News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 04, 2024, 10:17:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wiper linkages  (Read 2579 times)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
Wiper linkages
« on: March 08, 2013, 09:36:28 AM »
Having an issue with my '84 wagon where it keeps chucking the passenger side wiper arm completely off. First time it did this I was able to stop in time to pick up all of the pieces but I lent the car out and only got the wiper arm back.

Firstly what causes the 7/8" lock nut to keep backing off and what can I do to stop it? Last time I put it on I torqued it down as tight as I felt I could without breaking it off or stripping it out.

Lastly where can I get the replacement pieces? I believe all I need is the washer and locknut. The auto part stores don't have(any clue) it, dealer can't get it and there's no Eagles in the wrecking yards near here. Would this part be the same as a Cherokee or some other AMC/Jeep?
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Online AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: Wiper linkages
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 05:11:34 PM »
Well, I'd go junk yarding with my thread gauge and ruler and find a match (or something real close).   I'd bet some old GM of Ford stuff is the same.   According to my parts books, the Jeep stuff is not the same (the pivits attach differently).   The specs for the parts are (from my AMC/Jeep std parts catalog):

Washer is 11/16 ID, 1.060 OD, 0.60 thick, chrome steel

Nut is 11/16 by 24 thread, 0.187 thick, chrome steel

Also, Lambert Auto (Jeep dealer) in NH shows one nut still in stock on PartsVoice.

Good hunting.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 09:28:32 PM »
Sounds like the locking tab was missing. The linkage bushing on my pass side was shot and it kept chucking the rod underneath till I replaced it.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 09:47:10 PM »
I had one side that the threads got stripped out on my spirit,  kept coming off and dropping inside the cowl

Swiped the whole assembly from a 74 gremlin parts car, worked perfect

Gotta love how AMC used the same stuff for so many years on different cars, has saved me a fortune

Rob
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 06:39:02 PM »
Definitely could be because the locking tab is missing. Only pieces I got for the outside are the flat washer, nut and wiper arm. Would a hefty dose of Lock Tite help?

Gotta love how AMC used the same stuff for so many years on different cars, has saved me a fortune

Absolutely!

Offline lapoltba

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 06:50:26 PM »
I've had good luck with the red (permanent) loctite when used on anything I never intended to have to remove again.    I'd say you should be good with a dab and tighten it down. 

Only way to remove it is with heat after that.

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 12:07:18 PM »
I've had good luck with the red (permanent) loctite when used on anything I never intended to have to remove again.    I'd say you should be good with a dab and tighten it down. 

Only way to remove it is with heat after that.

With a little luck I never hope to mess with it again. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk