News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 07, 2024, 02:35:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Coil Springs  (Read 12827 times)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Coil Springs
« on: April 25, 2015, 09:20:35 PM »
I'm going to replace my coil springs so I don't feel like the front of my car is going to collapse when I hit a pothole.

What springs have you all used? I'd be looking for something a bit beefier than stock, maybe something that gives a 1-2" lift. I read something about v8 springs from NAPA, and people get them from ESPO as well. I'm in Canada so I have to keep that in mind when ordering so I don't get pillaged and raped by shipping costs.

So...what springs have you used (model #, etc), and how do you like them?

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Re: Coil Springs
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 08:36:10 AM »
Yeah but I'm lazy. :P

I've went through them all but never found what I was looking for.

The posts out there all talk about what springs they are looking at,but nobody posts their experience with said springs after they've had them for a while.

More or less looking for a long term review and which springs were purchased. Businesses post their spring rates, etc but half of them sell junk that is cheaply made and ends up giving up the ghost after a bit of use.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 05:32:34 PM »
My front springs are Napa NCP 277-3188. The ride is stiff but not harsh. Cruises the pothole filled highways here in the PNW quite nicely.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 08:21:43 PM »
Lol we have bad pot holes here too. I hit a few and though I was going to lose the front end of my car.

might look into those. I want a bit of a lift from stock and after a few years they will soften up as all springs do.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 01:03:15 PM »
Can't seem to find many spring dealers in Canada, and shipping into Canada costs a buttload.

Anyone from Canada know of a spring model that will fit the Eagle and give a bit of a lift?

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 02:03:39 PM »
No NAPAs where you are? For the rear, adding a leaf works well or wagons are close to Jeep XJ springs.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 04:21:56 PM »
The rear is OK, I just want new coils from the front.

When I called NAPA he found the part in his system but claimed there were none in Canada. These guys never seem to have any part for any vehicle I have ever called for.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 09:51:40 PM »
Did you give him the number I posted? The stock Eagle ones aren't available down here anymore either.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 11:07:14 AM »
Yep, I gave him that number for the v8 Matador, even searched the NAPA site and found them (Canadian version). No go

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 09:20:19 PM »
test upload spring specs.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 10:51:42 AM »
I'll have to look around for a Canadian spring supplier. Shipping to Canada turns a decent priced set of springs into a pocketbook nightmare.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 11:20:14 AM »
I looked up a set of springs on amazon.ca and it said it shipped from a Canadian warehouse. The springs are $110 and shipping is $186!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  http://www.amazon.ca/Moog-3156-Constant-Spring-Automotive/dp/B000C59U2M/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1430925552&sr=1-1&keywords=moog+3156
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 01:12:15 PM »
Now you see the plight of my people
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 01:14:28 PM by Nightpath »

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 07:22:09 PM »
Did you try messaging Laura on FB? https://www.facebook.com/ESPOSpringsnThings

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk