News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 06:17:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine Replacement  (Read 21870 times)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Re: Engine Replacement
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2014, 07:02:28 AM »
Someone mentioned the oil pump/pickup on the 4.0 not working with the 4.2L pan.

If I'm doing the full 4.0 / AW4 / 231 conversion is this something I have to contend with??

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2014, 09:55:48 AM »
Do you have to haphazardly attempt to drop in a new 4L to find out? Just do some measuring on the oil pan and you'll see three problems:
• The lowest section of the 4L pan is too big to clear the engine crossmember
• The oil pumps have nearly identical design
• The oil pump pickups use their respective oil pan

There have been issues noted with all three. I'm probably going to go with a 4L oil pump just because I like the bigger selection for this engine but aside from that, the crankcase and pistons, my parts are intended for a 258. Any other combination would be a worse situation than trying to force a square peg through a round hole and you really don't need that kind of headache.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2014, 11:20:59 AM »
I'm using the 4.2L oil pan with my 4.0L (from a 94 XJ) when I do my swap. Do you think I'll come into a problem if I just stick the pan onto my 4.0L?

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2014, 11:29:14 AM »
You sure will. The oil pickup tube stays with the respective pan.

Manitowoc WI

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2014, 02:23:04 PM »
Each different designed pan must have the matching pump screen with it. It's not hard or rocket science.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2014, 07:13:08 PM »
Never removed any of this before...it's my first swap. I'm an engine swap virgin.

Anything I might need to buy?

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2014, 09:02:06 PM »
4' long extension and impact quality swivel sockets 1/2", 9/16", 5/8" and 15 mm. Breaker bar and quality ratchet. First time in 4 years I helped do a motor swap between yesterday and today (not quite done) on a '98 GMC 4x4 with Vortec 350.

Avoid doing it on gravel! If you have to, then use thick plywood to roll the hoist on.

Triple check everything is loose and check again as you lift and even go so far as to catalog which bolts go where and take photos to remind you. Bell housing bolts are the worst part. If you have the AC, then the hole for the drain through the floor allows you access to the top center bolt. I do the bottom 2 bolts last (even with the crank and bigger than the others) with the hoist attached and a chain to hold the trans up under the bell. The 2 or 3 small splash pan bolts come off first, then the  Converter bolts and if the trans torque converter pops forward more than 3/4", you will get an ATF shower, even with a drained transmission.
   In the Eagle, if you plan to change motor and trans it is possible to do them together, BUT solid ground keeps you from being crushed by a hoist flipping over. Never do that part alone and preferably with someone strong and experienced if you aren't. Slow and steady keeps you alive!
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2014, 09:45:16 AM »
I have a friend who happens to me a 25 year long mechanic doing most of the work (with all required tools). I'm there to do what needs to be done and buy all the necessary parts lol.

As long as the oil pan swap doesn't necessitate buying anything new besides a new gasket I'm happy ;)

I'll be doing a write up with pix after to the swap. Prior to it (this week or so) I'll be making a final post with my plan of action, the parts I'm buying, and so on, so I can be picked apart to ensure it's done smoothly.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2014, 12:03:16 PM »
I have to find the link on my personal computer at home, but I came across an engine building company on the west coast that sells 4.6l stroker engines for $2000 shipped and something like a 60,000 or 100,000 mile warranty (with certified mechanic installation).
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2014, 12:11:45 PM »
That would be a pretty big waste of money if the builder didn't know they're making it for an AMC. Might want to keep that in mind. :/
1983 Limited
M35-273 {???}

Rebuild:
???

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2014, 01:19:58 PM »
That would be a pretty big waste of money if the builder didn't know they're making it for an AMC. Might want to keep that in mind. :/
Can you clarify that? I'm not understanding what you're trying to say.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2014, 01:34:11 PM »
Oil pan, belt style, intake/power steering, exhaust...Well, it's not an issue for anyone reading these threads because we fully understand what's going on but the parts and arrangement of accessories that are on a traditional 4.0L directly conflict with simply fitting one into a Hornet or Eagle. It's not a simple drop-in replacement and you know that.
1983 Limited
M35-273 {???}

Rebuild:
???

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2014, 01:43:15 PM »
If you were to buy an stroker engine from a builder, it would be a long block so most of that wouldn't matter except for the oil pan and it might not even include that.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2014, 01:48:04 PM »
When you put it that way it just seems a bit expensive to me. I guess I have more time than money. :-\
1983 Limited
M35-273 {???}

Rebuild:
???

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2014, 02:13:55 PM »
IMO you'd be better off finding a 4.0 with lower KM sitting in a OBD1 Cherokee that you can hear running. Should be able to dig all that up for $600 or so, snag the whole XJ with the engine, transmission and transfer case.

Buy the gasket set for rebuilding the engine if you have any doubts. Pull the 4.0 apart, have the head checked to see if it needs decking/planing and whatnot. Pull the crank and rods from the 4.2, have them looked at to ensure they aren't crap.

Replace the 4.0 crank and rods with the 4.2L, there's your ghetto stroker. Toss the old 727 and t-case from the Eagle. Slap the newer drivetrain in with OBD1, profit...if you're running that stock trans and t-case with a stroked motor good luck.

That's sort of my plan right now, except the drivetrain is going in and I'm stroking it down the road. I found a XJ that was running for $250 (body rusted to snot), buying the rest of what I need for around $250-300 (engine runs nicely), and all I need to do now is the swap.

For the price of a rebuilt engine, you can have a much beefier and better performing car with a lot of new goodies under the hood. If you have more time than anything, than you know that making a few low cost local purchases is where it's at. Take a look at options you can do locally before blowing a huge wad of cash on a rebuilt motor.

Take the time to do it right and you get exactly what you want...and you can modernize your Eagle for less in the process :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk