News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 15, 2024, 06:26:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Replace pistons or keep old ones.  (Read 5226 times)

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
Replace pistons or keep old ones.
« on: June 28, 2011, 02:12:35 AM »
The 258 block I am working on has about 88,000 miles. I am pondering if i want to keep the old pistons or get new. They look fine and have no sign of cracks or warping...the wrist pins feel very good.....but hey...they still got 88,000 miles more than a set of new ones. I plan on keeping this car for a very long time. Im on a budget but I dont want to cut any corners and have to do this again a few years down the road.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Smitch

Re: Replace pistons or keep old ones.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 04:21:15 AM »
I dont want to cut any corners and have to do this again a few years down the road.

You may hace answered your own question!!

rohnk

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 11:45:12 AM »
If you can spare a little money, I'd go ahead and change them out or put a stroker kit in. Since your down that far anyway, you might as well.

But I'm pretty good at spending other people's money!  >:D  Good luck!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 01:46:17 PM »
If taken care of 88k miles is nothing for a AMC 6. You may not even need to do anything but change the timing gear, oil pump, water pump and gaskets. In my experience, engines from the factory that haven't been opened up and treated well, will typically last way longer than a rebuilt engine. I choose not to rebuild an engine unless absolutely necessary.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 01:54:23 PM »
I've seen people reuse pistons without a problem, but if I was going to tear it all apart anyways, I'd at least bore it out, and put larger pistons/rings in it.

Eaglefreek is right though. 88K isin't very much if it was well taken care of.

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 10:51:36 PM »
It wasnt overly well taken care of...The oil looked like black pudding....the head gasket was shot. I already had the block down to the machine shop It was hot tanked honed and balanced.... Looking at the pistons they look all right but i am sure going to be p***ed off If I get it all back together and in the car and just to have piston problems 6 months down the road.....I think your right about replacing them. If ever there was a time to do it its now.....with the engine down to the block...not such an easy fix once its back in the car....

Thanks for that little nudge to get me going in the right direction.

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 12:00:23 AM »
I would think that you would be alright with the old pistons if you cleaned them up and installed new rings.  Pistons themselves don't tend to have many issues in street motors compared to the other components in the engine.  Of course new pistons would be a nice insurance measure.

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 12:29:04 AM »
Anyone know what the going price for new pistons are...and where is a good place to get them? They will be stock size. The only thing done to the cylinder sleeve was a good honeing. The machine shop said stock rings and pistons will fit just fine.....Thanks ;D

I may keep the stock ones depending on the cost of the things.

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 10:55:27 AM »
You can get complete rebuild kits with rings, pistons, all the gaskets, bearings, and timing set anywhere from $260-$370 depending who you buy from.

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 11:07:31 PM »
Thats not too bad...Ill have to look around...thats a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 04:51:12 PM »
summit has them listed from 28 bucks to 208 bucks for the pistons
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 01:41:52 AM »
Ive found several sets on evil-bay but im always somewhat leary about buying from a stranger across the country...It can go either way...I have been took for a ride before and got stuck with somthing that was completly different than what I needed. Ill have to check out summit.

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 04:40:26 AM »
What you can do is is have the pistons and bores measured and when they are well within limit, and only install new rings.
A good indicator is that when you can still see the crosshatch in the cylinder walls.
Another good indicator is lowering the piston in the bore (w/o rings) and support it from the bottom. When you can tip it over from left to right then it is worn too (you can hear this tipping over when the engine is cold: piston slap). It should a tight fit.
Before installing the pistons with the new rings, I use waterproof sandpaper (grid 240) to fresh up the crosshatch; this will make sure that the new rings are properly bedded in.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk