News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 06, 2024, 06:04:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tach/Intermittant Wiper Switch  (Read 3748 times)

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
Tach/Intermittant Wiper Switch
« on: December 18, 2013, 04:44:58 PM »
So, I did a Ford tach, which I bought from Vangremlin, and intermittant wiper switch on my car. I do not have everything QUITE right, and I need to take it back apart and correct my mistakes. I BELIEVE I have this figured out, but guidance would be good.

1) Ford tachs need to be grounded. Do not ask me why mine works, but it does. I have a Sport and therefore had a Factory tach. Three wires into a factory splicer thing out to two wires. Well, I figured out that the green wire goes to the coil, and the yellow is power. But...there's three wires...OH BOY! One must be the ground. BUZZ! Nope, wrong. One is an ignition switch for my oil pressure and altometer. But I thought it was a ground wire...so I hooked it up as a ground. So, I effectively knocked out two of my gauges.

Correct me if I am wrong. The power cable and ignition cable were both brown. I need to tie those in together and then ground the tach properly....and my tach should work AND my other gauges should work.

2) When I put the intermittant wiper switch in, I just threw the box behind the dash somewhere. And I tested it, and it worked! Joy. Then, I'm driving and ONLY high speed works. Huh? I figure something fell out of place, and I'll have to fix it. AND then I did 2+2...here's the common demoninator: If the lights are off, everything works. If the lights are on, only high speed works.

I do know, I disconnected the ground wire for what I thought was just the little light that lights up "LIghts" "Wiper-Washer". Clearly, it is more than that. Let me know if you think it is different. I need to reconnect the ground for those lights and use a different ground for the wiper switch.

3) WHAT THE heck TOOL DO YOU USE TO GET THE LITTLE WASHER/BOLT OUT OF THE WIPER SWITCH??????

Thanks all!
My list of my cars/toys (or toys at my disposal!)

1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic
1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville
 1962 Cruisers Inc Mahogany Outboard

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 05:19:45 PM by Mernsy »

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
Re: Tach/Intermittant Wiper Switch
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 05:28:43 PM »
Errrg...I didn't realize there was a wiper switch article there.

Ok. My question is why does it work properly when lights are off but not when lights are on?

Tach: Yes, vangremlin sent me the same set of directions. I got confused because he did not have a factory tach in his car; I did. Therefore, I didn't realize the factory tach was grounded into the cluster and I assumed those three wires were the three wires for the tach. One is actually, now I realize, for the rallye gauges. The tach I think I have figured out; I just need to rip everything apart and do it again. The wiper switch has me a little more baffled because it does work some of the time...but not when lights are on.

1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 09:53:17 PM »
My wipers were doing the same thing, only worked on high speed

Thought my switch was bad but it turned out it just waning plugged in good, it pulled it apart and added soe contact lube and plugged it back in and it has been perfect ever since, I think it was not grounding correctly

Grounds cause all kinda weird stuff if they aren't good
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 09:39:41 AM »
Grounds cause all kinda weird stuff if they aren't good

True story. Well, I'm gonna take it apart again Sunday and see what I can figure out.

1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 06:16:34 PM »
BUMP! Here is a video of it working PROPERLY :) Plus, acceleration. Calling Vangremlin!    :eaglebig:

http://youtu.be/kiGlb_WfMg0

Please note; this is like the first video I have ever posted, so I apologize for quality issues, lol.

1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk