News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 20, 2024, 02:54:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Symptoms/testing bad stepper motor?  (Read 1950 times)

Offline westin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Symptoms/testing bad stepper motor?
« on: January 22, 2016, 08:15:00 PM »
Hi, I had a quick question I was hoping someone could help me with. I just got finished rebuilding my first carburetor (carter bbd) today!..a few rough spots but overall not as intimidating as I initially thought.. I just hope it works when I hook it up tomorrow!! I was just curious if there is a way to tell if the stepper motor has gone bad. The manual didn't seem to touch on it very much and just said to put it back in but if I am going to the effort of rebuilding this I wanted to make sure everything is in working order. I noticed it had some pretty heavy carbon build up and it doesn't seem to want to move (not really sure if it is even suppose to lol) Is there any way to test this component of the Carter BBD carburetor?

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
Re: Symptoms/testing bad stepper motor?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 11:22:59 PM »
There is.  If you google Jeep Adventures under the hood and then go to the stepper motor link he'll show you the sequence to apply power to test it.  It should move in and out without forcing it.

Basically, when the car is started, the motor should move the pins all the way into the carb and then back them out to their halfway position.  This is called the initialization step.  It's in the TSM.  If it does that you should be set.  If you still had issues I would look to the o2 sensor or wiring.  During warmup the pins should stay still at a preset place.  Once warm, the computer goes closed loop and the pins will cycle in and out based on the signal from the o2 sensor.  There are a few temp sensors that need to work (one in front side of intake and one in air cleaner) to tell the computer to enter closed loop.  That under the hood site explains all of this.  However I have to actually crank my Eagle to get it to initialize.  On jeeps you can turn the key to run to see it.  It happens quick so have someone else start it while you watch the stepper pins.  On later Eagles like after 83-84, the distributor needs to generate a tach signal at cranking RPMs for the computer to wake up.

Hope that helps!
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline westin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 11:40:11 PM »
Thank you dude Mac! You have been a great help! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! I will let you all know how it starts up tomorrow...I was having awful problems before. Rough idle, stalling, etc. It even died going up a steep mountain road covered in ice!! I hope this fixes it!!

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 03:32:53 PM »
You bet!  If it's shot you can get a new one for about $35.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk