News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 18, 2024, 04:55:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Loose steering and vibration.  (Read 12260 times)

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
Re: Loose steering and vibration.
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 07:15:11 PM »
I'm a Naval Architect by degree. When they build a ship they attach sensors to the engine, usually a direct drive slow speed diesel in most modern construction, and they record the frequencies of the engine. Every single rotating assembly, no matter how big or small, will have a frequency of vibration. Shipyards take great care in recording these and making sure they do not resonate with each other.

Every ship, every last one of them, has a zone of RPMs that you don't operate in. On one ship I was on I think it was 40 RPM on the two story tall massive slow speed direct drive diesel engine. At that speed the resonance would shake your coffee cup off the table and make your jaw chatter. You basically ran it less than that speed or more than that speed, never right at it. When you needed to speed it up you accelerated the engine through the rough spot as fast as you could. The throwback of the steam age is to call them "bells" but basically you have a set of evenly spaced common RPM values you type in for the motor or expect the engine crew to know how to maintain and the harmonic motion values are posted on a clipboard on the bridge warning you not to operate at that engine speed.

That's harmonic resonance. I firmly believe it is sound advice to replace the steering stabilizer early and often on your Eagle because the interaction of the axle being bolted directly to the engine will cause early wear to your components otherwise. I have seen Eagles with mediocre worn tires and worn parts rely on the stabilizer to stay road worthy. I could care less about Spirits or solid axles like XJ's and TJs, those don't matter much at all. It's just the Eagles that have an axle bolted directly to an Engine.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:22:35 PM by captspillane »
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 08:05:33 PM »
I'm a Naval Architect by degree. When they build a ship they attach sensors to the engine, usually a direct drive slow speed diesel in most modern construction, and they record the frequencies of the engine. Every single rotating assembly, no matter how big or small, will have a frequency of vibration. Shipyards take great care in recording these and making sure they do not resonate with each other.

Every ship, every last one of them, has a zone of RPMs that you don't operate in. On one ship I was on I think it was 40 RPM on the two story tall massive slow speed direct drive diesel engine. At that speed the resonance would shake your coffee cup off the table and make your jaw chatter. You basically ran it less than that speed or more than that speed, never right at it. When you needed to speed it up you accelerated the engine through the rough spot as fast as you could. The throwback of the steam age is to call them "bells" but basically you have a set of evenly spaced common RPM values you type in for the motor or expect the engine crew to know how to maintain and the harmonic motion values are posted on a clipboard on the bridge warning you not to operate at that engine speed.

That's harmonic resonance. I firmly believe it is sound advice to replace the steering stabilizer early and often on your Eagle because the interaction of the axle being bolted directly to the engine will cause early wear to your components otherwise. I have seen Eagles with mediocre worn tires and worn parts rely on the stabilizer to stay road worthy. I could care less about Spirits or solid axles like XJ's and TJs, those don't matter much at all. It's just the Eagles that have an axle bolted directly to an Engine.
EXACTLY!
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline captspillane

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 08:18:47 PM »
I've had four different Eagles develop a odd shake around 60 mph and then again around 85 mph. They would drive perfectly smooth at 50 mph or 75 mph or even 90 mph. The shake was very precise in frequency and very consistant in the speed it would start and then stop. Those shakes would be completely solved by replacing the steering stabilizer.

I remember being very scared of it when I was in high school. Then I went to college and drove ships. In that professional environment everyone expects vehicles to have resonance problems at precise engine speeds. It's normal.

I've also driven Eagles without any stabilizer installed at all with no problems. I drove my Spirit without one. I've never had a stickshift Eagle do it to me, only automatic 258s. I've seen many other people post the same symptoms but just for Eagles. I don't bother posting replies anymore because it just leads to arguments and name calling.

When a Pitman arm or balljoint goes it sucks all the time, any speed. It's not a harmonic motion, it's obvious slop and impending doom.

When a wheel balance weight falls off, it's a constant and annoying shake that gets worse as you go faster.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 08:24:50 PM by captspillane »

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5

-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550

-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 06:08:31 AM »
I've seen many other people post the same symptoms but just for Eagles.

When a Pitman arm or balljoint goes it sucks all the time, any speed.

My buddy's '05 TJ would go into the death wobble at roughly 35 mph on rough roads. He replaced the stabilizer to no effect. When the bad ball joint was replaced the death wobble went away.

You know, I'm not sure what you guys are trying to prove with all the info about ships and planes. My Eagle is a car, it doesn't fly or swim.
I'll stick with the automotive technician's take on this issue. Thanks Casper.

Offline captspillane

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 11:09:01 AM »
By all means it could be an unsafe condition ready to break and kill you, so act accordingly and start replacing stuff and giving your steering very close scrutiny.

It's possible that ignoring the condition of your steering stabilizer will speed up the aging process and force you to replace parts earlier than you would have otherwise had to.

I'm just saying that you should assume the worst and give your car due attention and concern. I'm also saying that the steering stabilizer is an important component on an Eagle worth maintaining with the same diligence as front shocks, tires, and so forth.

It is bad advice to go as far as to tell people the steering stabilizer is worthless. Until then I was more than happy to avoid the typical forum disagreement where everyone pulls out their credentials and compares the size of what's in their pocket.

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5

-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550

-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 04:37:02 PM »
By all means it could be an unsafe condition ready to break and kill you, so act accordingly and start replacing stuff and giving your steering very close scrutiny.

It's possible that ignoring the condition of your steering stabilizer will speed up the aging process and force you to replace parts earlier than you would have otherwise had to.

I'm just saying that you should assume the worst and give your car due attention and concern. I'm also saying that the steering stabilizer is an important component on an Eagle worth maintaining with the same diligence as front shocks, tires, and so forth.

It is bad advice to go as far as to tell people the steering stabilizer is worthless. Until then I was more than happy to avoid the typical forum disagreement where everyone pulls out their credentials and compares the size of what's in their pocket.

I understand that, the steering setup on the eagle was determined to need it, or the manufacturer wouldn't have put it in. As far as the steering stabilizer being the sole cause of death wobble, I find impossible. The steering stabilizer is there to take the shock out when you hit something on the road, so it isn't as likely to transfer the shock to the steering wheel. If you have death wobble, it's a sign that something is wore out. Stuff like tie rod ends, and ball joints are a service item
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 11:53:16 PM »
You don't know what scary is till you experience Comanche death wobble for teh first time SUDDENLY at 75 mph on a 20% downhill grade while a semi is passing you on one side and an idiot Russian towing a overloaded boat and trailer easily doing over 100 passes you on the shoulder. In the meantime, your canopy clamps have come loose and only one is keeping it from blowing off with 2 of your children!
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline SilentWolf8293

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2014, 02:27:13 AM »
Much as I would love to just start replacing parts willy-nilly I (unfortunately) work a minimum wage job less than 20 hours a week. I don't make enough money and I don't really have access to a reliable parts dealer.

Offline casper

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2014, 03:11:48 AM »
thats why its important to find WHATS wrong, and fix that first. the parts arent expensive, or hard to change. if its a pitman or idler arm, you can change them out and not worry about alignment. if its tie rod end, get it as close as you can, and  then you have to go have it aligned. thats another $60 or so bucks. and they will probably tell you other parts that are worn out, or getting close to needing replaced, so they cant get it perfect. (we get told that all the time when we send rigs to the alignment shop after replacing steering/suspension parts.)
62 rambler classic 2 door (casper)
63 rambler american 440 (rosie)
79 spirit (drag race car)
82 eagle station wagon (rotty wagon)
82 sx4 (honeybadger)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk