News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 29, 2024, 06:15:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Full frame and straight axle  (Read 58418 times)

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Never thought i'd have one but know i always will!
Re: Full frame and straight axle
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2012, 09:04:15 PM »
Ya. I'm hoping he will be back! Big deep breath in... and HOLD..........

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2012, 01:03:55 AM »
When I first saw this thread the first thing that came to mind was...PURE AWESOME  :eyepopping: !!
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2012, 04:13:19 PM »
This guy is obviously a skilled craftsman who was intent on doing it right. I, too, would like to see the finished project. If it comes out as expected his plan has the potential to save the rusty ones that usually wind up in the jaws of the crusher. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2012, 06:28:59 PM »
This guy is obviously a skilled craftsman who was intent on doing it right. I, too, would like to see the finished project. If it comes out as expected his plan has the potential to save the rusty ones that usually wind up in the jaws of the crusher. :eagle:

I have made several sub frames for my Eagles.  This is a great way to save a car that has frame rot.  The front sub frame for a wagon:

Mounted in the car:

A full frame (doubles as an air tank for on-board air) for my SX4:

It was easier to turn the car over and make the frame for the SX4, than to weld upside-down.
The front sub frame for the wagon was made on a fixture I made from a scrap Eagle.  This frame fixture is free to anyone that wants to make sub frames for Eagles (it needs to be picked up in So. Cal.).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 06:31:27 PM by rollguy »
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Prafeston

« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2012, 07:19:07 PM »
What did you use to flip over the Eagle without injury to the bird? Do you have it resting on tires?

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2012, 09:43:49 PM »
What did you use to flip over the Eagle without injury to the bird? Do you have it resting on tires?
You won't believe me if I told you, but I'm telling you anyway.    I removed everything that I could (within reason).  I already had the drivetrain out for rebuilding of the engine and change from 5 spd to auto.   All the suspension was removed (didn't use any of it anyway).  An empty shell was left, and about three other guys and I rolled it over on tires and wood blocks.   The only casualty was a small crease in the roof just in front of the sun roof, and a cracked windshield.  I had another windshield from a parts car, and the crease is still there (barely noticeable  among the other dents now).  Once the frame was made, we turned it back over and propped it up on stands.  The frame was slid underneath after painting, and bolted up.  The rest of the job was done just like any other build.....Rich
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Prafeston

« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2012, 09:58:38 PM »
Wow...that's impressive! Bummer about the crease in the roof though.

Offline Animal

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2012, 12:06:43 AM »
Ya. I'm hoping he will be back! Big deep breath in... and HOLD..........

I am here. I have moved again. This time I moved from Texas to just outside Tulsa Oklahoma. Sadly, I could not drive my eagle to the new place and had to put it on a car hauler. However, I am settled in now and set-up shop. I also bought a new Hobart Ironman 230 welder. Car is almost complete and I just installed a slip yoke eliminator in the transfer case and had both front and rear drive lines built. The only thing left to do is run the brake and fuel lines and take it to the muffler shop to get some exhaust. I have already researched getting it licensed in Oklahoma and it will be no problem. And, I still carry insurance on it from before I started the project.

I really like the AMC Eagles and can't wait to get my ride back on the road. I would have had it done by now but I moved from Arizona to Texas to Oklahoma in the last 2 years. No more waiting. It is spring time now, and I fully expect to have the first test run under way soon. I will post some updated pictures.

Thanks for everyone's support,
Brandon   

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2012, 08:34:53 AM »
 :occasion14: Good to hear!
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Never thought i'd have one but know i always will!
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2012, 09:41:11 AM »
dude, you p'ed my wife off... you put a dream in my head, and now she aint happy. after seeing how you did your frame, after i get my house bought, i want to make ONE of my sx4's into a prerunner style rig. 4 link front and rear, coil overs, 360 ect. not happening probably, but that would be so BAD AZZ to see one done like that. dana 44's front and rear, electric lockers in both, 33's, and SMOOTH over the bumps in the desert here. low range would be a MUST. ok, its 2 am, i just found this. im dreaming. i guess the beer is telling me to go to bed now... LMAO!!!! WOW  i wish i had the $$$$ to build this.
If you are thinking 2wd prerunner check this thread out.
http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=37600.0

rohnk

« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2012, 02:01:21 PM »
Some updated pics of this project would be awesome! Of course a video on You Tube of it in action will be awesome too. Very nice project and good save for an Eagle.

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2012, 03:49:15 PM »
You won't believe me if I told you, but I'm telling you anyway.    I removed everything that I could (within reason).  I already had the drivetrain out for rebuilding of the engine and change from 5 spd to auto.
That's the part I can't believe. I'm going out to Tacoma this weekend to look over a 5SPD Eagle. I need a car that works. I'll be looking up subframes later on when I have time and money to restore these cars.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2012, 05:56:52 PM »

I have made several sub frames for my Eagles.  This is a great way to save a car that has frame rot.  

Sorry, I should have known you have built subframes after seeing pix of ALTREGL. Yours, too, has the potential for saving otherwise crusher-bound Eagle shells.

There is some awesome craftsmanship on display in this forum. Your's and Animal's are right up there at the top. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Prafeston

« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2012, 06:19:17 PM »
Threepete needs this!! :)

rohnk

« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2012, 10:06:42 PM »
Well, get to work on it Rafe! You don't have to do it all at once and make it real pretty, just safe and stable to use off road. Then you would have a real toy!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk