News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 05:13:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: bad stepper motor  (Read 8231 times)

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
Re: bad stepper motor
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 02:56:09 AM »
My ears are perked.  Any more info?
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 50
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 10:02:04 PM »
go to the last page on the link below it is one of the last reply's there are no pics as of yet but there is a brief description.
http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=25010.45
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline eagle503

• "I'm not a mechanic I'm a parts replacer give me the book I can do it"
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
  • 85 limited wagon
    • art of loehr
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 03:06:31 PM »
The sun has been shining and I have been busy, but I got a little done on the Eagle. I did some diagnostics on the computer and good news it is OK. It seems just the stepper motor is bad. I also tested the old o2 sensor it was toast so it is a good thing I put that new one in. And I think it mite do some good to clean out my idle tubes.
It's not running that bad, now I just need to get the temp down any suggestions?

GRONK-I sent you a couple emails.
Click for YOUR_TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 04:33:48 PM »
What did you do to test the computer?
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline eagle503

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
  • 85 limited wagon
    • art of loehr
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 04:39:05 PM »
I used a multimeter to test the diagnostic plugs. This site has a good run down~http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm

Offline eagle503

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
  • 85 limited wagon
    • art of loehr
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 01:53:40 PM »
So I found some info on how the stepper is supposed to behave and I thought I should share it . After Reading  the "6 cylinder fuel Feedback Systems Manual" I have a better understanding of how this thing is supposed to function. My stepper does not work so I pulled it out again and messed around trying to get it to move, finally it budged.....
and the metering pins came all the way out, oops their goes that little spring! since it wont move on its own I putt it back together in the mid point range and put it in. It was a lot easier to start and the exhaust smelled better but it is still getting hot and idle is rough. I think my next step is to clean the idle tubes and go from there.
     I was not sure where the pins should be before, people said they should be all the way forward or in the mid point but I did not have any reference and the stepper was not able to move so I had no idea what all the way forward looked like. I got the F.S.M. and it cleared up that confusion! It is full of awesome pics and descriptions of all the fuel system components.

<<<<<<<Forward<<<<<<

I have been trying to keep moving on this project but I can not afford to spend a bunch of money rite now. I need to get this thing on the road so I can get out and make some money. I am waiting to hear back from GRONK about a 2150 but I Cant just sit and idle. If any body has a stepper motor they don't want I sure could use it, If I can get the carb working rite I can move on to fixing other things.

As always your suggestions and input are greatly appreciated!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk