News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 22, 2024, 11:53:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1983 AMC Eagle SX4  (Read 10463 times)

Offline Eagle SX4 Limited

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
1983 AMC Eagle SX4
« on: January 13, 2017, 09:54:27 PM »
Hi: I am new here and really suck at computer stuff. I have a 1983 Amc Eagle SX4 Limited A/T 6 cyl with 62K on her. I bought it from an older couple in OH. The car has been a nightmare since arriving at my place in MN. They told me it was never driven in the winter time and it drove great and ran great 4X4 works perfect(everything I wanted to hear). Well it arrived and I could not get it to keep running long enough to get it off the truck! The fuel gauge did not work. I looked underneath and the front left framerail was almost gone(rusted completely out). So the first thing I did was replace that frame rail completely. Then I bought a gronk kit and got rid of all the emissions stuff(kept it all in case I ever sell). Pulled out the tank and checked the sender,which does not work(good luck finding a replacement!) I then had to replace all the vacuum lines and clean out the vacuum valves to get the 4X4 to work. I am now having problems with the car stalling when shifting into second gear on the automatic tranny. I am going to replace the distributor next to see if that is it. Wish me luck. I really like this car but I am ready to give up here shortly!!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 09:48:15 AM by mudkicker715 »

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
Re: Re: advice from a newb , to all the other newbs
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 02:59:46 PM »
Don't give up on it!!

Interesting decals! Have never seen those before.
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 08:51:27 AM »
I have seen one other. it is a limited edition and came from the factory with the decals. I found a few websites that mentioned this package.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 11:43:07 PM »
The car can be a right blistered :censored: when it's having problems, but when it works right it's magnificent.

There's a lot of knowledge here, and don't neglect Jeep sites, they share the same engine and other parts. The fuel sender can be bought as well, so don't fret too much.

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 12:26:12 PM »
I didn't think the sender could be bought anymore...do you have a part # or website which sells it?

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 01:27:58 PM »
I didn't think the sender could be bought anymore...do you have a part # or website which sells it?

That was my understanding also, that the senders for the SX/4 and Kammback were no longer available.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 09:39:46 PM »
I found a used one at the junkyard(on it's way to me) I have one more mechanic that is going to stop by my place and see if he can figure out what is wrong with the Eagle. i love the car and have been fixing everything on it,but if this guy can not get it to run correctly(I am going to put her up for sale)my hemi magnum wagon is not a good winter car.

Offline LogicCore

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 04:11:32 AM »
Hi: I am new here and really suck at computer stuff. I have a 1983 Amc Eagle SX4 Limited A/T 6 cyl with 62K on her. I bought it from an older couple in OH. The car has been a nightmare since arriving at my place in MN. They told me it was never driven in the winter time and it drove great and ran great 4X4 works perfect(everything I wanted to hear). Well it arrived and I could not get it to keep running long enough to get it off the truck! The fuel gauge did not work. I looked underneath and the front left framerail was almost gone(rusted completely out). So the first thing I did was replace that frame rail completely. Then I bought a gronk kit and got rid of all the emissions stuff(kept it all in case I ever sell). Pulled out the tank and checked the sender,which does not work(good luck finding a replacement!) I then had to replace all the vacuum lines and clean out the vacuum valves to get the 4X4 to work. I am now having problems with the car stalling when shifting into second gear on the automatic tranny. I am going to replace the distributor next to see if that is it. Wish me luck. I really like this car but I am ready to give up here shortly!!

Hey, I hope that Sender is what did the trick. She's way too pretty to give up on her.
Where about in MN are you? I'm in Roseville myself... Might have to arrange an Eagle Meet Up some weekend so I can drool over your Sx4 and you can laugh at my '80 LS 4-Door (She still needs a lot of love, but runs great!)

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 09:54:43 AM »
Hi: I am in Anoka MN. I am giving my Mechanic one more try to get this car to run right and then I have no choice but to give up on her. I need a small 4X4 that can pull my snowmobile trailer,like I said my Hemi Magnum gets stuck in two inches of snow. unfortuneately I will have to sell eagle to be able to buy something else.

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 03:23:23 PM »
Sure hope it works out man! Do you have a hitch on the SX/4?

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 08:04:36 PM »
Yes it does now. I cut up a 1 1/4 receiver from a Ford ranger and welded it to the frame(looks factory) and picked up a set of these wheels for it also.

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 08:25:13 PM »
I have an update: The Eagle is up and running great now. the timing was off and the float level needed to be adjusted. I still have decided to sell her though,so keep an eye out on ebay.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Re: 1983 AMC Eagle SX4
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 02:38:25 PM »
We've seen it. What's your reserve on it?

And you may have gotten more playing it for sale here and on the Facebook site

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
Re: 1983 AMC Eagle SX4
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 08:37:25 PM »
I do have it listed on the eagles den,but received only a few inquiries and even received offers that were never followed up on.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk