News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 30, 2024, 06:09:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vapor Storage Canister  (Read 4021 times)

Offline dkoug

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
  • 85 Eagle Basic
Vapor Storage Canister
« on: September 01, 2012, 05:32:23 PM »
Diagram http://www.amceaglenest.com/~iowaeagl/guide/index.php?title=Fuel_Return_System

The return line of my 82 Eagle if left open as it should be has raw gas running  from the vapor canister . 

Pinch if off and drip (good size drip) stops.  I put a new roll over valve on it about 2 years ago and I think it stopped the problem but old mind not sure!!!!!!

Any advice on this fuel leak from the Vapor Canister?
With the line closed to the fuel tank the fuel drip from the Canister stops, any problems without the return fuel line??

Much appreciated.

dkoug

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
Re: Vapor Storage Canister
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 06:18:47 PM »
Nothing in that diagram is labeled as a return line. That pictured is incorrectly labeled as well, it is not the fuel return system, it a diagram of the evaporative system, which collects gasoline vapors and stores them in the canister. The fuel return system is connected to the fuel pump. Also, none of your hoses should be left open. Which hose in that diagram is open your system?
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 87
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
What Dan said x 2.   The fuel return line (the one from the second small outlet on the fuel filter) should only go to the metal return line back to the tank.   It should NOT be part of, or in, the evaporative system at all.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline donnyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 11:43:39 AM »
I have a question please. My canister has a large (looks like 3/8") hose attached to the bottom. Where does this hose connect.

Offline dkoug

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
  • 85 Eagle Basic
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 02:25:58 PM »
Well, if I leave the second line open that goes to the metal tube that I understand goes back to the roll over valve and fuel tank with a full fuel tank I get raw fuel dripping out of the vapor canister.  I pinch it off and fuel leak from the canister stops and car still runs normally.  Going t put on a new roll over valve tomorrow. hoping it soves the problem.

The second line mentioned should go where???

thanks

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 03:13:18 PM »
There are two lines on the driver's side, close together. One is the return line from the filter, the other is the vent line. The return line goes across the back of the car and joins the sending unit, and the vent line goes to the top of the tank, through the vapor and rollover valves.

The return line has an often missing check valve in it. The check valve actually slipped into the hose and is easily overlooked when replacing lines. It took just 1-2 psi to open, I believe.

The big connection on the bottom of the canister is to allow moisture to drip out of the bottom, there should be a hose down under the car from there open on the bottom.

So the fuel filter bypass (which is always at 12:00) goes through the check valve and straight into the return line.

The carb bowl lines and tank vent go into the canister. The drain comes from the bottom of the canister to below the car. The purge line joins the PCV line either at the PCV valve or at the back of the carburetor. The purge signal line connects to the CTO or dual CTO.

There are a lot of lines there.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline dkoug

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
  • 85 Eagle Basic
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 09:07:17 AM »
BenM, thanks very much.

dkoug

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk