News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 26, 2024, 04:49:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine Replacement  (Read 21276 times)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Engine Replacement
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2014, 03:43:37 PM »
When you put it that way it just seems a bit expensive to me. I guess I have more time than money. :-\
About 8 years ago, when I had my Mustang SVO, I spent over $2,000 in machine work and assembly on a 2.3L engine. I supplied all the parts. $2,000 for a rebuilt engine seems like a good deal to me. Not that I have $2,000 to throw around.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2014, 05:43:05 PM »
The third time our 1999 Subaru fried its head gaskets it was too warped to repair and our only option was a crate engine for $3,200. We let it sit for a year before I found a low mileage engine someone bought for $1,500 and then sold to me for $1,000. That is normal prices to pay for newer cars.

Most reman Jeep engines are $1,200 for a short block and 2,500 for a long block. Several place offer the stroker but its about $3,200. The $2,000 price sounds too good to be true.

You might think that's expensive but you will buy a car for $600, lug it home, fight rust and take 30 man hours cutting it up, the engine will sit in your garage for a year or two, then you'll spend about 40 hours cleaning and rebuilding and about $300 in gaskets, then you'll install it and it might break in a few months. Been there, done that.

$3,200 for a crate to show up with a warranty, chemical acid wash all the grease an rust off, nicely tapped holes, fresh bored and decked engine perfectly true, and a warranty with confidence. It can be ordered and installed in a week instead of hunting and rummaging for a year. Best deal ever.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 05:45:57 PM by captspillane »
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2014, 06:42:46 PM »
For me, that price tag is too high. Maybe it's because where I live we have a few well known engine rebuilders who have good rates and would rebuild an engine, or build a stroker, for about $1000-1500 depending on the engine and what was wanted.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2014, 10:04:16 PM »
Found it. It's the one Brentmo is using in his '83 SX/4 project, and I'm entirely jealous: http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=43044.0;all

4.7l Stroker:
https://www.sandjengines.com/Engines/Details?partNumber=AMC-288LB-1&type=auto-engines&make=JEEP&model=JEEP&subModel=_&productApplicationID=10626

For a lot of people, engine building is quite intimidating; it requires a plethora of tools, takes much time and planning, and can be easily botched (which can cause exponential repairs, costs, and safety concerns). For those of us who are brave enough to do it on our own, it is quite possible to do it on a budget. However, when you factor in the man hours it requires, it all depends on your income and how much you really value your time. In comparison to what guys spend on their performance engine builds and pristine show cars to win a plastic trophy, $2000 is a drop in the bucket.

In my case, if I had the money, that would be unbelievable. With a 40 hour work week and the Eagle being my only daily driver, that engine could be swapped in over a weekend and not have any down time. Granted, I could buy a newer car for that price, but I wouldn't have gotten my Eagle in the first place had I wanted to go that route. When it's done, I'll have built my dream car.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2014, 10:09:17 PM »
For me, that price tag is too high. Maybe it's because where I live we have a few well known engine rebuilders who have good rates and would rebuild an engine, or build a stroker, for about $1000-1500 depending on the engine and what was wanted.

Keep in mind, though, they may build you that stroker for $1500, but you still have to supply the block and crank...

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2014, 09:55:40 AM »
Which can be found very easily ;)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2014, 10:51:14 AM »
They charge a $400 core charge, so I would assume it would still be $2,000+ if you supplied your own engine.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2014, 11:58:12 AM »
If I had the money and was doing a total restoration of a sweet condition Eagle that would be a bangin deal. The builders here would charge about 25% less I think, but then it'd be a waiting game.

That engine looks really nice though. Had to wipe away a bit of drool.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2014, 12:29:06 PM »
I have a stroker in pieces in my shed I've been trying to find time/energy (when I wasn't working) since '02 to put together
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2014, 09:43:40 AM »
I think I know why the difference in ideals regarding pro rebuilt engines, and why I'm kind of shocked at the high prices you guys are quoting for used motors.

In my area (Nova Scotia) there's a LOT of rust from salty air, salt on the roads, salt salt salt...and moisture. Engines really aren't affected by it for some reason, so there's a lot of low KM vehicles that were never undercoated properly or at all. Like my XJ, thing is Swiss cheese but the engine runs smooth as butter, quiet as a whisper.

It's the same reason why a lot of car guys around here LOVE to go up north to find old cars. Bodies are in amazing condition but the engines/trans are usually shot.

In saying this, some engines around here fetch a premium...the old 258 in running condition is one of them that does to the right people.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2014, 08:31:57 AM »
Around here (in PA), the 4.0 has to be the most common engine in the yard. I could probably pick out 10 of them sitting in XJs and WJs. On the other hand, older jeeps and wranglers are usually the first ones stripped, so 258s are hard to come by at the yard. Craigslist is a different story though, the 258 will pop up all the time. Prices vary.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk