News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 21, 2024, 02:00:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: project desert Eagle  (Read 44887 times)

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
Re: project desert Eagle
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2010, 10:06:48 PM »
well I do have some bad news about my wagon, it appears that it may have a bad front main seal as from where its leaking and getting on the belts thats what it appears to be so I need to get that fixed.

Its much easier to fix a bad front main seal than a bad rear main seal!  Its good being an optimist!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2010, 12:27:44 AM »
BIG UPDATE AND BAD NEWS: front seal stopped the leak up front.. now the back is leaking REALLY BAD. The damage has been done though. I need a new harmonic balancer and trans mount. along with that list is a new half shaft that needs put in, new blets, a carb rebuild and tune the carb. seeing how my cutlass will be driving this weekend im going to end up driving it... and probably sell the eagle. NOW before people start telling me not to sell it, heres my situation: Im going to school 4 days a week from 2:15 PM-10:15PM. I cant fix the rear main while in school cuz it will take more than 4 hours. I could move it and park it out side but I need a car to get back and forth to work and this would be at least a 2 day project. so I cant do it. next comes the storage issue. I would need to store here in ohio or at my grandpas barn in Michigan. well the barn is full and I cant store it here in ohio because I wont be around often enough to work on it. I cant park it in the street at my parents place cuz the neighbors are already complaining about my cutlass sitting there for 8 months and my dad doesn't want it sitting around for that reason.  plus I work 5 days a week and make enough to pay for rent, gas, and car insurance. So you now see my situation. So I really have no option but to sell it, I REALLY want to keep it but its not gonna happen.
1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL- Old Daily driver now has a new transmission and will become a daily driver again once I start on my eagle.

1986 Chevy 1 Ton non-dually regular cab-I miss that old truck :(.

1985 AMC Eagle Wagon- My new daily driver that has started an AMC obsession

" It's an AMC thing... normal people wouldn't understand"

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2010, 07:41:33 AM »
DRAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2010, 12:02:41 PM »
yup its a bummer i know. but this doesnt mean that i wont get another one. I plan on that.
1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL- Old Daily driver now has a new transmission and will become a daily driver again once I start on my eagle.

Offline Desert Eagle

• DJ TechNick
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2010, 11:49:24 PM »
ill buy it, only a few hundred bucks tho, if you interested let me know
1982 Sx4, "Deagle" 67,000 miles
1984 Wagon, restored with 180,000 "Kamm-o"
1984 5 speed wagon, 130,000 miles, silver and maroon.... "Destro"
1968 Javelin Project,, i have no clue what to do with that 1

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2010, 12:55:00 AM »
I pretty much have it sold right now to a guy who used to have an eagle but sold it a long time ago. Like I said before I AM Forcing myself to sell it against my own will( if that makes any sense at all) in order to save me money and a headache in the long run and get me to finish and graduate automotive school without having to worry everyday about whats gonna happen next. Now I knew it was showing its age but I wasnt expecting it this soon. Now this DOES NOT mean I'm done with eagles forever, actually I would consider it my beginning with them. I learned alot with this one, and learned some valuable lessons along the way. so now once I graduate in september Im going to get another one so im just kinda taking a break to get my stuff straightened out.

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2010, 04:41:24 PM »
I thought you were going to sell the wagon a while ago but then I found new links where you were working on it. Main seals are no simple project either. It almost always ends up being a rebuild from what I have heard. You know those," while I'm at it", deals

Offline Desert Eagle

• DJ TechNick
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2010, 10:13:33 PM »
i got a rear main seal replaced, 500 for everything, it became a rebuild
1982 Sx4, "Deagle" 67,000 miles
1984 Wagon, restored with 180,000 "Kamm-o"
1984 5 speed wagon, 130,000 miles, silver and maroon.... "Destro"
1968 Javelin Project,, i have no clue what to do with that 1

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2010, 08:05:16 AM »
yea its pretty much at a stand still. Im home this weekend to get my other car. Im going to TRY to break even on the eagle. I bought it for $2000( I know I over paid don't remind me lol) so thats wht im selling it for. ALL the parts i need are sitting at napa right now i just have NO money to buy them. so I guess for a little extra i could include those parts. I fear I may have to take a loss on this. I dont want to sell it but i graduate tech school in september and just need the money and possibly a newer vehicle. idk yet anyone have any ideas at all?

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2010, 10:40:25 PM »
whats up everyone? well I've got good news first is first I still have the Eagle and its still at a stand still...for right now. I have to remove the engine again to replace the rear main seal and do a few other things.  second thing is I graduated automotive school and am now applying for jobs. anyway I'm going to be starting to get parts next week. it's been crazy the last month and a half and shows no sign of slowing down in the near future lol. so here is a pic of what it looks like now. still the same as before dent and all. I have all the hub caps for it but they are inside.

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2010, 10:41:43 PM »
Note all the oil under it. thats how bad it leaks oil lol.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2010, 08:59:27 AM »
Congratulations on finishing school.  Now you can put your new skills to use for fun and profit.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2010, 05:47:04 PM »
exactly what i'm going to do IE.

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2010, 09:28:49 PM »
Well I have some good news after a 2 months. I started a new job at a shop and am making money so because of this I have started to buy parts again, what I have so far is: 2 emblems, 1 rear washer nozzle, 1 half shaft, 1 valve cover gasket, and 5 feet of vacuum line( It was all they had tonight. I'm buying 10 more feet saturday)What I still need to buy: manual transmission mount, harmonic Balancer, harmonic balancer repair sleeve, Carb. rebuild. This is for starters so I can drive it daily again. More good news is that the oil leak IS NOT a rear main seal.I also need to figure out why there is no vacuum to the 4x4 switch and why my reverse lights don't work. they worked before Me and Mav. took the engine and transmission out but they havent worked since so I think we forgot to hook something up. any ideas on where to  start?

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2010, 10:34:29 PM »
  1 rear washer nozzle 
Where did you get it?!!!!!!
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk