News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 06:29:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: front coil springs  (Read 4068 times)

Offline luvmyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
front coil springs
« on: July 26, 2014, 09:37:56 PM »
i had to get new front coils a while back and they appear a little too long.....they do not line up center with the upper shock bracket under hood....either side....have to shim one side on bottom to get it to center....any ideas on what i can do?...........i am going thru front shocks fairly fast. is there any way to modify springs or do i need to look for pair at salvage yard?   it has thrown the center off fairly bad.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: front coil springs
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 11:11:47 PM »
Honestly, I have no idea what your are trying to describe. Which springs did you purchase and install? The coil springs go into a spring pocket up top. The upper shock mount is a separate part from where the spring goes in. What do you mean "it has thrown the center off bad"?
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline luvmyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 12:12:37 AM »
the shock does not center in the shock pocket on top....top part going thru the hole in the shock pocket...it appears to have lifted the front end a little higher to where the top of the shock does not align in the hole properly...top of shock hitting side of shock pocket....doing it on both sides...appears i was possibly give wrong front coils?    never had this problem until new front coils wer installed

Offline luvmyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 12:19:06 AM »
the coil looks ok in the pocket itself.....but does not align properly in the upper shock mount.....shock comes thru on the side of the hole of the upper mount making it difficult to put on washers, rubber bushings...like i said maybe coil is little longer throwing shock off center going thru upper mount

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 11:51:05 AM »
Ok, now I understand. Yes that can be a bear sometimes. Do you have the wheel down on the ground when you attempt to tighten the top shock nut and bushings? If not, that might make it easier. Also, here was some chatter a while back about some replacement shocks being Shorter than OEM.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are actual replacement springs for the Eagle. Ones being sold as Eagle springs are actually for other vehicles and are "close" but usually raise the Eagle's front end more than some would like.

Offline luvmyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 03:41:46 PM »
yes the wheel is on the ground, when the bottom nuts are tightened it's knocked off center on the top mount  immediately...can i modify the existing springs or do i need to try another set...what vehicle springs would fit my eagle?.....i've heard springs off an amc concord would work...any thoughts?

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 03:15:47 PM »
The pivot on the bottom of the shock is stuck on an angle. Same as my Eagle. I need to spray lube it and twist it a bit till it's loose.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline luvmyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 08:20:46 AM »
the pivot on the shock bottom does not have the mounting holes on car that are front to back, the mounting holes for the shock is left to right,,if the mounting holes for shock was front to back that would take care of problem as i could pivot the shock then.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 10:10:59 AM »
Where the spring seat(the part that the bottom of the shock attaches to)bolts to the upper control arm,  the piece that mounts to the control arm pivots in that bushing.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 10:18:50 AM by eaglefreek »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk