News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 11:33:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Operation War Wagon  (Read 17227 times)

Offline craigp29690

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
Operation War Wagon
« on: February 07, 2011, 04:43:07 PM »
Yesterday, the first decent day in a while allowed me to get out and start digging into the recent acquisition. 
1984 Eagle Limited.   

First some new tires and rims are needed since the current tires are studded snow tires,
great for the weather we've had but not for current and upcoming seasons..   

Then they are going on these rims ->

Got to take apart the rear interior area for first off, speaker replacement and then to recolor the plastic parts that have faded.  Once it warms up we'll work on some paint touch-up and themed additions. 

I'm currently looking for the rear bumper caps and the side skirts, don't care what color.

I'll work on getting some better pics of the car and figuring out how to make the layout more presentable.
1957 Nash Rambler
1964 Rambler Classic 770 2dr
1965 Rambler Classic Wagon              NON-AMC
1966 Rambler Classic Wagon              1981 MAZDA 626 (RWD)
1972 AMC Ambassador Wagon           1991 MAZDA MX5
1981 AMC Concord Wagon                1978 Dodge Magnum XE
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd        
1987 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd           Yes I have a few toys..........

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Operation War Wagon
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 05:57:23 PM »
Congrats. Is that the one that was for sale recently where the guys wife wanted it out of the driveway?
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline craigp29690

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 08:06:46 PM »
Yes, that's the one.
1957 Nash Rambler
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd        

Offline phantomlvii

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 04:40:31 PM »
If Mad Max had an eagle...it would be this one.
If everything seems to be in control, you're not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 180
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 05:40:55 PM »
If Mad Max had an eagle...it would be this one.

That is kind of what I was thinking,
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline craigp29690

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 02:46:51 PM »
Got the new tires mounted on the new rims.  Mounted on the car and the fronts hit the fenders when you turn to about 3/4 towards full lock.  So I will not cut the as was suggested and really can't since at the rear of the front fender I would be getting into structural parts of that area.   So the quest now is to find a similar rim with less offset to bring the wheel back into the wheel well closer to the way the OEM rims do and allow the tires to clear lock to lock.   The new skins are 215/75/15's same as the snow tires that were on it which were mounted on stock rims.

A small setback that hopefully will be resloved this week. 

I've been taking the interior apart to repaint it since much of the plastic is faded.  Need to change out some bulbs that have died.  Also trying to figure out the spider's nest of wires left behind by a previous owner who rewired the headlights.  Plus there seems to be as much wire behind the dash than what's probably in the Space Shuttle.  I'm working on cleaning that up as well.   Was working on trying to remove the instrment cluster so I can get a look at the headlight switch.  But time faded before completion.  Plus it was being kind of stubborn.

I realized while moving it around the yard Saturday that the sunvisors are missing.  For whatever reason I hadn't noticed that before.  So another item on my shopping list. 

As weather has permitted I've made some progress. 
1957 Nash Rambler
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd        

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 12:02:39 AM »
Get some Jeep Cherokee rims, they're 15" and have a very similar offset to the Eagle wheels, though if you get the Country (wirespoke alloy) or the pizza wheels, make sure you have the shop mount TAPE WEIGHTS on the inside of the barrel, instead of clip weights or they will rub the ball joint knuckle.
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 12:18:45 AM »
Get some Jeep Cherokee rims, they're 15" and have a very similar offset to the Eagle wheels, though if you get the Country (wirespoke alloy) or the pizza wheels, make sure you have the shop mount TAPE WEIGHTS on the inside of the barrel, instead of clip weights or they will rub the ball joint knuckle.

My 94 kee rims are different offset and the clipon weights don't rub

Manitowoc WI

Offline craigp29690

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 09:47:58 AM »
I've found thre are several different types of Cherokee rims so you'd have to be specific of type and year. 

The Unique rims work great in the back, perfect offset, no issues.  The backspacing was not correct for the front.  Looking at either Aero or Bassett for an alternate.

I've never run what everybody else has in any car project, so I'll keep looking until I find what I want and need.

Got the front grille and headlight assemblies all removed last night so I can clean and paint back in there.  I noticed that the headlight buckets are shaped for round headlights.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
1957 Nash Rambler
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd        

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 11:24:04 AM »
Yes, the metal behind them was for the former round two headlight system found on Hornets and Gremlins.  Waste not, want not, kept AMC out of the poor house for a while.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline craigp29690

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 12:04:38 PM »
I don't remember the Hornets or Gremlins having quad headlight arrangements.  As I recall they were the single bulb arangement.  My 72 Ambassador on the other hand has the quad round headlight arrangement.
1957 Nash Rambler
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd        

Offline hminus

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 12:47:21 PM »

I have been taking the interior apart to repaint it since much of the plastic is faded.  Need to change out some bulbs that have died.  Also trying to figure out the spider's nest of wires left behind by a previous owner who rewired the headlights.  Plus there seems to be as much wire behind the dash than what's probably in the Space Shuttle.  I'm working on cleaning that up as well.   Was working on trying to remove the instrment cluster so I can get a look at the headlight switch.  But time faded before completion.  Plus it was being kind of stubborn.

Craig... This is larry.. I had the Eagle before you.. I do miss the beast very much... I was trying to find your email addy, but could not.. I have the Original Owners manual for the car and wish to send it to you.. can you email me your address? I will send it to you USPS... Regarding the electrical issues with the car, remember that was the dude that had it before me.... I was trying to figure it out before I sold it to you...... I am re-thinking my decision to sell.... perhaps a divorce was a better route to take...LOL!

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 02:28:14 PM »
You are right only two headlights on Gremlins and Hornets.  And that is what you will find behind the plastic buckets, one on each side.

Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline craigp29690

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 05:32:24 PM »

I have been taking the interior apart to repaint it since much of the plastic is faded.  Need to change out some bulbs that have died.  Also trying to figure out the spider's nest of wires left behind by a previous owner who rewired the headlights.  Plus there seems to be as much wire behind the dash than what's probably in the Space Shuttle.  I'm working on cleaning that up as well.   Was working on trying to remove the instrment cluster so I can get a look at the headlight switch.  But time faded before completion.  Plus it was being kind of stubborn.

Craig... This is larry.. I had the Eagle before you.. I do miss the beast very much... I was trying to find your email addy, but could not.. I have the Original Owners manual for the car and wish to send it to you.. can you email me your address? I will send it to you USPS... Regarding the electrical issues with the car, remember that was the dude that had it before me.... I was trying to figure it out before I sold it to you...... I am re-thinking my decision to sell.... perhaps a divorce was a better route to take...LOL!
Sent you an e-mail Larry. 
1957 Nash Rambler
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd        

Offline craigp29690

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 09:25:38 PM »
Well have had a few weekends to work on the Eagle.  Complete cooling system overhaul is complete.  New belts, new hoses.  New hoses to the tranny cooler.  Need to replace the rubber fuel line from the hard line to the fuel pump, it's like jelly, throbs like a vein from some space alien when the car is running.  So the rims got returned, mounted the new Generals on the stock rims.  But the center portion was bugging me...   

So here's the solution.
1957 Nash Rambler
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd        

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk