News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 04, 2024, 12:39:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stock Radio Swap?  (Read 3319 times)

Offline sonnyr1985

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Stock Radio Swap?
« on: June 29, 2015, 03:55:18 PM »
I'm new here, and hope this is the right place to ask this.  I'm looking at an 85 Eagle wagon (my 4th Eagle), with power everything, gauge pack, tach in the gauge cluster, etc.  However, it has the manual tuning push button stock AM/FM radio in it, but I just happen to have a stock AM/FM/Cassette ETR DNR radio out of another 85 Eagle laying around in my garage.  Are the connections there in the Eagle with the basic radio to just "plug and play" the ETR radio, or will major/minor wiring be required?  I know towards the end of AMC they kind of did some strange stuff, like my old 86 Eagle wagon had an intermittent delay motor but a 2 speed switch. 

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!! 

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
Re: Stock Radio Swap?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 04:37:37 PM »
It SHOULD be pretty direct, but I've seen changes before.  The only way to tell is to remove the current stereo and have a look.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 08:52:59 AM »
It SHOULD be pretty direct, but I've seen changes before.  The only way to tell is to remove the current stereo and have a look.

I agree.  Most of the basic wiring is the same, but they used a variety of connectors.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 09:44:55 AM »
my 2 '85s had the same connectors and the radios would swap . My '84 had a completely different connector.
Also welcome to the site .
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 06:53:30 PM »
I'm thinking about swapping the Alpine AM/FM/Cassette I have in mine. Tons of connectors on it and I saved the tiny ZJ high tone speakers to go in the dash.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk