News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 03, 2024, 10:58:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Automatic Transmission Fluid  (Read 1370 times)

Offline Turbotim2

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Automatic Transmission Fluid
« on: July 21, 2020, 09:57:07 AM »
Which ATF is spec for an 85 Eagle?

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 01:08:21 PM »
Dexron II (data from various AMC manuals).
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 01:15:16 PM »
DEXRON II for automatic transmission and the transfercase
replaced by DEXRON III which was backwards compatible for the transmission, but for some reason not for the transfercase
Since it is no longer made and no longer made under licence...

The good news is that the newer fluids have a lot more science into what goes into them, for performance, longevity and protection.

The garage that rebuilt my 258 consulted with their supplier and decided upon Mopar ATF+4 (Chrysler) for my '86 (guessing: likely because the TorqueFlite is made by Chrysler), and it works fine.

Carguy87 liked the ATF+3 or ATF+4 for improved shifting
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=39085.0

Search amceaglesden to see what other's experience has been with what they've substituted the Dexron II with.

Trickier is what to use for the transfercase.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 11:45:39 PM by Canoe »

Offline Turbotim2

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 05:25:44 PM »
Ok, thanks. 

Offline Turbotim2

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 06:47:50 AM »
When I look up ATF for the Eagle on auto parts stores and websites, this is what usually comes up first:

https://www.valvoline.com/en-thailand/our-products/automatic-transmission-oil/maxlife-atf

My experience with putting synthetic fluids in any older piece of equipment usually results in failure.  Is ATF+4 synthetic? 

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 03:12:53 PM »
I see the claim that ATF+4 is specified to be a full synthetic oil. I do not know if that is true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mopar_Automatic_Transmission_Fluid#1998_-_ATF+4_type_MS-9602_fluid

The ATF+4 fluid is composed of a Texaco produced Extra High Viscosity Index (XHVI) Group 3 base oil plus an additive package developed by Lubrizol[9]. This fluid outperforms and outlasts the previous ATF+3 fluid Material Standard and was first used in some Chrysler mini-van transmissions in November of 1999. This fluid is considered a "Fill for Life" fluid by Chrysler. Do not confuse this fluid with Toyota's Type T-IV, they are not interchangeable.

The ATF+4 Type MS-9602 Fluid Material Standard was revised in 2003 (MS-6902 Change C) for the newly developed 6-speed transmissions. This fluid is compatible with the previous ATF+, ATF+2, and ATF+3 fluids, but not compatible with Dexron fluids. This was Chrysler's first "Lifetime" fluid with no fluid or filter changes required under "Normal" driving conditions.
Not compatible means do not mix them together. Do not top off a Dexron with ATF+4.

I'd suggest you search eaglesden to get peoples feedback on their experiences with what they used.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk