the GM tilt columns. Mine does it too. The reason is because there are 3 or 4 screws inside that over time come loose because they never applied locktight to the screws. All you should have to do is tighten them and put some locktight on them. However, the job looks kind of hard (to me), so I have not done it.

And Congrats on the new Eagle.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 50
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 02:25:45 AM »
my racecar has the same kind of column in it and was doing the samething and yes ammachine390 there are four screws and they are a pain in the :censored: to get to to unless you take the column completely apart. oh and they are torq screws. ::)
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 10:51:27 AM »
Yeah I just couldn't resist, price was right and I caved. 

That has happened to me many times.  I have had over a dozen Eagles in my life (6 at one time), and could not resist getting them because the price was right.   I don't see them much around here any more (So. Cal.), except in wrecking yards   >:( .
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline craigp29690

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 03:55:34 PM »
One thing that is always frustrating is a car with a glove box that won't open.  I keep thinking about what might be inside.   So Vader's glove box was locked and the whole key assembly part broken.  Someone had tried to take it apart to gain access but was unsuccessful.  So as a challenge I started working on it.  The thoughts of some unknown treasure within was driving me.  A few minutes later and it was open.   Inside was one of those dealership envelopes that they used to provide with the owner's manual.  This one was stuffed with all kinds of paperwork from the original window sticker to the paperwork for several owners when they bought the car, had it inspected, and even financed.  WOW!  This was basically the ownership history of this car.  WAY COOL!  Now I feel guilty about not originally intending on restoring it since I've got this much background on it.    It was interesting that in a couple of sales during the 90's the paperwork listed the manufacturer as JEEP not AMC.
1957 Nash Rambler
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd        

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk