News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 11, 2024, 09:10:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: You ever have one of those days?  (Read 3033 times)

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
You ever have one of those days?
« on: July 18, 2012, 12:39:17 PM »
Just upgraded the ignition on my 83 Eagle this past weekend and yesterday was my first real test of it. What I did was the TFI upgrade and initial starts and driving it to work yesterday I had no issues whatsoever. I had to run over to Hampton VA (from Norfolk) about 1030 crossing the Hampton Roads Bridge tunnel. No real issues except I felt what I could best describe as a intermittent cough coming from the engine. I could feel it but it wasnt slowing me down or anything.

So I did my business, was on the way back to work and got hung up on the bridge/tunnel on the way back (someones truck broke down). As I was waiting for traffic to move again, I still felt the "cough" but car was running ok otherwise. Soon as traffic started moving, I hit the gas and it stalled. I was able to restart but this time, the cough was more pronounced. It reminded me of the time my 01 Grand Cherokee threw a code for misfiring on cylinders 1 and 3. I got the car back to my work, looked under the hood and tugged, pushed, looked over everything..wasn't anything loose.  Car started up fine when I left work and about 3/4 the way home, it started acting up again. Long story short, I barely got the car home.

I checked all the new parts, everything was tightly connected, plug wires were all seated on both ends. I looked to see of I disturbed any other wires/vacuum lines when I was working on car, nothing looked out of place.

When I did the upgrade, I checked numerous sources to ensure I was getting the right parts, but only deviated on the coil. I didnt want to cut any wires so I used the accel 140207 coil (direct bolt in and uses the factory horseshoe connector) and at least one other on this forum is using that coil with no issues.

My first guess on this is since I used the Accel coil I shouldnt have gapped the plugs to .045 as its a 1.4 ohm coil and the resistor wire is still in place. Some pages say to gap to .045 with this coil, other dont say. I plan on adjusting that tonight/tomorrow first to .040, the .035 of that doesnt work.

Any other thoughts on this?
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Re: You ever have one of those days?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 09:58:55 AM »
It sounds like a weak coil or a weak ignition module. Since the coil changed, I would suspect the coil first, and I've had good luck with the Motorcraft branded parts. If that doesn't change things, then the upgrade may just be stressing your ignition module. Those are inexpensive as well, but I am uncomfortable with some of the cheap aftermarket ones, so you may want a spare so that the "new" module won't strand you somewhere.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 11:17:58 AM »
Thanks guys. Going to verify plug gaps tonight and if that makes it no better, then going to swap the coil back to the original. If no different, the ignition box was my next suspect. Cant understand why it worked great in the morning then crapped out later.
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Never thought i'd have one but know i always will!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 11:15:11 PM »
It sounds like a weak coil or a weak ignition module. Since the coil changed, I would suspect the coil first, and I've had good luck with the Motorcraft branded parts. If that doesn't change things, then the upgrade may just be stressing your ignition module. Those are inexpensive as well, but I am uncomfortable with some of the cheap aftermarket ones, so you may want a spare so that the "new" module won't strand you somewhere.
my module did the same thing soon after i did my upgrade. i switched it out with the chevy hei module runs and starts perfect now.

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 01:05:54 PM »
Finally cool enough outside to do a little work on this issue. Tried to start it...it cranked and cranked but no fire. So I swapped back to the original coil. Fired right up. So I was going to try to put it back to the new accell coil and noticed something when trying to connect the horse connector to it.....it didnt seat correctly. Looking a little closer, I could see why..See Pic below:

It looks like the lip that the horseshoe connector fits around is thicker on the Accel Coil than the factory coil. Also, the terminals are slightly taller too... Im betting thats my issues...it wasnt making a good solid connection (it felt liek it was when I plugged it on but I couldnt see it while it was in the coil cradle), so when I put a load on it (highway driving), It started missfiring.

Anything thoughts?
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 01:15:19 PM »
Take back the other coil and have it warrantied out because it won't fit the OEM connector (made in China, likely) Get the coil for a mid '70s Dodge. Napa number is IC12 or IC12SB. Double the output of stock and correct resistance. You just have to cut the stupid horseshoe connector off and hard wire it to the coil (no more cutouts from corrosion after that)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 01:40:38 PM »
actually, while the box for the coil says made in china, the sticker on the coil says made in the USA. (Maybe the sticker was made in the USA and the coil China) hehe
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 01:37:37 PM »
Put the orginal coil back it and then took it for a spin....no issues or misfiring....
83 Eagle Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk