News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 03, 2024, 04:29:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need blinker fluid!?!  (Read 3877 times)

Offline BaldEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Need blinker fluid!?!
« on: October 28, 2012, 02:49:13 PM »
The SX4 developed a weird issue............ :banghead:
For some time now, the stereo would cut out when the right-hand turn signal was on, then immediately come back on. It was intermittent, and no big deal, until the turn signals completely stopped working. I cleaned/tightened all the grounds that I could find on the firewall, but to no avail. There is also ground directly from the battery to the fender, and I added about a 10 gauge wire from battery to firewall. Also traced the stereo's power wire, thinking maybe there was a bad connection if it was tied into the turn signal's power, but it just goes right into the harness. Probably the factory stereo's power supply. Now that the stereo is out, the turn signals aren't working at all. Oh yeah, it's not the flasher either...........swapped it out with the hazard's, and the hazards still work. Weird, heh!?! I don't know what the stereo has to do with the blinkers, unless it became the main ground??? I'll be tearing into it further today and tomorrow, and checking this thread periodically, so any thoughts or help would be great!

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
Re: Need blinker fluid!?!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 03:37:04 PM »
I don't know off-hand what the issue is, but here's a guess  

Is it possible that the flasher/turn signal was accidentally routed (somehow) thru the stereo  (flow of electricity)?  once the draw became too much, the stereo lost power, and turned off.

I'm sure you didn't route off the flashers, but it's always possible the flow took that route.  Remember, electricity will always take the path of least resistance.  

I would get the flashers working, then route power to the stereo from a separate source on the harness - Or fuse panel.

Or run it straight off the battery.  You will have to make sure you always turn off the stereo.

Offline BaldEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 04:45:46 PM »
I don't know off-hand what the issue is, but here's a guess 

Is it possible that the flasher/turn signal was accidentally routed (somehow) thru the stereo  (flow of electricity)?  once the draw became too much, the stereo lost power, and turned off.

I'm sure you didn't route off the flashers, but it's always possible the flow took that route.  Remember, electricity will always take the path of least resistance. 

I would get the flashers working, then route power to the stereo from a separate source on the harness - Or fuse panel.

Or run it straight off the battery.  You will have to make sure you always turn off the stereo.

It does look to be something like you're describing here..............since I've got no blinkers now, with the stereo out.
So the trick will be to get the signals working first. I've printed a few wiring diagrams, and am trying to sort out the colors, location, etc. of where to test power to the signals. I'm pretty lost when it comes to what's what at the big connector under the steering column, so maybe I should start at the flasher? I've done some other "tests", like turning on the flashers while the hazards are on...............which sped up the flashing, but didn't tell me anything really. I found and tried grounding the stereo under the dash while the signals were on too, but no change. Heck, I don't even know if the signals will work with just the key on or not, yet.................but have tried all of this running, just in case. Thanks for the reply, once the blinkers are working again, I'll definitely re-route the stereo!
~E

Offline BaldEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 05:51:42 PM »
Part of the problem I'm having apparently, is the differences between my '83, and the '85 diagrams that I got here. I only count 7-9 wires max, coming from the multifunction switch on the diagrams, but 10 wires at the big connector under my steering column. The color codes aren't working out, either, but I have found power with the key on at all the wires for the flasher, and some others at the big connector. I'm kinda lost at what to do now, unless I can get my hands on the right diagrams?

Offline Euphonical

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 01:50:33 PM »
I want to bump this up, because I'm very frustrated. I know BaldEagle wants to pull his hair out <pun intended>. But for me, this is supposed to be my daily driver...that is driven 90 miles a day. I NEED blinkers, and the stereo would be really nice to have as well for such a long drive!

So in driving this car everyday, living in the Pacific Northwest and it's now the rainy season - I'm using the wipers during my commute. This has introduced a new and somewhat entertaining issue to the conversation. For example I was driving home last night, the stereo was stuck in the 'I'm not gonna work no matter what you do to me' position for most of my drive. And it wasn't raining so no wiper usage. I come up on Boring, still about 25 or so minutes to home. It's starting to sprinkle a bit, so I turn on the intermediate wipers, after the wipers were on for a bit the stereo comes on!! The radio station plays MC Hammer "Can't Touch This" hahaha. The stereo cuts out every time the the intermediate wipers wipe. So I'm driving up 26 "do do do do Can't Tou" <w.i.p.e......> "do do do do do do" <w.i.p.e.....> "This do do do do" and all I can do is giggle at this point. This went on all the rest of the way home, granted with different songs - but you get the idea.

Now this morning on my way to work - I realize it's a slightly different problem than originally thought because it was raining harder and the wipers were on full blast (not intermediate). The stereo came on and had no issues with the wipers whatsoever. The wipers wiped and the stereo stayed on until I got closer to Portland and the rain was letting up. That's when I switched the intermediate on the wipers and the stereo started doing it's dance again.

So I'm thinking on/off causes more of a power surge then constant on does. If the blinkers are on they work in on/off capacity, if the intermediate wipers are on they work in an on/off capacity, but if the wipers are on fully they work in a constant on capacity...

So I'm hoping someone has some thoughts on it. BaldEagle and I both have the next two days off from work so we could tear into the dash. BaldEagle is much better on wiring than I am...except when it comes to hooking up electronics - I can string all sorts of things EVERYWHERE (and I do!).

Would anyone have a wiring diagram for this beast that they'd be willing to send us a copy of? I searched all the big brand parts store and it looks like no one has a freaking book for this car!

Offline Euphonical

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 05:09:13 PM »
There are several wiring diagrams in the "Downloads" board.

http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=14417.0

There are some diagrams in the Eaglepedia, too.

http://www.amceaglenest.com/~iowaeagl/guide/index.php?title=Diagram_Section#Electrical_-_Non_Engine
Thank you so much for that, but there seems to be a difference between the 85 diagram that is listed and the 83 SX4 BaldEagle and I are trying to get working  :(

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 12:46:42 PM »
With those problems, I may think about starting at the bulkhead connector. Unplug it and check all the connections there, clean them if they look good and coat with dialectic grease. Follow along as the harness goes around the driver's side to the lights looking for goobered up repairs.

It's at least a start.

Pull the radio pod out next and see if things are hacked up back there. You have a gremlin in that car somewhere!
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline BaldEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 06:38:03 PM »
With those problems, I may think about starting at the bulkhead connector. Unplug it and check all the connections there, clean them if they look good and coat with dialectic grease. Follow along as the harness goes around the driver's side to the lights looking for goobered up repairs.

It's at least a start.

Pull the radio pod out next and see if things are hacked up back there. You have a gremlin in that car somewhere!

Good idea...........I had seen that bulkhead connector in the wiring diagrams that we got, but didn't know if there was any trick to pulling it or not. I can barely get my hand in there, let alone pull on the thing! We did get the blinkers and radio working temporarily by running a jumper wire from the fuse box to the flasher. Since that extra power supplied to the flasher worked, and we've not blown a single fuse yet, I suspect a dirty connection somewhere, like the bulkhead plug, instead of a short. I've pulled the radio already, and all of the connections are done right with butt connectors, so I'll get to the BH plug sometime soon. Big thanks to everyone that helped here, and I'll post when it's finally fixed!
~E

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 07:51:44 PM »
I believe there's one bolt down the middle holding the connector together. I can't recall what it is.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk