News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 23, 2024, 02:40:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: atf 4 for rebuilt tranny  (Read 4123 times)

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
atf 4 for rebuilt tranny
« on: December 27, 2012, 03:03:23 PM »
I know my book says the torqueflites take GM's tranny oil, but is it ok to use ATF 4? I already bought it thinking it was a dodge tranny, and thats dodge fluid, until i Looked.

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
Re: atf 4 for rebuilt tranny
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 09:51:42 AM »
Atf +4 transmission fluid should not be used in our Eagle transmissions. It is slipperier and designed for transmissions with lower clearances between clutches and plates.

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 11:00:37 AM »
Well that sucks. That was expensive and I cant take it back now. How come on the jeep sites people say they use it in their torqueflites. And on dodge forums?

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 11:04:32 AM »
The (objectively) best Torqueflite-compatible trans fluid on the market until recently was Chrysler Mopar ATF+4. It is misunderstood by some to be "too slippery". In fact, ATF+4 is a significantly better fluid in every way than Dexron -II, -III, or -IV and ATF+ (+2, +3), and it does not cause, promote, or aggravate slippage. It maintains the specified viscosity across a temperature range that's wider at both the hot and cold ends, its lubrication and antiwear properties are better, it's more resistant to oxidation, sludging and varnish formation, and it smells better. It might even taste better, I don't know. There's an extremely detailed Chrysler Engineering paper comparing every aspect (except taste) of ATF+4 vs. ATF+3, ATF+2, ATF+, and Dexron-III/IV.

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 05:28:06 PM »
anyone else with experience?????? im just waiting on this, please

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 07:33:35 PM »
I thought I replied a couple days ago, but don't see it. You could probably run motor oil in the old Torqueflite and be fine.  ;D With your rebuilt transmission and filling for the first time, you would probably be fine with the ATF+4, but I wouldn't suggest mixing the two if you have some in the transmission. What does the guy who rebuilt your transmission have to say about it? Maybe he'll trade you for some Dexron.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 07:11:36 PM »
He told me basically what you did, That that tranny would work on crisco and vegetable oil. So im guessing aft-4 should work. All-par says atf 4 is better.

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 02:58:15 PM »
I used ATF+3 when I had mine rebuilt (all Chrysler parts), and topped up with +4. I know with the lockup torque converter running old fashioned Dextron-III it would shudder, and the ATF+3 was designed to fix that.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline dkoug

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
  • 85 Eagle Basic
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 11:08:02 PM »
Hi

FYI

I had to buy some Trans fluid on Xmas day and got lucky, chose Mobil super AFT D/M + FTA D/M

Bothered me and called their tech number and was advised back ward compatible for Dextron II.

Out of the 4 choices this said it was good for pre 2005 GM & Ford.  also for heavy duty C4 which convinced me to try it.

dkoug

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 07:09:21 PM »
That is ATF (automatic Transmission Fluid) Dexron/Mercon synthetic and I'd use it in anything except newer Mopar trans unless I added a bottle of converter modifier fluid from Lube Guard. Almost perfect fluid for our trans, BUT make absolutely sure your trans cooler isn't plugged! It took 4 tries to get all the crud out of mine so it would flow and now it has a slow antifreeze drip from the oring (1 quart in a month)

When I built 727 for the old police cars, the ones down south would use 80W90 in them because they never cooled off!
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 04:56:51 PM »
Im going to stick with the ATF 4. I haven't seen a reason not to. Other websites plus this one says its perfectly fine. Thanks everyone!!!

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 04:57:58 PM »
That is ATF (automatic Transmission Fluid) Dexron/Mercon synthetic and I'd use it in anything except newer Mopar trans unless I added a bottle of converter modifier fluid from Lube Guard. Almost perfect fluid for our trans, BUT make absolutely sure your trans cooler isn't plugged! It took 4 tries to get all the crud out of mine so it would flow and now it has a slow antifreeze drip from the oring (1 quart in a month)

When I built 727 for the old police cars, the ones down south would use 80W90 in them because they never cooled off!

Yep its as clean as a whistle!!!!

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 07:22:05 PM »
The ATF +4 is the best choice.  As it was mentioned earlier, it holds it's viscosity much better than other trans fluid.  D/M in these transmissions, especially if you put your Eagle to work, will thin out and cause slippage and shuddering.  When I rebuild these transmissions, ATF +4 is the only thing that goes into them, the same with most of Chrysler's transmissions.  I've even extended life in a few GM transmissions by switching them to ATF +4.  The only down side is the cost, but like they say, you get what you pay for.

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 09:43:18 PM »
THANKS!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk