News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 11:35:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Priya's SX/4 project  (Read 353969 times)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
Re: Priya's SX/4 project
« Reply #300 on: October 20, 2010, 12:20:17 PM »

No problem,  I'll post lots of pictures when its done and I can manage a video too.

ACC offers a heavy duty backing for the carpet for an extra charge, not sure if that's what you're thinking of in terms of harder wearing.

Actually, I just sent them an email asking if I could get the nylon loop in the form for the AMC Eagle.  I also checked the later concords to see if they offered nylon loop. 

Nylon loop is the same type of carpet you'll see in offices.  it's harder wearing, and it puts up with more rigorous cleaning

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #301 on: January 22, 2011, 04:38:54 PM »
I got some new tires and wheels for the car and broke the budget. I originally was thinking $500 for wheels and tires. I bought a set of factory alloy wheels for $250 and they were a bit beat up and the finish was kind of rough.  I talked to hubby about refinishing them myself and he said I couldn't get a nice even shiny finish by sanding so he recommeded I take them to a place that refinishes wheels.  We got an estimate of $500 and I thought "Oh my!".  Sat on the wheels for another month thinking about leaving them as is or redoing them myself and eventually decided the paint job didn't cost me anything so I could afford to go overbudget on the tires and get the shop to refinish them.  They have a computer controlled lathe and they input the make of wheel and it takes the original dimensions and shaves off 5 to 10 thousandths of an inch to give it a new appearance.  Got the wheels back a few days ago and the bill was $660! :o  I was having a lot of buyer's remorse until I got a look at the wheels today and WOW!  Do they ever look good!  I had them painted the same shade of blue as the stripes and lower body of the car.  Hubby mounted and balanced the tires and surprised me with a set of chrome valve stems.

Too bad I didn't take a before picture.  The pictures don't really capture how nice these turned out but between these three you can get an idea of how they look:

I took this one outside when it was overcast so it looks quite a bit different from the previous two, but a lot more even:

And here's the Nokian Hakkapelitta 7 super duper winter tires.  $860 for four, ouch!

So I've gone about $1200 over budget, the wheels look great but I'm starting to run out of cash and I still have various things to buy so I'll have to start cutting some corners now.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 04:56:27 PM by priya »

wagoneerhauler

« Reply #302 on: January 22, 2011, 05:55:42 PM »
Wow they do look great.  The price is a bit much for me too.  I wonder what a set of new rims would have been.  You might have been able to get something close to those but I guess having the right ones is nice.  Are they clear coated?

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #303 on: January 22, 2011, 06:01:14 PM »
Yes, that occurred to me too, I could have bought a nice set of new rims for that price.  My husband said new rims would certainly have cost that much so its a bit of "which do you like best".  I do like having the original style Eagle rims colour coordinated to my car and they do look like new so I guess I'm okay with it despite the sticker shock.  The rims are clear coated as well.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #304 on: January 22, 2011, 06:19:39 PM »
Wow!  Those are very nice.  Should look good when on the car.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #305 on: January 22, 2011, 07:07:57 PM »
Thanks Doug and Regalwizard.

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #306 on: January 22, 2011, 07:23:57 PM »
Now the question is, what are you going to do about the plastic center cap?
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #307 on: January 22, 2011, 08:05:39 PM »
I have the plastic centre caps  unfortunately they're in the same sort of shape the wheels originally were, lots of gravel rash and a number of dents.  It'll be quite a mismatch when I put those on these new looking wheels.  I'm almost tempted to leave them off, I don't think the alloy wheels look too bad without them, and maybe a person could get some sort of smaller cap that would just cover the part of the axel that shows through.  I discussed it with my husband and he says he's going to cast some aluminum centre sections in the spring/summer to replace the plastic ones.  He'll then stick them in his lathe to give them that nice machined look the rims have.  He's got a lot of stuff to do in his off time so I've got my fingers crossed that he'll find the time to do this.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #308 on: January 22, 2011, 08:46:52 PM »
Yes, I sure am.  I bought my first Eagle as a winter necessity and was really impressed with its snow-going abilities.  I bought this one for the same reason and my plan to use it as a winter car has never changed.  My summer car is a 79 Corvette so that's not going to be my winter car.  On the bright side I don't drive a lot these days, maybe 2-3000 Km per year so perhaps 1000-1500 km on the Eagle so I don't think winter will take a lot out of it.

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #309 on: January 22, 2011, 10:52:10 PM »
those rims do indeed look awesome!!! i like the idea of no center caps and getting smaller hub covers because of the paint  in the lug recesses (unless the lugs cover all the paint up).  Who did the wheels?
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #310 on: January 22, 2011, 11:27:47 PM »
The wheels were done by Saskatoon wheel works.

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #311 on: January 24, 2011, 08:24:59 AM »
 :o Awesome!!
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline greythorn3

• Wheelordie.com
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Wheelordie.com
    • Wheelordie.com
« Reply #312 on: January 24, 2011, 04:44:35 PM »
paint the center caps. either one of the colors of the car or black.
Age & trickery beats youth & vitality every time.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #313 on: January 24, 2011, 06:24:25 PM »
I'm going to give that some thought greaythorn3, thanks for the suggestion.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #314 on: February 04, 2011, 06:07:10 PM »
Before I abandoned my first Eagle my husband removed the tilt steering column from it so I could put it in this SX/4 which had a standard column.  I started prepping it for paint when Ward asked if I would rather have him disassemble it to make it easier to paint.  I said sure and he pulled it apart for me.  Here it is partially prepped for paint:

Here it is after painting and with the sport steering wheel I got from El Matador:

After hubby reassembled it:

And after I installed it in the car today:

Prior to installing it in the car I noticed the old column had a three prong electrical plug that the tilt column didn't have and the tilt column had a four prong plug that the standard one didn't have.  I thought "Oh no!"  but Ward looked and said the three prong plug on the standard column was for the column mounted dimmer switch with the tilt column didn't have.  He said he'll put a dimmer switch on the floor and that'll cure that.  The four prong plug on the tilt column turns out to be for its cruise control switch which the standard column didn't have.  After I installed the column  I noticed another thing that has me nervous.  There's a long electrical socket on the column with a single row of wires.  That connected up to the female end in the car but then I noticed the colour of the wires comming in doesn't match the colours of the wires going out.  Sounds like trouble to me but I'll see what Ward says when he gets home.  The tilt column was originally in my 81 Eagle wagon so I'd think if it worked there it should work in the 81 SX/4 but the tilt column originally came out of some other AMC and I'm not sure what it was other than I don't think it was an Eagle.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk