News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 28, 2024, 03:00:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New to Forum/Eagles  (Read 24566 times)

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
New to Forum/Eagles
« on: May 31, 2011, 11:44:30 PM »
Hi all! I'm new to the site and I love it! I don't have an eagle right now, but I'm in the market for one. I actually need a regular driver for college, but would LOVE an SX/4 or wagon 4x4 (who on here wouldn't?). I don't commute, so I wouldn't necessarily need it as a daily driver.

My last car, a Plymouth Acclaim, died on me twice within 6 months with bad transmissions, and I don't know that I want to get it fixed a second time. I'm thinking I'll put a maximum of $2000 in for another car.

Located in Eastern PA, near Philadelphia. If anyone on here has an Eagle nearby in good driving condition with minimal rust, please let me know! I've searched hi and low on the major sites (and some smaller ones), and ads I've responded to never answered me. On c-list, there are a few driveable Eagles within a couple hours that I need to check out. I also posted a wanted ad on there under Philadelphia if anyone wants to look.

I'm not extremely car savvy, but my older brother is an amateur mechanic I would say, and very knowledgeable about cars. I'd be better with maintenance anyway, and just keeping my car in good shape. This is why I'm not looking for a project car at the moment, even though I'd love to learn more. In fact, my brothers and dad are most likely against me buying something like an Eagle, but I don't care because it's my new dream car. In 15 years when I might finally be able to get one, they'll probably be impossible to find. I've always drooled over the AMCs (Pacer and Gremlin mostly), but just recently learned more about the Eagles.

It's just something about having a truck, sports car, and family vehicle, along with that classic 80's styling, that makes it look so awesome to me! Thanks to everyone in advance for any help or offers you can give ;D!
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
Re: New to Forum/Eagles
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 12:55:05 AM »
Update: The one guy from c-list just responded to me about the SX/4! He showed me a video (posted on the y-tube), and I'd like to know what some of you think. Just go to the site and type in "eagle sx4 starting". It should be the second video down by user "voghe24". He says the exhaust needs to be installed (included) and it may need wheel cylinders. It has 87k miles and 30k on motor. Thanks!

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 02:15:20 AM »
Horrible video.  I wish people would learn how to use a camera.  That didn't show a bloody thing. 

I would tell him:  "It's too dark, you're too quick with the camera, and you're too close.   All I could tell is it's a white SX/4.  That's it.  Drag it outside, and Pan slow so I can see it."

If he posts another hard to see video again, skip him and go to the next seller.  He's hiding something.

Prafeston

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 03:12:44 AM »
Yeah, from what little you can see from that video, it doesn't look like the kind of car you are wanting to get. Something more driver ready with little "project" stuff to take care of...then again, finding what you want with only a 2k budget could be difficult. You gotta remember these cars are 20+ years old and will probably always have something that need attention :)

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 50
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 03:20:30 AM »
i agree with whuntmore on this matter the guy is either trying to hide something or really has no idea how to use a camera.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 03:50:37 AM »
What turned me off the most, is he filmed inside a dark garage, and it's daylight out.  He could be that dumb, but who knows.

did you check out all the eagles for sale in our classifieds?  Now I didn't cross-reference to see how many are close to you, but you might wanna have a look if you haven't. 

There's a couple there that will need no work (as far as I can see) and there's a red 1985 limited wagon with wood side panels that is pristine.  You could drive that away, and then enter it in a car show.  Now I'm not one to buy something sight-unseen, but if I had the money, I'd be on a plane for that one.  Seller wants about $5000.  Looks like it could be worth every penny.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 04:57:31 AM »
I'd give him the benefit of the doubt though, I believe that video was done before just now and it wasn't something he just brewed up to show me real quick, like he was avoiding things. I'm a college student and can't afford to fly a plane to pick up a $5000 car anyway. He said it used to be his daily driver, but he has too many other projects and needs room to work. I wouldn't purchase the car without looking over it thoroughly and testing it, so what good is a jumpy video gonna do to keep me from noticing something? He's told me just about everything wrong with it and everything he's done to it.

He said he could probably get it road worthy for me also. I didn't ask about rust yet, but if it's in decent condition, I shouldn't have to worry about that in the next few years as long as I maintain it well. He told me he put in a crate motor from a wrangler, it has a good trans, solid transfer case. Says it pops out of 4 wheel into neutral once in a while, but I don't think that would be a trans prob.

I've looked everywhere on this site, as well as other sites for Eagles, and this is one of the few around me without major problems. I saw user "lasteagle" has one for sale in Pine Grove, PA about 2 hours away, but it has over 320, 000 miles and the fuel gauge doesn't work. This seems like a gem and a good find if it is what it looks like. I'll definitely ask for more pictures if he has the time.

Offline philotomy

• Northeast Kingdom, VT.Eagle
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
  • AMC guy 'till the day I die
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 10:29:30 AM »
Even if its 2 hrs away, try to get a ride to check it out in person,even a car high very high mileage tells me someone kept in good running order.
Philotomy,(my old  D+D Hobbit character) noun,pronounced "fil oto mee",but you can call me Don
1987 Eagle station wagon 4.2 mpfi

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 10:54:37 AM »
Keep us posted on what you find, and any questions you might have. 

And don't hesitate to ask any questions from the members here.  there's people here that know more about the eagle then I do about my left hand.

Prafeston

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 12:15:54 PM »
Check out the East Coast Sanctuary on here. I'm pretty sure they are brewing up some Eagles to fix up.    

thereverendbill has been emailing me about several Eagles in the East Coast area. I think he is working with IRON HORSE to get 4 or 5 Eagles to the sanctuary and hopefully get them running etc.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 09:42:45 PM »
Thanks for the advice Prafeston, I went over there and it looks like they're only a few hours from me. In fact, they're only an hour from my college and 20 min from my friend's house. I'm gonna ask the guy from c-list for pictures of the Eagle, including the underside and engine. I may go check it out soon, my brother agreed to help me with working on it and we may tow it home if I decide to buy. Thank you everyone else, I'll update you when I know more!

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 09:48:54 PM »
about 3 hours to be exact ;D
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 10:53:28 PM »
Yep, and I go to Shippensburg University. My friend is from Needmore, PA.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 01:59:40 AM »
So I talked to the guy again, he agreed to sell it to me for $1000 the way it is. He did send me a few pictures, but they were kind of disappointing since they were from his phone. I'll try getting them up on here if I can. Looks a little rusty on the underside, as most are, but I didn't think it looked detrimental. Interior looks good...slightly dirty maybe, but good. I believe he still has more pictures to send me.

This is the deal with the (somewhat) major issues:
-needs exhaust installed, but it's included
-needs wheel cylinders replaced for the drum brakes, don't think they're included, but cheap parts
-says pops out of 4 wheel drive once in a while, probably due to a vacuum leak somewhere
-has some rust spots, appears to be mostly surface rust and nothing corroding through.
-needs inspection

Also needs other minor parts installed (included) like driver side door handle and a button on the shifter. He did replace the transfer case, which is solid. I've got plenty of time to do work on it this summer, so that's not an issue. Who knows, maybe I'll even take a trip to the sanctuary to have the guys check it out when it's running ;)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 02:30:36 AM »
Second time you get bad pics.  I'd look it over real good.  How far is this car from you?  Did you say it was an hour away?  Can you get down to see it?

That sounds like an easy list. 

Except for the possible rust and I don't know how troublesome the 'popping' out of 4x4 is, but note from what I hear, the Transfer Case is very simple, and easy to repair/rebuild.   How did he replace it?  Why is it popping out? 

Make sure you got a clear title.  Check it yourself.

If you get this car, and before you redo the back brakes (cheap parts, yes) soak the nut holding the brake line to the rear cylinders with penetrating oil really well, and give it a few days to work thru - some might suggest up to a week.

for underside rust, Check:

the underside of the rockers, and the outer. 
Sides of the rockers (wheel wells)
where the front of the frame, comes across and then bends to meet the bottom of the firewall (the dogleg) Hopefully it's not separating badly. 
the floor in the spot (would be where driver's feet will go) and general floor areas.
where the back leaf springs are boxed into the frame.
etc.

I just hope it's not too bad for rot/rust. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk