News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 09:27:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Priya's SX/4 project  (Read 353954 times)

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
Re: Priya's SX/4 project
« Reply #345 on: March 21, 2011, 01:24:16 PM »
Thanks LaGuardia!

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #346 on: March 21, 2011, 01:53:01 PM »

HI        I would love to help you two on this Wonder Car but I don't have a pasport. lucky you .........Don
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 02:19:23 PM by teneagle »
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #347 on: March 21, 2011, 02:18:03 PM »
Don, if you ever get a passport you're welcome to come help ;)

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #348 on: March 22, 2011, 01:41:31 AM »
Its so cool to see a husband/wife team share in a project like this...Unfortunatly, my wife sees my Eagle as a time and money consuming piece of junk...I see it a bit differently ;D...but at any rate this project sure shows just how much can be accomplished when 2 people share a common passion! My hat is off to you both for creating such a beautiful machine...I cant wait to see the final product!!!
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #349 on: March 22, 2011, 11:10:11 AM »
Thanks Shanebo.  I'm eager to see the finished product too, but its going so slowly!  I've spent a lot of time waiting for parts and for Ward to come home from work to give me advice on how to do various things but I've got enough stuff now that I should be able to work on it more consistently than I have plus the weather is warming up which makes me less reluctant to go out in the garage.

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #350 on: March 22, 2011, 01:41:14 PM »
I've read this whole thread and to say I'm implessed is a understatement.Wish my wife would take that kind of intrest in my eagle.Instead of just walking past it and shakes her head and sayes,What are you doing to it now!Anyway supper job and keep up the fine work.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #351 on: March 22, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
Thanks Eagleman ;)

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #352 on: March 23, 2011, 12:01:31 AM »
My poor Ginger is taking a while too...Its so frustrating when I dont have the time and parts to work on her. I just want to lock myself in the garage for a week with a truck full of parts and get her done....best of luck on that awesome car!
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #353 on: March 23, 2011, 12:54:07 PM »
Thanks again, Shanebo.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #354 on: April 03, 2011, 06:17:41 PM »
Some more progress on the SX/4.  We decided to install the transmission this  weekend.  The original trans in this car was bad so we removed the transmission from the first Eagle I bought which had been sitting in a field since '97.  Ward figures it might have gone bad from sitting so long, but we decided to take a chance and put it in anyway.  After we slid the trans out from its storage place Ward noticed something on it we hadn't seen before:

Looks pretty scary, makes you wonder how it got cracked like that, but I did drive the car with that trans for 6-8000 miles and it worked fine so, here's hoping for the best.

The first struggle was getting the transmission on the trans jack.  We tried with me at the bellhousing and Ward at the back but after we lifted it off the ground it started to slip out of my left hand and we had to put it down in a hurry.  Then we switched places and I got my end of the transmission to about stomach level which was a few inches too low to go on the trans jack and that was all I could do.  We set it back down and I said to Ward "I don't think I can do it.".  He suggested puting down a couple of layers of 2X4's and trying again and after catching my breath he convinced me to try one last time.  We lifted it off the ground, I stepped onto the 2X4's and just managed to get my end on the trans jack.  I then spent the next 5 minutes gasping trying to catch my breath - I'm in terrible shape!

Here's Ward ready to lift the trans in place, I never noticed the pose until after I uploaded these pictures:

Ward lifting the trans and showing one of his better angles:

Ward bolting the trans in place:

And finally the trans in place and the jack coming down:

The next  day it was time to put the front differential in place:

Took some wiggling but we got it in place:

Then it was time for the shiny new constant velocity joints:

They were surprisingly reluctant to go in, but after much swearing and exertion Ward got them in place:

I had wanted to get the carpet and front seats installed before the trans, but we're replacing the poor condition Eagle seats with some I had in a 79 Monza I owned and the installation is turning out to be a good deal more difficult than I first thought it was goint to be.  The plan was to remove the tracks from the Monza seats:

And then to take the lower seat frame and tracks from the Eagle seat:

And weld some tabs from the Eagle seat frame to the track mounts on the Monza seat.  I calculated the Monza seat would sit 2 inches higher than the stock eagle seat but we did a test fitting first, put the Eagle lower seat frame and tracks in the car and then sat the Monza seat on top.  It was waaaay higher than I expected and even with the tilt steering all the way in the up position there wasn't enough room for me to slide my leg between the seat cushion and the steering wheel.  Ward's plan now is to make a jig that mirrors the SX/4 floor panel, remove the Eagle tracks from the Eagle seat frame, move them 1 inch or so closer together and then bolt them to the side of the Monza track mounts which are narrower than the Eagle's track mounts.  Then we make new holes in the floorboards and hopefully the thing then bolts in without being overly high.  I'm disappointed it didn't work the way I first envisioned as I could have done that myself, but now I have to rely on Ward to do the modifications so I'm filling up yet more of his weekends with stuff I wish I could do myself.

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #355 on: April 03, 2011, 06:25:28 PM »
Great progress !! Not to be meant as a critique ( sp ? ) comment, but I am suprised you didn't paint all those parts going back in, with all the work you have done on it otherwise.........
That tranny jack looks like it helps, I had a fun time doing mine on my back with the car on blocks. I took it out one piece,( the tranny/tcase) but put it back in seperately , it was much easier.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #356 on: April 03, 2011, 06:35:49 PM »
I never really gave much thought to painting the underbody parts as this is going to be a winter car and it wouldn't last long.  Ward was even questioning whether or not it was worth the trouble to paint the motor, but I thought I wanted to do that much anyway and while I was at it, did the various motor brackets as well.  This project is already taking a lot longer than I planned, I was supposed to be driving this car last November, so spending more time prettying up the underneath isn't in the cards.

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #357 on: April 03, 2011, 06:39:32 PM »
with access to a lift you can always go back and undercoat and paint all of the undercar componets at a latter date ;D
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #358 on: April 03, 2011, 06:54:22 PM »
Yes, could do.  What I've got in mind after I'm done is to take it to one of those rustproofing places and get the underside sprayed with oil or whatever material they have to inhibit rust and then to do that every fall.

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #359 on: April 03, 2011, 10:05:14 PM »
the lord fusor company makes an undercoating that is sprayed on and looks dang near exactly like the AMC undercoating that was used.  i am waiting for my sprayer to get ordered in through work so that I can give it a try ;D
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk