News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 23, 2024, 06:22:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Carter BBD settings  (Read 5127 times)

Offline donnyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Carter BBD settings
« on: December 16, 2012, 09:25:11 PM »
Does anyone have pictures of a Carter BBD with the accelerator pump and enrichment needles set correctly? Seems like these two things are critical to getting this engine to run right and be fuel efficient.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Carter BBD settings
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 01:53:43 PM »
It actually depends on a few things. Altitude and engine condition. I set mine by popping the top on the front plate (3 screws on some and just 1 on others. Motor not running) and with the choke off (I push it open with my finger and hit the throttle for the high idle to kick off) then loosen the screw holding the metering rods. They will drop to the leanest point and I push on the tab till they rise up about 1/4" and test run it at that point.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline donnyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 07:03:26 PM »
Something else I just discovered today. Manually adjusting the stepper motor all the way in (rich) has helped allot with throttle response and power. I tried running with the stepper motor all the way out (lean) to improve fuel economy but it never did. It did make the car surge at 1/2>full throttle. I also set it half way in with no improvement in economy, power or smoothness. So far stepper motor full in (rich) is the best. Next I will try adjusting the enrichment needle position to see how it effects everything.
Incidentally for those who don't know how (like me initially) you simply remove the stepper motor and turn the center shaft counter clockwise with to move the needles to the full in (rich) position.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 04:06:43 PM »
Set it midway by turning on the key (before removing the computer and harness), then unplugging it before starting. Economy isn't affected that way.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline donnyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 08:25:15 PM »
For some reason the stepper motor no longer initializes when plugged in and the ignition key turned on. Is that because I did the bypass?

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 08:48:42 PM »
yes

Offline donnyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 09:11:04 PM »
Thanks. I took allot of things off when I did the bypass. I know that the O2 sensor and the knock sensor have to be hooked up for the computer system to work. What other sensors, switches or vacuum lines do I put back.

Offline eagle87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 09:47:26 PM »
do you have an amc eagle service manual silver colour? (dealer type) the computer system components are shown in there
2010 Ford Explorer (Red)
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition (Blue)
2002 JeepGrand Cherokee Overland Edition (Silver) Rolled
2001 Cadillac Deville (Silver) Blown Engine :(
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd (Graphite) Parts Jeep
1998 GMC Safari (Blue)
1990 Mercury Sable (Red)
1987 Eagle Wagon (Beige)
1987 Eagle wagon (Silver)
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited (Brown)
1986 Eagle sedan (Blue)
1983 Eagle SX/4 Sport (Black)
1982 Concord DL (Maroon)
1968 Rebel Conv (Gold)

Offline donnyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 10:00:18 PM »
No I don't have a manual yet.

Offline donnyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 10:11:15 PM »

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 09:16:26 AM »
Awesome site with a ton of info. egg to ya!
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline eagle87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 07:10:28 PM »
if you have a snap on sube scanner with the jeep coupler you can see if all the computer components are working
2010 Ford Explorer (Red)
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition (Blue)
2002 JeepGrand Cherokee Overland Edition (Silver) Rolled
2001 Cadillac Deville (Silver) Blown Engine :(
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd (Graphite) Parts Jeep
1998 GMC Safari (Blue)
1990 Mercury Sable (Red)
1987 Eagle Wagon (Beige)
1987 Eagle wagon (Silver)
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited (Brown)
1986 Eagle sedan (Blue)
1983 Eagle SX/4 Sport (Black)
1982 Concord DL (Maroon)
1968 Rebel Conv (Gold)