News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 28, 2024, 09:33:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New here and looking at two eagles  (Read 18221 times)

Offline EagleJoe93

• "You'll know it's me when I roll through your town. I'm gonna ride around in style. I'm gonna drive everybody wild, cause I'll have the only one there is around."
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
New here and looking at two eagles
« on: May 11, 2011, 10:37:26 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm new here and there are two different Eagle's that I'm interested in and could use some help as to what would be the better eagle. Some of you may know me from a previous post from my dad as the 17 year old that wanted to buy a 1988 AMC Eagle with 52k miles but backed out due to not being able to fully afford it. Well, now that I've got a job and have been saving money for a couple of months now, I feel ready to be able to buy my first car, an AMC Eagle.

The first Eagle I'm looking at is a 1984 Wagon with a 6 cylinder engine and automatic transmission. It's about two hours from us, has 70k miles, was from Florida, has a new CV axle on drivers side, new brakes, and a new starter. It stalls sometimes when cold, needs new headliner, some interior plastic is broken, but seats are good. Asking price is $1500.

The second Eagle is a 1987 Wagon with a 6 cylinder engine and automatic transmission. It's about thirty minutes from us, has 115k miles, has all the emissions control things striped from the engine with a Ford Carburetor, has relatively new tires, the floors are lined with duramatts, but is missing front carpets and the AC doesn't hold a charge. Asking price is $1300.

Hopefully I've provided enough information. I may be going to see the 1987 Eagle on Saturday and I'm not sure when I can see the 1984 Eagle. Looking forward to hearing everyone's opinions.

Joe
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 11:03:22 AM by EagleJoe93 »
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited. Work in progress. Most likely have the only one in town. :)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
Re: New here and looking at two eagles
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 12:40:54 AM »
Welcome Eagle Joe.    About the eagles...

If I only had a choice between the two (and lets both car bodies had no rust)  I'd consider the second one, but that's a maybe...

how good does either start, run, drive, shift, (any issues with the 4x4?)
How much work will either need to pass safety, emissions, etc?
does either have clear titles?

Do either have any rot/rust? 
what options do they have on either? 
Is either a Daily driver?  Could either be a daily driver?

How's the paint?
how's the interior in the '87?  decent?

does everything (wipers, back window heater, lights, front heater, gauges, door handles, and locks, etc) seem to work?

All those questions answered will increase or decrease the value of either of those cars.  One or both might not even be worth $10. 

But it does boil down to how much you really want it, and how much you're willing to put up with (in condition) to own one.  Just so you know, there are some real bargains out there, and you also might want to check our (for sales section here in the forums) to see if any members might be selling a car near you. 

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 06:25:03 AM »
Welcome to the Nest!  I would to try buy the car that is the most complete as it it easier to remove and save stuff you don't want, rather than finding what is not there.  Check closely for underbody rot on both cars, that stuff is deal breakers.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

wagoneerhauler

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 09:50:21 AM »
Right IE, the rust here in NY can kill these cars.  I'd vote for the Florida car if it really was from there.  Can they prove that to you?  How long has it been in NY?  My first car (not an Eagle) was from Florida and it did have some odd rust issues from the ocean but the body was near mint.  Plus that Eagle only has 70k miles and would be a bonus to me.

But you really wont know until you get to see them in person.  Inspect the underside of each well.  Good luck in the hunt.

Offline EagleJoe93

• "You'll know it's me when I roll through your town. I'm gonna ride around in style. I'm gonna drive everybody wild, cause I'll have the only one there is around."
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 03:09:06 PM »
Thanks for the information. The body's of both cars appear to be in nice shape. As far as I know, things like the wiper blades and such work, and aside from the issues I mentioned, both cars are running. I forgot to mention that the 4X4 on the 1984 is not working. Not sure what options the cars have or if there is any rust underneath. I'm trying to see if me and my dad can see both cars this Saturday.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited. Work in progress. Most likely have the only one in town. :)

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 03:16:40 PM »
The bodies can look great even on terminally rusted out cars.  Its the underbody area that is of most concern.  The 4X4 issue is something that can be more easily dealt with than terminal rust.  This month's Hemmings Classic Cars has a great piece about rust vs. no/little rust.  Basically, what it says it is usually cheaper in the long run to get the car that has no/minimal rust that needs some other repairs than one that is mechanically fine but has extensive rust.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 03:21:56 PM »
The bodies can look great even on terminally rusted out cars.  Its the underbody area that is of most concern.  The 4X4 issue is something that can be more easily dealt with than terminal rust.  This month's Hemmings Classic Cars has a great piece about rust vs. no/little rust.  Basically, what it says it is usually cheaper in the long run to get the car that has no/minimal rust that needs some other repairs than one that is mechanically fine but has extensive rust.

X2 what he said.

Offline HappyPappy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 08:44:03 PM »
FYI, there was one on C-list, out of Dover De, think it had 77K miles, was only an '80 model though. I would stay away from the N Y one, the Fla one can have rust problems too!  Good luck on your hunt.

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 10:02:37 AM »
I would also lean toward the most rust free of them. If the 87 has an aluminum valve cover, that's another nice plus.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 10:49:39 AM »
Definitely the 87.  It's closer, costs less, 4x4 works, has upgraded carburetor...  As long as it's solid, it seems the better contender.  Undr 120K miles is nothing.  I hav 258's w/ over 240K running strong.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 02:29:53 PM »
I just learned today that the 1987 has power windows, although the rear ones are a bit sluggish. The owner also still has everything that was removed from the engine except the carburetor, and the wheels are not original. He also said I could make an offer as well. If this 1987 is a good Eagle all around, then I'm not sure if me and my dad should take the time to go see the 1984.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 03:03:53 PM »
The rear power windows are direct motor to gear drive so may only need some lubrication.  The front ones have the pesky cables that like to break and replacement cables are as rare as hen's teeth.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline OverKnight

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 05:50:26 PM »
Hi, EagleJoe's Dad chiming in...

The seller of the '84 said the 4WD doesn't work, and he thinks the vacuum motors might be the problem.  I stopped by the local NAPA, and they were unable to find a listing for these for an '84 Eagle.  Are these available?  Is there a cross-reference number for these to a Jeep?  I believe I've read where some have converted the vacuum operation of these motors to cable operation; can anyone point me towards further information about this?

Thank you.
"I shall pass through this world but once.  Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 09:49:58 PM »
Hi, EagleJoe's Dad chiming in...

The seller of the '84 said the 4WD doesn't work, and he thinks the vacuum motors might be the problem.  I stopped by the local NAPA, and they were unable to find a listing for these for an '84 Eagle.  Are these available?  Is there a cross-reference number for these to a Jeep?  I believe I've read where some have converted the vacuum operation of these motors to cable operation; can anyone point me towards further information about this?

Thank you.

I'd stay away from this 84 if I were you.
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline OverKnight

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 11:09:35 PM »
Thanks, Jay.  I think that's becoming the plan.

We just learned of an Eagle located nearby, year unknown, which has a manual transmission.  We don't know anything about its condition or even if it's for sale.  Joe would much prefer a manual over an automatic.  Hopefully we'll hear from the owner soon.  If anyone knows of a solid Eagle with a manual, please let us know.

Thank you.
"I shall pass through this world but once.  Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 09:22:46 AM »
If a manual transmission car has been parked for a while it usually means there are hydraulic clutch issues and/or terminal rust.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline philotomy

• Northeast Kingdom, VT.Eagle
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
  • AMC guy 'till the day I die
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 01:34:14 PM »
I'm leaning towards the 87,besides having a working 4wd its shift on the fly and the later ones usually had more options as standard equipment.
Philotomy,(my old  D+D Hobbit character) noun,pronounced "fil oto mee",but you can call me Don
1987 Eagle station wagon 4.2 mpfi

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 02:11:49 PM »
I'd just go for the one with the best underside.  if the 4wd isn't working it's really nothing to lock the axle motor and just convert it to shift on the fly
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline OverKnight

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 04:09:30 PM »
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Looked at the ’87 Eagle Limited today.  As with any 24 year-old car, there’s the good and the bad.  The good: the body appears sound.  The engine mechanically sounded good, with no knocking or valve clatter.  It started right up and ran fairly well, with a slightly uneven idle.  Through the oil filler, I could see a good amount of oil being pumped up to the rocker arms.  The oil itself was passably clean and didn’t smell burnt.  The tires looked good.  I didn’t do a detailed undercarriage inspection (it was raining) but nothing appeared amiss.

In the neither good nor bad category, a full set of aftermarket gauges (water temp, oil pressure, amps, vacuum, tach) are installed, plus a good stereo receiver (stock speakers, though).

The “concerns”: we weren’t able to really drive it, only back and forth in a parking lot.  The transmission fluid, antifreeze and power steering fluid were all low, with the transmission about a full quart low (it barely touched the bottom of the dipstick, less than ½”).  It’s not a big deal to replenish fluids, but my question is, why are the low?  Are they leaking, or being burnt off?  Starting off from a stop, it seemed a little sluggish; possibly being one quart low in the transmission could explain this, but it’s a concern.  When I stepped on it a little harder, it took off fine.

The current owner has de-smogged this engine, with a Ford carburetor and an aftermarket air filter and vented oil filler cap installed.  However, the PCV is incorrectly installed, with no vacuum felt through the PCV valve.  I’m sure this can be corrected, but concerned about fixing someone else’s work.  When switching to 4WD, a hiss (vacuum leak) is heard, which did not go away.  There was no way to test if the 4WD was really working.  I’m not sure how the front seats adjust; would a Limited not have power seats?  If so, the power seat adjuster was missing from the driver’s seat (I don’t know if the owner has it).  Some of the power door locks don’t work.  The front carpeting is missing.

I think our next step is to go back again with a quart of transmission fluid and see if that improves the transmission’s response.  What kind of transmission fluid do these transmissions use?  I believe the seller is open to negotiation, but sometimes even “free” can be expensive.  I might be inclined to replace the carburetor with a rebuilt stock unit, so I can use the stock air filter and get the PCV correctly reinstalled.  Regarding the 4WD switch, which is obviously leaking, is this repairable?  If not, are replacements available?  Has anyone de-smogged one of these?  It may not be legal to even ask this, but can anyone provide a guide for what should and should not be removed?  Again, I’d rather start with a whole, unmolested car, but since de-smogging was started, I just want to make this one run well and get good gas mileage.  I’m a big believer in PVC systems, so I’ll definitely reinstall that.

Thank you.
- Stephen Grellet

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 04:30:09 PM »
Hopefully, the next time you head over there, it won't be raining.

The ford carb is an upgrade - Not a bad thing.  The carter carb (I have no experience with the webers) are a pain to set up, and get right (Unless you know them really good).  The ford Motorcraft 2100 and 2150 are good carbs for that engine.   Hopefully you got one of those.  But If you're looking to only have All original parts on her, that's a different matter.

but if it was me, I'd be keeping that carb on, and get it the vacuum/pvc hoses corrected.

I'd also take a screwdriver with me, and poke around under the car a little bit.  Areas that look like they've just got undercoat might be thru the metal.  I've seen it before, and I'm not that experienced here.

check at the Rockers, front tire splash area (down from the firewall, in the wheel well - basically where the driver's/passenger's feet would go),  the leaf springs area that bolt to the frame, and have a good look around the whole underside.

as for the 4x4 there is a way to use a wrench and just shift the thing into 4x4 manually.  I can't remember how to do it -Sorry.

There are a few places that will sell you new carpet that will match the eagles.   So that's not really huge, it just sucks not having it, and having to buy it.

You are right about 'Free' can be expensive.  Free "junk" and free "just take it" can be different.  My second eagle was free "get it outta here by 4 pm tomorrow, and you can HAVE it".  We drove it 35 minutes up the highway to the garage.  That was pretty good free.  So ya never know.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 04:32:48 PM by Whuntmore »

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 05:02:34 PM »
Here's a link to the Eaglepedia, which has a good write up on how to manually shift the transfer case:
http://www.amceaglenest.com/~iowaeagl/guide/index.php?title=How_To_Manually_Shift_the_Transfer_Case
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 11:34:22 PM »
The tyranny fluid might not be low.  Did you check it while running and in 1st gear?  Not 100% sure on an Eagle, but MOSY auto trannies need to be checked while at operating temp and in gear/running.  Most will register low if shecked cold and not running.  A common mistake is adding too much fluid and ruining the tranny over time.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 50
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2011, 02:11:12 AM »
with eagles it is neutral that you check the fluid.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2011, 09:59:32 AM »
The transmissions commonly leak out of the dipstick hole, it's low enough and fluid comes out when the transmission is hot. Sluggishness like that certainly sounds like low fluid, and it uses anything that is Dextron II compatible, which is usually most off-the-shelf universal fluids. I always run it through all the shifter positions for 30 seconds, then put it in neutral (chalking the wheels and applying the e-brake) to check the fluids because fluid doesn't circulate through much of the transmission in park.

Dextron III, Dextron IV, ATF +3, and ATF +4 are all officially stated by GM or Chrysler as compatible with all their transmissions that required Dextron II prior to the newer specification being released. All that being said, most people here recommend a Dextron III spec fluid.

Low coolant can be a whole bunch of different things -- the Jetta is the only car I've ever bought used not to need a new radiator and hoses. If it's good in the radiator but low in the overflow, it could just be natural evaporation. You need to fill the system and run it to determine if there is any problem, and sometimes it can take days to show up.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline OverKnight

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2011, 08:44:47 AM »
Thanks for the replies, everyone.  I did check the transmission while running in neutral, after shifting it slowly through each gear.  It had been running for about ten minutes, mostly at idle, which certainly can't be considered fully warmed up, but it was the best I could do.  Again, there are no tags on the car, so the only driving possible is in the parking lot of the company where it's being kept.

I haven't been able to find the time to do much research on these cars.  These are questions I still have:
  • I believe a Chrysler TorqueFlight transmission (A998?) was used in Eagles, which if I recall was considered a pretty reliable unit.  Am I correct?  If needed, are the parts to rebuild these still available?  Did Chrysler really recommend Dextron (GM) transmission fluids?  Are transmission filters readily available?
  • Are AMC factory service manuals readily available?  What do they go for?
  • Any thoughts on the leaking 4WD selector?
  • Did these cars have a base/clear coat finish?  While the body looks pretty good, there are sections where it looks as though the clear coat is peeling off
  • I was surprised when there wasn't a listing for the vacuum motors for the ’84 (although with resources like this site, I know there are options).  What about things like brakes, starters, water pumps, alternators, ignition components, exhaust systems, etc?  This car will be a daily driver, so the ability to replace or rebuild these relatively quickly (and not at an exorbitant cost) is important.
  • Are many reproduction parts made for Eagles?
  • BenM, besides increased cooling, strength and appearance, why is the aluminum valve cover a plus?  The ’87 does have one; does this represent an upgraded engine?
  • When I go back to look at the ’87 again, I'll bring a floor jack and jack stands so I can more carefully inspect the undercarriage.  While it's up on the stands, is there a safe method of checking to see if the 4WD system works?
  • The air conditioning system reportedly leaks.  Are rebuilt compressors available?  Are other AC components (condenser, receiver, etc.) available?

Thank you very much; I sincerely appreciate the sharing of everyones knowledge and expertise with Joe and I.
- Stephen Grellet

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2011, 10:17:25 AM »
I can answer some of these:

The Aluminum valve cover is a plus, 'cause the plastic ones leak like strainers,

We have Some service manuals in pdf,  (there isn't any cost directly to these manuals but I think you need to become a Premium member (small fee) so you can see the downloads section.

I just re-did my brakes, and all the parts (cylinders, pads, drums, and the spring kit, etc) was surprisingly cheap,

Ignition components can be upgraded (coil, HEI, plugs, wires, dist cap, starter block, etc) no problem.  I just did that also.

In quite a few cases, parts are Ford, or directly/slightly different (but fit) jeep parts.    It's things like body panels, trim, headlight buckets, interior, and similar items that you can't Just walk in and buy at Auto Zone. 

Then there's a few parts that are upgrades, and need slight modding (and I mean very slight)

I think I know what you're going thru.  This is my first eagle, and before I got it, I was thinking: what in the bloody heck am I getting myself into?!?  The car has been outta production for over 20 years, Chrysler dumped everything except for the Jeep part, and where the heck am I gonna get parts for this thing?!?

It freaked me out a bit also.

I would recommend - as a starting point - having the better body, then driving a rust bucket.

Offline OverKnight

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2011, 10:40:39 AM »
Thank you, Whuntmore.  I just did an eBay search for AMC Eagle manuals, and they're definitely available; I should have done this before posting.  But if they're available here for the cost of becoming an Eagle's Nest  Premium member, I'd rather send my money here.

I absolutely agree with staying away from rust buckets.  Mechanical repair is almost always less expensive and easier that rust repair.

Thanks again.
- Stephen Grellet

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2011, 12:05:57 PM »
the service manual sold through the nest store is really the one to get .... chilton and haynes manuals are better as beer coasters than helping you with your eagle
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline OverKnight

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2011, 05:46:55 PM »
Thanks, RevBill.  The one in the store is for an '82; wouldn't this be missing a lot of data relevant to an '87?  The original factory manuals for the '87 on eBay run about $70.00.
- Stephen Grellet

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2011, 09:59:04 PM »
It's a transmission sourced from Chrysler like you said. It's a 998, and parts to rebuild them are inexpensive and plentiful. The 904/998/999 are usually the same kit, and the only real difference on the AMC version is the bellhousing.

AC parts are readily available, but maybe slightly more expensive then other vehicles. There's not many reproduction parts, but there are a lot of parts in common with other AMC cars and with Jeeps, so there are only a small amount of truly hard-to-find parts.

The 4wd is just a bad vacuum hose somewhere I would bet. You just have to track it down. The vacuum motors, though, are one of those items that are hard to find and expensive. Mostly because the Jeep guys get rid of them right away. The stop-and-shift cars use two, and the select-shift cars use one. If you know some Jeep off-roaders they'll almost give them away.

Even the windshields are easy to come by, almost any place can get you a replacement.
NSS#47184

Offline OverKnight

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2011, 11:20:03 PM »
Thanks, Ben.  The Jeep vacuum motor the NAPA dealer had went for about $130.00.  In this car, I think there's a vacuum leak either in the dash switch or in the vacuum hoses leading to it.  I'm guessing that until I fix this, it will be difficult to check if the 4WD is operating correctly.

Thanks again.
- Stephen Grellet

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2011, 02:15:26 AM »
All I can tell ya is just stay away from the ones that have the frame rail delete option....The floor board delete option also seems to be popular on alot of models,  especially on the 1980-88's 

;D...best of luck and welcome!!!.

Shane
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2011, 12:43:29 PM »
Yeah, you don't want to try to keep it in 4wd with the vacuum leak going, it's hard on the engine, plus if it partially shifts it could bounce out of gear and into "neutral".

If you can hear it from near the switch it's likely not the motor. They were on the transfer case and front axle, and you don't often hear vacuum noises except when it's drawing through an opening. It doesn't take much to dampen that sound. I would just pull the switch out and have a look to see everything is solidly attached to the back of it.
NSS#47184

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2011, 10:58:39 PM »
The air lines to the 4x4 are thin hard plastic ones much like the kind used on semi trucks...just down sized. Ive never actually had any trouble with the hoses it was at the the little rubber junctions or at the rubber connectors at the vaccum motors or switch.

this junction here is completely dry rotted, hard to tell with all the caked on oil..

Here is that vaccum motor on the front axle. another place where my rubber connectors had dry rotted and prevented 4x4 engagement.

These bad connectors are an easy fix...but very troublesome if not repaired.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline OverKnight

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2011, 08:51:06 AM »
Thank you, Shanebo, especially for the pictures; very helpful.  I'm assuming these plastic lines and rubber connectors are fused together, i.e., you can't get just the rubber connector; am I correct?  Are these (the plastic lines and/or rubber connectors) available?

Thanks again.
- Stephen Grellet

Offline OverKnight

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2011, 11:03:33 PM »
Joe and I looked at the '87 Eagle again today, and here's the update:
The Good:
•   No rust was found on the frame or undercarriage.
•   Transmission feels better after adding one quart (although it’s still maybe ½ pint low).
•   Will spin both rear tires on gravel; this tell me it’s got a posi-traction rear axle that works, and that the transmission and torque converter are probably okay.

The Bad:
•   4WD definitely doesn’t work at this time; the front wheels didn’t spin on gravel.
•   Right-front outer CV boot is torn.
•   Right mirror is cracked and remote adjusted doesn’t work.
•   Parking brake is frozen.
•   Rear windshield wiper doesn’t work.
•   Right front door power lock doesn’t work.
•   Water leaks into interior; it appears to be from the wiper motor panel.
•   It's got a dual exhaust system.  I've never heard of this on a straight six; is this stock?
•   Marginal quality repaint.  I didn't see any signs of collision damage or body fillers, but there's a lot of orange peel.

So, I think this car has a relatively solid body, chassis, engine and drivetrain, with a lot of relatively minor but annoying, labor-intensive things to fix.  Joe and I need to decide if this is something we want to tackle, and if so, decide what kind of offer to make.
- Stephen Grellet

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2011, 11:18:53 PM »
Joe and I looked at the '87 Eagle again today, and here's the update:
The Good:
•   No rust was found on the frame or undercarriage.
•   Transmission feels better after adding one quart (although it’s still maybe ½ pint low).
•   Will spin both rear tires on gravel; this tell me it’s got a posi-traction rear axle that works, and that the transmission and torque converter are probably okay.

That's great to hear.

The Bad:
•   4WD definitely doesn’t work at this time; the front wheels didn’t spin on gravel.
•   Right-front outer CV boot is torn.
•   Right mirror is cracked and remote adjusted doesn’t work.
•   Parking brake is frozen.
•   Rear windshield wiper doesn’t work.
•   Right front door power lock doesn’t work.
•   Water leaks into interior; it appears to be from the wiper motor panel.
•   It's got a dual exhaust system.  I've never heard of this on a straight six; is this stock?
•   Marginal quality repaint.  I didn't see any signs of collision damage or body fillers, but there's a lot of orange peel

•   4WD not working is a pain.  could be a few things - Minor to serious
•   CV can be bought.  Not hard to take off and replace.  
•   I've seen alot of mirror adjusters not working.  
•   Parking brake frozen is a problem.  IIRC, you can't just buy them new off the shelf.
•   Rear windshield wiper is easy to fix/replace/or rewire.
•   Powerlocks failing could be as simple as the wires that go to the locks are cracked.
•   Water leaking isn't good.  Could be windshield 'caulking' could be cracking, or other seals in that area.  Either way, that could lead to rust in interesting places.
•   Some have put a dual exhaust on their Eagles.  That's cool.
•   At least they tried to repaint it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 11:28:50 PM by Whuntmore »

Offline amc78concord

• If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk.
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 81
  • Second Place is the First Loser!
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2011, 11:30:47 PM »
It's got a dual exhaust system.  I've never heard of this on a straight six; is this stock?
Definitely not stock... Is it run all of the way from the front to the back? If it is, then there is an aftermarket header on the car that permits dual exhaust. (Very very expensive) Or is it a y-pipe or dual outlet muffler?  

I've been wanting to do this to my Eagle...It's not cheap...at all! Just to have one more pipe put in and a dual outlet muffler would cost me $350.  Someone spent some money to try and get the Eagle looking cool...
-Rob
Nekoosa, WI
-82 Eagle Limited Wagon (4.0 Head Swap, Holley 4bbl Carb, Headers, MSD Ignition with Team Rush Upgrade)
-82 Eagle SX/4
-83 Eagle Limited Wagon "Woody"
-84 Eagle Wagon
-85 Eagle Wagon
-Many Others... :amc:

:duck:

Click for Nekoosa, Wisconsin Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2011, 11:37:27 AM »
A posi rear would be an odd thing indeed. If you got that one I would open up the back axle just to check what was installed.
NSS#47184

Offline Mechanic

• "This is gona be expensive....."
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 53
  • Which project to start first....
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2011, 04:21:49 PM »
Hello, sorry I'm late. Just skimmed the whole thread and I'll put in my two cents.

First, no eagles ever came with a posi rear diff, all eagles are open rear diff's. So, the previous owner either installed something aftermarket or possibly even a whole new diff out of a jeep. Or, on the worse side, there might be some seriously rusted/mangled rear end parts. I've seen it happen once or twice when someone goes 4X4 ing and gets water in the diffs and then let's the car sit. Doing so rusts the Carrier solid. But I've only seen that once or twice and only on cars that have been sitting for years.

Still, if I were you I would pop off the filler plug and see what the fluid looks like, just to be safe.

The dual exhaust is also interesting to me, as there are no dual exhaust aftermarket kits available for the eagle, and nothing stock either. Whatever is under there is completely custome and obviously quite expensive if the previous owner didn't do it himself. Be wary of that as well.

As for the parking brake, you are correct. You cannot buy a new cable for the eagles. That said however. Almost all of my eagles have had seized e-brake cable's and I've reconditioned them all. It just takes time, patience, a lot of WD-40 and sometimes, some good ol fashion FIRE!  >:D

And as for the water leakage. Not good mate. There was one eagle(whuntmore can chime in on this) that belongs to a member on here that had a similar leakage problem, now I can't remember if this one your talking about now is the one without carpets or not, but long and the short of it, hiding under the carpet were no one could see it, the whole floor pan was rusted out completely. So be wary.

Now, the 4X4 system. I have fought for HOURS on numerous different eagles trying to get the stupid vacuum operated 4X4 to work. To be honest, it a very simple system. If it's shift on the fly(no tab to pull down to engage 4X4) there is only one vacuum operated actuator to control the transfer case. To engage manually, remove the transfer case skid plate (9/16's bolts) and use a 9/16 wrench(I think, it's been a while) on the nut holding the lever and push it towards the front of the car, you might have to have people rocking the car while you do this until you feel it engage. For a stop and shift it's a bit more complicated. For those there are two vacuum operated actuators, one in the same exact place on the transfer case, working in the same way. And another on the front differential(if you want i can into the specifics of why and such, but for now). The actuator on the front Axel engages and disengages the front Axles. So, even if the transfer case is engaged you won't get any power to the front wheels. Although you should also notice, if that's the case, that you have a lack of responsiveness and that the speedo will jump slightly before you take off due to there being more power going to the front shaft, hence it spinning faster than the rear.

If you have an understanding of were some of the vacuum lines go, what pull vacuum and what requires vacuum. It is not an overly big job to re-rig your actuator system to be less tied up with the rest of your vehicle vacuum system and hence work better.

And Finlay, I'm assuming you've already done this but take a close look under all of the plastic skirts around the fenders and covering the rockers for rust. About two years ago i bought a beautiful SX/4 for a not bad price. Not a hint of rust anywhere under the car or anywhere else. It wasn't until a week or so later, when i had it up on a hoist and poking around with a screw driver that i found both rocker panels were completely gone. Rusted clean through. After i was done with the screw driver, had the carpet not been there I would have been able to fit my arm through the hole all the way up to my shoulder. It took weeks of very extensive surgery to get the car to pass safety. Just consider yourself warned.

Sorry about the long post.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 04:24:11 PM by Mechanic »
2000 Toyota 4runner 221,000 k's (DD)
1997 Chevy S10 180,000 k's (Project car)
1988 Mazda RX-7 248,000 k's (For Sale)
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon 192,000 k's (Project car)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 65,000 k's (Restoration Project)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 140,000 k's (Trail build)
1981 Chevy Camaro Burlineta 134,000 K's (Performance build)
1977 Ford F350 Dually with dump (farm truck project)

Offline OverKnight

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2011, 10:48:18 PM »
Sorry for the long post???  Mechanic, I thank you for the long post!  And my sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed!

The exhaust system has a Y-pipe right after the catalytic converter which then goes to separate mufflers and tailpipes exiting out the rear, right under the rear bumper.  I listed this in "The Bad" section because replacement is much more expensive, even more so now that I'm learning this is apparently a custom system.  I admit it does look pretty cool; I don't know if it sounds more impressive than a regular exhaust system since I've never really heard one.  Straight sixes can sound hot; I have a friend with the 235 Stovebolt six in his '57 Chevy with with glasspacks; it's not too loud, but it's got a nice rasp to it.

I should have used the term "limited-slip differential" instead of "posi-traction", which I believe is a GM trademark.  In my experience, cars without a limited-slip differential will spin only one wheel when traction is marginal; this Eagle spun both wheels equally, and did this three times.  Was some form of limited slip not available on Eagles?  This one seems to have it, unless the rear axle isn't stock, or has a rusted-up carrier, as Mechanic suggested.  If it’s not a stock rear axle, or if the pumpkin was swapped out, are the front and rear gear ratios identical?  If not, that’s a fast way to destroy the transfer case.  I’m kicking myself for not pulling the differential plug while I was under there.  Are there any identifying numbers on Eagle rear axles I can look for?

I agree, water leaking into a car is really bad.  However, I'm pretty sure the water is coming in through the windshield wiper motor mounting plate; I could see a gap between the firewall and this plate.  A little straightening of this plate, some cork gasket or foam weatherstrip and replacing the missing screws should fix this.  The body looks sound all around the windshield; I don't think it's leaking from there.

If we do purchase this car, I know I have a lot of homework to do regarding the vacuum system, because the PCV and 4WD systems, both vacuum-driven, don’t work.  By the way, there is a vacuum gauge installed, but it's installed onto a switched vacuum source, not manifold vacuum, because there's zero vacuum at idle; I don't understand the rationale of installing it in this manner.

The right CV boot is just another thing to be added to the list (plus the ~$130.00 for the part itself).  I'd replace the entire assembly; there was no grease in or around the boot (or in the vicinity), suggesting to me that this boot has been torn for a while.  My understanding is if you find a torn boot early, before it's torn too much and before all of the grease has been flung out, you may be able to get by with a replacement boot.  This doesn't appear to be the case here.

I'm not sure which section of the parking brake cable is stuck.  We'll need to remove all three sections and soak them with penetrating oil; hopefully they can be restored.

I did poke around fairly extensively under the car with a screwdriver, including under the plastic rocker panel.  I couldn’t find any holes, or even any “soft” spots.  There are DynaMats installed over the entire floor, front and rear, so it’s difficult to inspect the interior floors without pulling it up (which would likely ruin it).  But from underneath, everything felt solid.

To be continued; to be honest, Joe and I are beginning to think that this might be another Eagle we'll pass on.  Again, thank you very much for everyone’s time and expertise.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 10:52:44 PM by OverKnight »
- Stephen Grellet

Offline Mechanic

• "This is gona be expensive....."
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 53
  • Which project to start first....
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2011, 11:13:21 PM »
No posi or limited slip diffs were ever offered in the eagle from the factory, no. Whatever's in there, assuming it's supposed to do what it's doing, is aftermarket or off another vehicle. Or broken lol

Guess another way to tell would be to turn very shap on pavement and see if it chirps the inner tire, that would give an idea one way or another.
2000 Toyota 4runner 221,000 k's (DD)
1997 Chevy S10 180,000 k's (Project car)
1988 Mazda RX-7 248,000 k's (For Sale)
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon 192,000 k's (Project car)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 65,000 k's (Restoration Project)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 140,000 k's (Trail build)
1981 Chevy Camaro Burlineta 134,000 K's (Performance build)
1977 Ford F350 Dually with dump (farm truck project)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2011, 09:03:32 AM »
Yup, when we started grinding at the 'dog leg', we knew we were gonna have to move the carpet away so it won't catch on fire during the welding process.  So as we moved the carpet, it was just all rot.

Here check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyS18HHLY5A

Looked ok from the outside, but once we disturbed it, it had fallen away.  Basically everything under the driver's feet was gone.  It's not the best welding job - Considering we didn't have one sheet of metal for the whole area, but I can tell you, it's solid.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 09:05:50 AM by Whuntmore »

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2011, 06:16:21 AM »
If the rear axle was changed out to a posi unit, then do the ratios match up to the front axle.  If not, then you may not want to engage the 4WD mode.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline OverKnight

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2011, 01:07:19 PM »
Hi, Everyone.

Thanks again for all of the help and information; you have a great site here, thanks mostly to everyone willing to give so freely of their time and expertise.

With Joe's graduation from high school fast approaching (with the concomitant parties and a gazillion people over), She Who Must Be Obeyed has issued Her List of What Must Get Done around the house.  I haven't spoken with the seller since last week.  If the car is still available after the pomp and circumstance are over, we'll give it another look.

Again, many thanks.
- Stephen Grellet

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2011, 08:43:39 PM »
A happy wife means a happy life.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline OverKnight

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2012, 09:31:52 PM »
Well, Joe finally got his Eagle!

We picked up a 1986 Eagle Limited this past Friday.  It's got about 87,000 miles on it, and the body is quite solid and straight.  The main issues needing repair are:
1)   Exhaust System: The previous owner cut the catalytic converter out, so we had to jury-rig a connector pipe to get the car home.  We'll need to get a new converter, plus the downstream air tube, and then get everything correctly connected.
2)   Carburation: The previous owner claims to have rebuilt the car, but admits he may have not connected all of the vacuum lines correctly.  It runs okay at speed, but doesn't idle well at all.
3)   Brakes: They didn't feel great when we test-drove it, but they're worse than we thought.  There's plenty of lining left on the pads and shoes.  Possibly the power brake booster isn't getting sufficient vacuum.  A thorough flushing of the old brake fluid and careful bleeding may be all that's needed, but I think we'll probably rebuild the wheel cylinder and calipers, and maybe the master cylinder, and replace the rubber brake lines.
4)   Crankcase Pan: I don't know how I missed it, but someone missed the front crossmember with the floor jack and tried jacking on the crankcase pan, so I need to remove this and either try to hammer it back into shape or find a replacement.  Can the pan be removed without pulling the engine?
5)   Headliner: it's intact, but has become unglued from the board (or whatever it was glued to).  We'll need to remove this and re-glue it.
6)   Headlights: I've already posted a question about this in the electrical section, but I'll repeat it here; when the headlights are turned on, just the right headlight comes on, but when the high beams are turned on, all four bulbs come on.  My thought is that there's a problem with the high beam switch, but before we start tearing things apart, I'll solicit advice on where to start.

Thanks very much.
- Stephen Grellet

Offline HappyPappy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2012, 03:38:28 PM »
  I can give you some insite on the vacuum, just need one line from the manifold to the dist, unless you need it all hooked up for emissions,

Exhaust, NAPA use to carry a universal with the air port and they have a kit, rubber of some kind to hook the air tube up. It does not have the flange on it, may have to make one.

Brakes, flush the system  and bleed everything real good. I'm not sure but a power booster from a Cherokee may fit, or get a rebuilt or have that one rebuilt. Rock Auto may have them.

Crankcase pan, have to remove the front rear, easier the pulling the motor. You should be able to hammer it out. HINT, change the oil pump while you have the pan off. HINT #2, use the Fel Pro gasket, the $40.00  one. Get some 1/4 inch bolts, cut the head off, install the gasket, hold it up with some small "c" clips, tie a piece of fishing line to the clips, then once you have the pan in place pull the clips out and remove the studs, been there done that, works real well. May want to change the rear main seal too.  I used a high volume pump on mine. there are pro's and con's on that, but I would change the pump.

Headlights, probably the low beam is burned out, pull it out and see if it is getting current

Offline OverKnight

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2012, 11:32:23 PM »
Thanks, Pappy.  If a car is registered and insured as a driver in New Jersey (not as historic or classic), I'm pretty sure it will require emissions testing, so we plan on repairing/refurbishing most or all of the emissions controls.

Places like Advance Auto carry catalytic converters that they claim will fit.  I suspect anything I get that's not from a Mopar dealer is going to be a generic/universal fit item; I don't even know if Mopar can still supply the exact replacement, and even if they did, I don't think I'd want to know their price.

The entire brake system absolutely needs to be thoroughly flushed, and the rubber flex hoses replaced.  Although there's plenty of lining on the pads and shoes, the pads are "crumbling" around the edges, and the shoes all have longitudinal cracks on them, so we'll replace these.  Although I didn't see any leakage from the calipers or cylinders, I was struck by how much rust was still on the rotors and drums after the 86-mile drive to get the car back up here, so as long as the pistons and bores aren't badly corroded, I'm planning on rebuilding them (I have a few cylinder/caliper hones) to both save some cash and teach Joe how to do this.

I really don't know how I missed the crankcase pan, because it's pretty badly pushed in.  However, the oil pressure is fine.  I'm not clear on you instructions, Pappy: "have to remove the front rear,...".  Could you elaborate?  The last thing I want to do I yank the engine out  :o.  Regarding the oil pump, the least I would do is to mike everything up and make sure everything is flat and has proper clearances.  I've already been through this with the pump in the stovebolt-6 in my '57 Chevy.  Advance Auto has a Melling pump for $70; if we can avoid this cost, we will.

We'll check out the bulbs, sockets and voltages for the headlights this weekend,

Thanks again.
- Stephen Grellet

Offline HappyPappy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2012, 10:19:05 AM »
  The front rear is bolted to the engine. It's not hard at all to remove, just remember to unhook the rubber vent line before you let it down to far. With Joe helping you it won't be hard at all.  You have to unbolt each axle from it, allen bolts, tie them off so they don't hang freely.  There are too bolts that you have to take out from the top left side and two from under side and one near the far right side of the rear housing. When you reinstall it, make sure you put all the spacers, if any, back where they were, (on the far right bolt). I had the one in my Eagle out twice, by myself. It's not hard but a helper makes it much nicer. It's not heavy, just clumsily to get back up there. Start all the bolts before you tighten any of them, that will give you some wiggle room to get them started. The main thing is to be sure there is no binding on that right bolt. It will put a strain on the housing and inters. Also would be a great time to change te lube in the rear, almost impossible to do once it's back in.  You may have to jack the motor up a little to get the pan off. I would do that on the balance pulley unless you have a hoist, then lift it from the top

They also sell rebuild kits for the stock pump. If the one you have is aluminum, I'd replace it with a cast iron one, just my thought.

There is a vacuum hose diagram on here, but from experience I know what the difference is with them all off, or you can plug them with wood dowels, push them in far enough to get the hoses back on, that way their there.

I just looked up the cat and that kit you'll need on the NAPA site, part # EXH 15031- $96.90, Air tube kit- 35574, no price on that, glad you don't need a Cal cat, $172.40,   :censored:  They seem to have the whole exhaust system in stock, must have wised up. I had to make most of mine.

You may won't to check NAPA for what they call "loaded calibers", they have everything to replace what you have, cal, pads, and hardware, sometimes cheaper to got that way then buy everything separately.  I drove my Eagle for three years and all the rust never came off the rotors, but then it sat for ten years too!!

Good luck with the car. hope all works out for you.  Just a note, A lot  of Jeep Cherokee stuff fits the Eagles, but don't put their Bendix ABS brake system on it (88-91)

Offline OverKnight

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2012, 04:36:43 PM »
Thanks, Pappy.  We've actually taken it of the road until we can get all of this fixed; no sense in paying 18 year-old insurance rates for the next month or so when it can't be driven.  We'll try to get under there the first warm weekend day to start work on getting the pan out.  Then the exhaust, then the brakes...
- Stephen Grellet

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk